Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig G:
And DriVer...if I can't get over there asap, and I do call to ask, do I simply ask them "did you put transynd in the tranny?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you do that, you're not painting them in a corner. Just ask them what type of transmission fluid they used or ask to see the decanter or drum. If it says Dextron III then you have a case.

They might tell you anything over the phone. Now some shops will retain the descriptions of the SKU in their point of sale software. It does not mean that they in fact used D3. So this is why you need to know. Let them tell you what they used without you suggesting Transynd.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 06:46 AM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Originally posted by Toby:
I think the W-22 is noted for having warped manifolds. s/Toby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is an inaccurate claim. Don't worry about it.

We sometimes hear about broken studs but warped manifolds isn't a routine problem that may be claimed to be notable. The 454 is a different situation all together however that engine was never installed in a W series.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 AM   #17

DriVer, your thoughts on the ticking being relating to a 'PRESSURE LINE LEAKING' as noted by dealer technician?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is the first I have heard of this..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Perhaps it is the first you heard of it because it simply is not true. The original post started with "I think...." ED
Old 05-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FWIW, I doubt a leaking pressure line makes a clicking sound. That said, I want to tell you what was said by Allison factory reps at a recent seminar: Allison said they would rather see a "catastrophic failure" where all the fluid was lost suddenly, than to have a slow leak. The explaination was that when all fluid is lost suddenly, the tranny will simply stop working and little or no damage is done. However, when a slow leak is allowed to persist, the tranny will continue to try to work with an ever decreasing amount of fluid, resulting in overheating and possible internal damage before it shuts down for lack of lubrication.

If I were you, I'd plan on making lots of frequent stops on level surfaces to check the fluid level (with the motor running and the tranny in "park"). Add as necessary, but get this problem corrected soon, as it won't get any better over time.

RE TranSynd: IF your chassis came with TranSynd as standard, the Dextron III will not HURT it, but you should be adding TS to minimize the effect of having the cheaper stuff put in by mistake. Don't forget to reuse the magnet when you change the external filter at 5,000 miles. ED
Old 05-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #20

Thanks Ed Gray...
I also called allison techs at allison, said IF they did mix the 2, I will be fine-"not a problem at all, but to make ya feel better get full transynd put back in when you take it back-but yer fine"