Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, I want to thank you guys for sharing your WH experience and giving advice. This is by far the best place I have found where I can learn how to fix, or get fixed ,problems with my Workhorse. We all have some things in common.
My dash air works OK (Not freeze you out) at highway speeds but in stop and go conditions it seems like it does'nt even try to cool off and blows hot air. It seems like the compressor is turning off and maybe back on again even tho it might be 90 degrees in and out side.
I guess I should be thankful that it works some of the time but that same feature may make it hard to diagnose.
I picked up the MoHo after they dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump. They brought it around to me with the AC blowing on Hi but hot air. I thought maybe they left something disconnected. The svc writer and 3 different techs , at different times ,were looking at it, trying to find something that they might have done. None of the freon lines were getting cold either.
Finally after turning the AC on and off after 10 times or so , they heard the compressor turn on and line started getting cold.
We have a trip planned for Lake Powell this TH right after my yougest son's graduation so I did'nt want to leave it at the shop.
They did'nt know what could be wrong with it and thought it might be a big job just figuring out why it's doing what it's doing.
Has anyone else had a similar problem with their WH dash air? If so , we're you able to get it fixed? Could you tell me what your problem was so maybe I could plant seed in their ear as to what it might be.
I've been to Lake Powell before and have seen it 95 degrees at midnight , so the AC will certainly get a workout (or NOT) while we are there.
Thanks
I really thought that they left something disconnected, but since it started working by it's self , all of a sudden, I'm thinking that, that is why I notice it starting to blow hot air when I idling or stop and go conditions.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, I want to thank you guys for sharing your WH experience and giving advice. This is by far the best place I have found where I can learn how to fix, or get fixed ,problems with my Workhorse. We all have some things in common.
My dash air works OK (Not freeze you out) at highway speeds but in stop and go conditions it seems like it does'nt even try to cool off and blows hot air. It seems like the compressor is turning off and maybe back on again even tho it might be 90 degrees in and out side.
I guess I should be thankful that it works some of the time but that same feature may make it hard to diagnose.
I picked up the MoHo after they dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump. They brought it around to me with the AC blowing on Hi but hot air. I thought maybe they left something disconnected. The svc writer and 3 different techs , at different times ,were looking at it, trying to find something that they might have done. None of the freon lines were getting cold either.
Finally after turning the AC on and off after 10 times or so , they heard the compressor turn on and line started getting cold.
We have a trip planned for Lake Powell this TH right after my yougest son's graduation so I did'nt want to leave it at the shop.
They did'nt know what could be wrong with it and thought it might be a big job just figuring out why it's doing what it's doing.
Has anyone else had a similar problem with their WH dash air? If so , we're you able to get it fixed? Could you tell me what your problem was so maybe I could plant seed in their ear as to what it might be.
I've been to Lake Powell before and have seen it 95 degrees at midnight , so the AC will certainly get a workout (or NOT) while we are there.
Thanks
I really thought that they left something disconnected, but since it started working by it's self , all of a sudden, I'm thinking that, that is why I notice it starting to blow hot air when I idling or stop and go conditions.
Denver, Colorado
Old 05-21-2006, 05:56 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine will blow HOT every once in a while. It even blows HOT when I am using the outside vent whitout the AC. I just returned from a trip and I played with it ---It was 60 degrees outside and the vent air was blowing Hot--I turned the thermostat up to Hot for a Min. and then to Cold. after about 30 seconds, the air was equal to the outside Temp. The same happened later in the day, with the Dash air on--I did the same thing and it worked fine.
I do not use the Dash Heat and I think it may have built up some sludge or something. I plan to run the Heat every once and a while to see if it corrects itself.

There were some post earlier, concerning the Heat regulator valve, --it seemed to leak a small amount of hot water , nullifiying the air ccooling process.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #4

My '05 Sightseer on the P-32 blew hot air when stopped also, then blew cold when you drove. I always turned it off when I stopped at a stoplight.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
My '05 Sightseer on the P-32 blew hot air when stopped also, then blew cold when you drove. I always turned it off when I stopped at a stoplight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you ever try to get it fixed or is that just the way it is?
That's sad if we have to lower our expectations for a new Workhorse. All of my other vehicles blow cold , even at idle, and fast too.
Denver, Colorado
Old 05-21-2006, 08:10 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I used to have that problem, it blowing hot air when I felt it should be cold. So I installed an in-line shut off valve on the heater 'in' line. I used to control it from a old style chock control mounted in my dash. But I have upgraded it since to a button that controls a solenoid on a 12v shut off valve. I'm about to add a micro switch so it will automatically open it when the switch is turned to 'heat', takes a micro switch and a relay and it's done. Anyway, since I had done this I get cold air even in traffic and I live in Los Angeles we have some of the best traffic. The air is installed by the coach builder, even though WH is very accommodating in helping to get the repair right. I just went a little further.

Lake Powell - now nice, weather 95 day 74 night water temp 71. and climbing. Have a good time
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:53 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks YosemiteBobR, I don't know if that's my problem or not but if it helped a little bit , it'd be worth it. It does seem like pretty hot air coming out when I have it on vent position.
I just looked at mine and the heater hoses are pretty easy to get to. As far as getting an inline , positive shutoff valve ,that fits the heater hose, is that something that might be readily for sale at an auto parts store or is this something I might have to go to Home Depot plumbing dept. for?
Denver, Colorado
Old 05-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max 49.....
I did this mod and it works well. Home Depot or Lowes plumbing. Just get a inline on/off valve and reducers - adapter to hose fittings and a couple of stainless clamps and your in business. This way during the winter months just turn the valve handle back to get the warm water circulating through the heater again.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:26 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Guys,

When using the dash air in slow or stopped traffic, simply reach over and set the control knob to MAX A/C. That recirculates cool air from the coach instead of hot air from outside.

I suffered with this same problem before I stumbled upon this procedure.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
That is a good point ding-a-ling. However it extended over the entire heating/AC system for me as why I went the way I did. I got the parts I needed from McMaster Carr, they are also on line.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
There are a number of problems with the dash air.
1) The Evans Tempcon valve is almost worthless as a control valve.
2) Adding a shut off valve and using max air is probably the easiest solution.
3) The box that holds the evap coil is not insulated.
4) The air intake for Normal A/C operation uses engine bay air. This can be as high 100 to 120 degrees in slow moving traffic. Add this to item 1 and the A/C blows hot air.

I am trying to find a manual version of the control valve that I can control. I am also looking at an insulation package for the A/C box. Lastly I am designing a Cold Air Intake. But, all of this is not at the top of the list right now.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #12

The clutch energizing wiring for the A/C compressor may have gotten a loose connection or even the clutch itself may be going out. It is easy to get to. Take off the engine cover..the A/C compressor is practically looking you in the face. There are a couple of wires that go to it that energize the clutch and de-energize it for the compressor to either pump or freewheel. Check these wires and terminations clips. Sometimes they get knocked loose or accidentally come loose and don't make good connection.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you add the manual control valve between the "Evans Tempcon?" valve and the heater core?
As a temporary test or if I don't get the time to buy the parts and install them, would pinching the hose off before the heater core, do the same thing temporarily?
If the strange looking electric valve about a foot from the heater core, (I'm assuming this may be the "Evans Tempcon" valve, is working properly, am I correct to assume that there should be no water or antifreeze circulating thru the heater core?

YosemiteBob, did you eliminate the Evans Tempcon valve or did you just add your 2nd valve?
Also , it sounds like you've been to lake Powell before. I'm glad to hear it still cools off a little at nite.
Denver, Colorado
Old 05-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
If I add a manual control valve the Evans Tempcon is removed.

I wouldn't pinch the hose... Just remove it and put shut off valve in. You can get most/all of what you need at Home Depot of Lowes.

Yep that ugly looking thing with some wires attache to it is the valve in question. Just grab the heater side of the hose (after warm up) and check to see if it warm/hot to see if the valve is working.