Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2006, 04:39 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Aside from that it's all good! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a matter of fact it is.

We like the coach, the performace is great with all the mods, and I've started addressing the handling with the Koni FSD's, with more to come. I'll live with the cluster and A/C issues for now.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2006, 05:03 AM   #44

Mid Atlantic Campers
Me to, I love my coach. And, I'll keep digging in my pocket to over come some inherent design deficiencies. Driver, it is very apparent that alot of AC dash units are less then satisfactory, therefore the $1500 crystal air upgrade. Did WCC just decide to develop a much more efficiant AC unit for the He-- of it, I think not. They decided to help out their customers with an obvious problem, so please, gimme a break bro. The poor performance of the dash AC is a design flaw and nothing less.

PS. does anyone here have to turn down their AC because it gets to cold ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure how a leather-wrap steering-wheel cover, steel vs aluminum wheels, or ˜new-technology' relate to the current air-conditioner discussion, unless the implication is that we're buying these "add-ons" to overcome a manufacturer's cost/quality-cutting measures?

Or that current WH owners should sit around (on their hands?) waiting to buy a 2007? Or did DriVer mean that the 2007's will have the ˜upgrade' air-conditioner system, leather-covers, full Alcoa wheels, and so on?

Maybe I'm just confused.

But I'm not confused about JustMe13 asking whether I have to turn down my A/C because it gets too cold: The answer is an emphatic YES !! .... On my current HR-DP, my previous Ford F53 motorhome, my Jeep Wrangler (even with the soft-top), my stick-house, and the list goes on. But NEVER on the W22 while I'd owned it.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
... unless the implication is that we're buying these "add-ons" to overcome a manufacturer's cost/quality-cutting measures? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>First off you are outside the sphere of influence of owning a Workhorse and you are not obligated to buy anything for a Workhorse. Your current motorhome must be close to perfect however we have previous Workhorse owners here that have nothing but good to say about their ownership experience. I think I will go with those because since you've burnt your bridges already it's easy to snipe at Workhorse from the other side of the fence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But NEVER on the W22 while I'd owned it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think you are confused at all, you seem to be enjoying this. Oemy and I have already addressed the possibility that the integration of the air conditioning system into your previous coach may be suspect however it's all water under the bridge for you.

I wish you much success with your new rig.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Did WCC just decide to develop a much more efficient AC unit for the He-- of it, I think not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Crystal Cool Air System is designed and manufactured by an independent 3rd party vendor and it's marketed and sold by Workhorse as an air conditioning system accessory. (read after market) As a stand alone component it can not provide any cooling benefits.

I do not see the air conditioning system as flawed on the Workhorse chassis for the reasons that both Oemy and I spoke about. My wife and I constantly have fights about the A/C system. She's constantly wanting me to turn the thing down so you can also ask her.

Now if you're going to call my missus a liar, just remember she's Irish and she does own a Shillelagh.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Well said, DriVer, well said.

Yes, you are correct, my stake in this topic has evolved. Although it does not concern me personally any more, I remain very interested in its progress and outcome. The AC issue was not the sole driving force in causing me to move-on, but certainly did pay a large part. Was it just me, or is it something inherent in the design? We may never know.

And, yes I do enjoy this, to the extent I think anyone would enjoy a spirited discussion about a popular subject. You and I are just as set in our beliefs, but on opposite sides of the camp. Heck, if it weren't for passion, we'd probably all be a very boring society.

I appreciate your comments.

(who's "oemy"?)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #49

I own a '98 Winnie on a Chevy chassis. While we really enjoy this coach, my only regret is that it is not a couple of years newer and on a WCC. Maybe I am missing something here. Does workhorse now provide the entire AC system? On my coach the only part that was provided by the chassis mfg. was the compressor for the 7.4L engine. The condensor and all other parts were provided by a third party to Winnebago for assembly. At least that is how Winnebago explained it to me when I was looking for parts.

