Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all for your advice. I will look further into this problem and if need be will take it to the shop for them to repair. I will post a follow up to what ever the problem was after it is no longer a problem.
Merry Christmas to all,
Bebop
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBOP View Post
I turn on either left or right signal and I get both indicators blinking as though the hazard switch had been pushed. Could this be the flasher failing.
I just finished checking the motorhome and cannot isolate the problems. The following is the info I learned today while checking out the motorhome.

The problem with the directional lights is that only when the headlights are on the turn signals are malfunctioning. I turn on a left or right signal and the lights work ok but the indicators on the dash won’t cancel. The one I have turned on (left for example}, stays on when I move the signal lever back to the middle. I move the signal lever to the right and then I have both of the indicator lights on but they are not blinking. I can only turn the indicator lights off by turning the headlights off. I turn the headlights back on and the indicator lights are out. In Spite of all this the outside turn lights are all working as they should and so are the headlights. It doesn’t seem to make any difference if the toad is hooked on or not, as it doesn’t change anything and all the signal lights on the toad work OK as they do on the motorhome. It is just the indicator lights in the dash.

I also have a headlight problem but I have never driven at night so didn't realize it until I got caught in the dark the other night for about an hour. The head lights seem to have one pointing at the ground and one at the moon. One of those headlight assys was full of moisture and replaced under warranty a couple few years back and may not have ever been adjusted after it was installed.

I wondered if it might just be a flasher going bad but haven’t replaced either of them. The Hazard lights work OK.

This dash has had 5 instrument panels replaced and maybe something got left loose and just came disconnected?

Now does anybody have any ideas with this current and accurate impute.

thanks for any advice,

Bill
Old 12-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I vote for a defective multi-function switch.
TAMU62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
If nothing else works, I would check the plug at the rear of the motorhome for the toad. I have seen wires get shorted in here and cause all sorts of weird things.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have also seen shorted bulb socket contacts in the tail light assemblies create problems that sometimes are found much later in the diagnostic effort.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #20

I have encountered such symptoms after body work was done.Wiring is often a puzzle to the body man and the way RV manufacturers install wiring, the body man has my understanding.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do your side clearance lights blink, or are they supposed to?
Your symptoms are almost identical to mine. Since everything outside blinks it has gotten to be 'low priority' for me. I have always heard, that when an indicator light stays on or doesn't blink, normally u have a bad bulb but I can't find it. I still think my mid ship signals have something to do with it; and they add complications to the wiring.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Do your side clearance lights blink, or are they supposed to?.
I wish mine did ... I see it as a safety issue and I have been threatening to make it happen at least on the side view mirrors if no where else. Someone gets up in the blind spot ... and it could be very easy to signal and begin a move toward the passing lane.

A lot 18W trucks will have side signals and I think that the need is keyed on the length of the vehicle and not so much the weight. When we're towing a car, I get up to 50+ feet but the rule probably calls for 55 or more.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, all the bulbs front, back, and sides are signaling. the only problem is the dash indicator is locking up with the indicator lights staying on. I have to turn the headlights off to get those indicator lights to go off. There is no problem unless the headlights are on. ?????
Old 12-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEBOP View Post
Yes, all the bulbs front, back, and sides are signaling. the only problem is the dash indicator is locking up with the indicator lights staying on. I have to turn the headlights off to get those indicator lights to go off. There is no problem unless the headlights are on. ?????
i would suggest that you clean all the headlight connections and plugs with sandpaper and contact cleaner and make a new ground wire for both of your headlight assemblies.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Won't help fix his problem - but every workhorse owner should follow this:
"From Workhorse 2009 version manual page 8."
Improper wiring to towed unit can cause chassis and towed unit electrical problems.
Towed unit wiring is often added and is often spliced into Workhorse Chassis wiring.
Towed unit electrical requirements above 6 amps that is spliced into chassis wiring can
overload the chassis turn signal and/or 4 way flasher switch resulting in switch continued
failure. There are market kits that use relays such that the operating current does not go
through the turn signal or 4-way flasher switch. These relay kits are recommended in
place of cutting into chassis wiring

I have converted toad tow lights to LED to reduce load on multi-function switch, much simpler and cheaper than the relay route
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Here's a possibility. With bulbs that contain two filaments you can get a short between two circuits. One filament breaks, falls and welds itself to the other filament. About the only way to trouble shoot this problem is by replacing each double filament bulb one at a time. This can be a real head scratcher.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Here's a possibility. With bulbs that contain two filaments you can get a short between two circuits. One filament breaks, falls and welds itself to the other filament. About the only way to trouble shoot this problem is by replacing each double filament bulb one at a time. This can be a real head scratcher.
I concur. Removing all the bulbs in the circuits (at the same time) helps rule out this as a problem very quickly.

Inspect the bulbs and restore them one at a time.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
If that did happen, is it possible for both filaments to continue to work properly as Bebop says his does, and mine do too? If so, I could try changing my front 2 as the rears are LED
I wonder what %age of us that have blinking clearance lights
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote