Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Do bad bearings squeal

Hey Everbody
I have a situation which is scaring me. My W22 sometimes makes a squealing noise when I take a fairly tight left turn curve. The squealing continues for several seconds and then goes away. It sounds like metal on metal and pitch of the squeal goes up with speed. I just completed a 1200 mile trip and never heard it once but the twisty turn little road I drive to get to my storage place will produce it almost every time. I had my alignment guy look for a problem but he couldn't spot anything. I crawled around underneath looking for anything unusual and came up empty. Could this be a bearing going bad. I have never experienced a bad bearing so I am not sure what to look/listen for. I have a long trip coming up soon and would like to get this resolved soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JIm
AvoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
AvoJim, I had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to be the center hub on the chrome wheel insert had come loose. The pop-rivet's holding it together had broke. Mine problem was on the driver rear wheel insert and it was a loud squeal. It drove me crazy trying to find it. Good Luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #3

Thanks MR JP

The sound does appear to come from the right rear of the coach. It would be a big relief if that is what it is. Will check it out tomorrrow.

Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
AvoJim, I had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to be the center hub on the chrome wheel insert had come loose. The pop-rivet's holding it together had broke. Mine problem was on the driver rear wheel insert and it was a loud squeal. It drove me crazy trying to find it. Good Luck JP

You reminded me. I have had those wheel covers make noises like described. My covers were loose or seated crooked. Happened at low speeds.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2005 W22 makes a ching-ching type of noise on wet roads. Was really loud yesterday and I stopped. Looked and crawled all over but couldn't find a thing. Ran beside it while my wife drove in a parking lot but nothing. About 15 miles later it did it again but quit after a few seconds. I'm wondering if it could be water and dirt getting into the parkig brake. Any ideas?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSDP View Post
Any ideas?
Take a look at the lower part of the radiator shroud to see if the fan might be hitting ..... Take the dog house OFF and run around with the vehicle in the local area to see if it's an engine noise. Might be the idler pulley or something related to the serpentine belt.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
AvoJim,
I suspect you are "loading" the power steering unit during a turn, causing the drive belt to squeal as it skates across the stalling pulley. You could apply a belt dressing to the drive belt to see it that reduces the severity. The belt will become glazed over time and the problem will worsen. Check the tensioner pully to see that it is loading the belt proberly.

Bearings will squeal for only a very short time (seconds to a couple of minutes at most) before they seize up and start spitting out itty bitty pieces of molten steel. They do not "come and go" ...once they are headed to ruin, they are toast.
Take care,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good man View Post
Take care ...
Jim. I agree with 98% of what you wrote. I would add that using a belt dressing will alleviate or temporarily eliminate the noise however belt dressing is not recommended as a routine remedy.

Once the noise has been attenuated by the dressing, the recommendation would be to replace the belt absent mechanical issues in the belt hardware.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
You are absolutely correct DriVer... I did not mean to make belt dressing a final solution, just a diagnostic tool.

I'm wondering also about the condition of the bearings on any idler and tensioner pulleys... since they are not under the pressure of the wheel bearings, they could sing the "death song" a little longer than the wheel bearings. ...Although that would not explain the intermittent squeal.

Still suspect the power steering unit vs. the drive belt, since it happens on the turns.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #10

The noise occurs at 40-45 mph on fairly tight curves to the left. It seems to me if it were connected to the power steering or the serpentine belt that the noise could occur at any speed and indepentent of direction of turn. Slow maneuvering in city traffic and moving in and out of parking spaces does not produce the squeal. Also driving 65 mph on the freeway where the curves are gentle does not cause it to happen. As I mentioned earlier I just completed a 1200 mile trip with no squeal but on the short twisty drive to the storage area after unloading at home I had three episodes. Nevertheless I thank you for your input and will keep your thoughts in mind as I pursue this problem. Also I am really glad to hear that it is probably not a wheel bearing. Thanks!!
Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
"The noise occurs at 40-45 mph on fairly tight curves to the left."

OK... Now I am wondering if you may have a loose brake caliper of some other component inside the wheel which is G-forced against the spinning hub on the left turns. Removing the wheel and inspecting the parts for signs of a rubbing or scraping may reveal the cause.... just thinking out loud.
Keep the faith,
Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #12

Good Man
I have had the same thought about the calipers but have to confess that I go brain dead from time to time. I just had the brake recall done and did not ask them to look for a source of the squeal. Also I just installed a Steer Safe after the brake work and the squeal appears to be worse after the combination of new calipers and the Steer Safe. I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed hoping that it is the previously mentioned wheel cover.
I will post elsewhere what I think of the Steer Safe after I have had enough time to evaluate it but short time reaction based on about 20 minutes of driving on the twisty road where the squeal happens is I love it.
Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvoJim View Post
Thanks MR JP

The sound does appear to come from the right rear of the coach. It would be a big relief if that is what it is. Will check it out tomorrrow.

Jim
Just do what I did years ago with my old pickup. Jack the rear wheels off the ground, get in and start it up and put it in gear. Stick something heavy on the accelerator or have a friend step on the gas. Then crawl under and listen for the noise.

I AM KIDDING of course. But I was stupid enough to do just that years ago and SURVIVED. Turned out my noise was a bad U joint.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
I AM KIDDING of course. But I was stupid enough to do just that years ago and SURVIVED. Turned out my noise was a bad U joint.
While I was up North working my FD job, I recall 1 incident where an oil delivery truck man went under his truck to knock the PTO out of gear. The sleve on his coat got caught up in the pto shaft ....