If that is the case, why is everyone getting on Workhorse for a problem that rightfully should be directed at the coach manufacturer?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #50

Mid Atlantic Campers
I would in no way ever refer to your missus as a liar, but you on the other hand

Omey never said there wasn't a problem, he refered to some coach builders possably causing the problem. You however don't seem to have the problem, but what about the rest of us? I wonder how many different brands we represent. Bottom line my AC works like poo poo, and I don't think it's right to have to pay $1500 for a workhore "after market fix/upgrade/cure/improved model/ after thought"

I would give my left --t if I ever had to turn down my ac.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
Does workhorse now provide the entire AC system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's the complete breakdown since you asked.

source: 2006 Workhorse Motorhome Chassis Guide

AIR CONDITIONING

Workhorse motor home chassis come standard with approximately half of the dash air
conditioning components. The components supplied by Workhorse are mounted to the chassis
during chassis manufacturing. The remaining components are installed by the body
manufacturers due to the multiple interior configurations. The components provided by
Workhorse are:

WORKHORSE RESPONSIBILITY
Components supplied by Workhorse:

1. Delphi/Harrison compressor used on all motor home chassis.
2. Condenser, mounted in front of the radiator
(has been offered with a pre-charge of 1.5 lbs. of
refrigerant-total system capacity determined by
body manufacturer).
3. High-pressure switch, mounted by the receiver
dryer.
4. Receiver drier mounted to the right hand side of
the condenser.
5. Electric Condenser fan(s) mounted on the
condenser or on the external transmission
cooler, position in front of the condenser,
controlled by the PCM.
6. Compressor discharge hose (shipped loose).
7. Low-pressure switch (shipped loose).

NOT WORKHORSE RESPONSIBILITY
Component supplied by the body manufacturer:

1. A/C and heater controls.
2. All other A/C hoses.
3. Evaporator core.
4. Ducts and vent work.
5. Blower motor.
6. Other switches and wiring.
7. All dash heating components.
8. Heater control valve.
9. Thermostatic expansion valve or orifice tube.
10. Final refrigerant/oil fill and testing.

The air conditioning system operates on the same principles of refrigeration. That is, a liquid refrigerant absorbs heat as it vaporizes and loses heat as it condenses from a vapor back to a liquid. By varying the pressure within an air conditioning system, the refrigerant can be vaporized to absorb heat from inside the vehicle, and then condensed to release the heat to the outside atmosphere. System components include a compressor, condenser, expansion tube or a thermostatic expansion valve, evaporator and an accumulator or a receiver dryer. In operation, the compressor produces the pressure that moves refrigerant through the system. Liquid refrigerant passing through the restriction of the expansion tube, or valve, changes into a vapor as it enters the low-pressure environment of the evaporator.

Basic Air Conditioning System
As it changes to vapor, it absorbs heat from the air being circulated around the evaporator. Suction created by the compressor draws the refrigerant vapor through the line from the evaporator. The vapor, which has been under low pressure, is pumped out of the compressor under high pressure. The high pressure in this part of the system is due to the expansion tube (or thermostatic expansion valve) which places a restriction in the line. As the high-pressure refrigerant vapor flows into the condenser, it changes to a liquid as it loses heat to the air flowing around the condenser. The liquid refrigerant flows through the line from the condenser to the expansion tube (or thermostatic valve) to repeat the cycle. System temperature is controlled by running the compressor intermittently, automatically turning it on and off as necessary to maintain proper temperatures. The compressor is started and stopped through the use of an electromagnetic clutch on the compressor pulley.

The clutch is operated by a temperature-sensing switch (thermostatic switch). In addition to the components described above, the air conditioning system is also equipped with a receiver-dehydrator. The receiver-dehydrator, mounted near the condenser, serves as a reservoir, for storage of high-pressure liquid produced in the condenser. It incorporates a screen sack filled with the dehydrating agent. Although the primary use is a liquid storage tank, the receiver-dehydrator also functions to trap minute quantities of moisture and foreign material that may have entered the system after installation or service operation. A refrigerant sight glass is built into the receiver-hydrator to be used as a quick check of the state and condition of charge of the entire system.

As it changes to vapor, it absorbs heat from the air being circulated around the evaporator. Suction created by the compressor draws the refrigerant vapor through the line from the evaporator. The vapor, which has been under low pressure, is pumped out of the compressor under high pressure. The high pressure in this part of the system is due to the expansion tube (or thermostatic expansion valve) which places a restriction in the line. As the high-pressure refrigerant vapor flows into the condenser, it changes to a liquid as it loses heat to the air flowing around the condenser. The liquid refrigerant flows through the line from the condenser to the expansion tube (or thermostatic valve) to repeat the cycle. System temperature is controlled by running the compressor intermittently, automatically turning it on and off as necessary to maintain proper temperatures. The compressor is started and stopped through the use of an electromagnetic clutch on the compressor pulley. The clutch is operated by a temperature-sensing switch (thermostatic switch). In addition to the components described above, the air conditioning system is also equipped with a receiver-dehydrator. The receiver-dehydrator, mounted near the condenser, serves as a reservoir, for storage of high-pressure liquid produced in the condenser. It incorporates a screen sack filled with the dehydrating agent. Although the primary use is a liquid storage tank, the receiver-dehydrator also functions to trap minute quantities of moisture and foreign material that may have entered the system after installation or service operation. A refrigerant sight glass is built into the receiver-hydrator to be used as a quick check of the state and condition of charge of the entire system.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 PM   #52

Mid Atlantic Campers
And................. So why doesn't it work like any other AC system, like keep occupants in said Vehicle cool

I know you got writers cramp.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
So why doesn't it work like any other AC system, like keep occupants in said Vehicle cool... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm concerned about unrealistic expectations. I was just running around today in our toad and man the A/C was kicking butt but hey! It's a small car and the A/C works too good.

A motorhome on the hand is not a car however the A/C works and performs within reasonable expectations.

This is my last resort, let us pray.....

Oh Lord thy sun is so powerful and thy sun dreshed lands are vast. As we set out on our travels on the heat soaked roads that grace thy land may we travel in the comfort of our air conditing that it may provide to us comfort as we view in awe the beautiful vistas that thy has set out for us to enjoy. We pray in thy name, Amen.

I'm all out of ideas ......
Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Huh. Ok, now that's some information I didn't know. I'd always been led to believe (by my original dealer, 2 service-places, and even a WH-rep on the phone) that the entire air-conditioning system is a WH product. Now I see at least ˜some' of it isn't?

I'd be willing to concede a draw, DriVer, if you're willing to admit (come on, you've almost done it on several occasions) that your dash A/C is marginal at best WHILE SLOW or STOPPED... and not while tooling around or cruising down the Interstate, in general not up to par compared to other vehicle A/C systems out there. To continue to introduce hyperbole into the SLOW or STOPPED question with at-speed rebuttals doesn't help to get to the bottom of the discussion.

(the best I could find to a handshake smiley)

Old 05-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I reside in Az. When outside air is above 105 I can tell you first hand that the air coming out of the ac outlets is cold on my coach. The problem is there isn't enough of it to cool much volume other then immediately next to these outlets.

If your heading into the sun forget it. Heat gain in the windshield is too great. Heading away, the system works great.

Only complaint is the slow repsonse of the temp control dial.

Marty
Old 05-24-2006, 05:31 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
I'd always been led to believe (by my original dealer, 2 service-places, and even a WH-rep on the phone) that the entire air-conditioning system is a WH product. Now I see at least ˜some' of it isn't? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm glad that I presented the information that was available to me about the A/C system in a manner that demonstrated who's on first and what's on second .....!

There are as many as 15 different implementations of a complete air conditioning system that is tapped into the hi-pressure side of the Workhorse equipment. You can see it can be challenging and some manufacturers will do their system unlike any of the others.

My system appears to be doing well and I do regret any of the difficulties that my fellow forum members maybe experiencing. Regardless there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that is your Authorized WCC Service Center.

Stay the course and continue to work it out between WCC and the coach builder if that's the case but bottom line is that you should be able to get a descent operating air conditioning system.

FYI: (Little known factoid) Did you know that the air conditioning system on the X-15 can cool down a movie theater, it's true!

OOPs ... News flash! The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts. (just kidding - I know don't quit your day job!) Say good night Dick!