Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking Dog House Removal

I noticed from a goggle search that removing the dog house cover is a common problem. I had the same problem so would like to share the solution, at least as it applies to my model of coach. I have a 2007 Itasca, 35A Sunrise motorhome with a W24 chassis.

I found two machine screws, one on each side of the cover adjacent to the firewall and partially hidden by carpet, that have to be removed. In addition, there is a cantilevered type latch on the underside of the cover, located in the center of the rear of the dog house. The latch will accept a flat, large screwdriver, however the access hole is also difficult to find through the carpet material. Once located, I turned the latch counter clockwise which releases the entire cover. Then it is easily lifted off from the top.

I have attached some pictures which should help explain the process.

Knightly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020493(1).JPG
Views:	946
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	57034   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020494(1).JPG
Views:	896
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	57035  

Name:	P1020495(1).JPG
Views:	423
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	57036   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020496(1).JPG
Views:	545
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	57037  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
This is cool. I have never seen what it looked like in there!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The twist latch at the back is actually an allen socket - wrench comes with the owners manual pack.

I tossed the front screws, just use the rear latch. Sometimes it does come unlatched, has been adjusted to be tight. It came back one time and my buddy's camera was sitting there and it got sucked into the fan. Hmmm...he bought a new camera. LOL. We turned around and went back, found it and got the sd card out of it so at least he got his pics.

I've insulated doghouse covers before but this one is really quiet.

BTW, there's another allen wrench supplied with the Velvac mirror pack as well - check those mirror heads! We had one come loose in a wind storm going down the hiway, thought the mirror head was gonna pop off, it was twisting all around.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
I noticed from a goggle search that removing the dog house cover is a common problem. I had the same problem so would like to share the solution, at least as it applies to my model of coach. I have a 2007 Itasca, 35A Sunrise motorhome with a W24 chassis.

I found two machine screws, one on each side of the cover adjacent to the firewall and partially hidden by carpet, that have to be removed. In addition, there is a cantilevered type latch on the underside of the cover, located in the center of the rear of the dog house. The latch will accept a flat, large screwdriver, however the access hole is also difficult to find through the carpet material. Once located, I turned the latch counter clockwise which releases the entire cover. Then it is easily lifted off from the top.

I have attached some pictures which should help explain the process.

Knightly
the ''latch'' is actuated with a 5/16 allen wrench. it was included in the ''big black satchel'' when i bought my moho used.
the latch is an over center design and can be adjusted to keep it from coming loose by itself. a tight latch puts forward pressure on the doghouse, keeping it in close contact with the fwd bulkhead. i also threw away the hard to find sheet metal screws in the vicinity of the forward bulkhead. imho these screws have no useful function.
i insulated the inside of my doghouse. this made a big difference in noise and heat from the engine.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #5

After I decided to do some sound proofing on my W18, I found the dog house was different than this post. It has a access panel on the top and the rest of the dog house is screwed and silicone to the floor. I have not been able to move the doghouse and fear I may crack the fiberglass. There is not enough room with the panel off to place sound proofing under the dog house. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any advise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010259.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	65715  
retired2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
paz

The doghouse is provided by the manufacturer of the motorhome, not by Workhorse, so there will be differences in size, shape and methods of attaching the cover.

The cover on our Allegro Bay is held on by 4 long sheet metal screws that go through the cover right into the fiberglass doghouse. Of course, any screws holding the cover in place are almost always buried in the carpet.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2002 View Post
After I decided to do some sound proofing on my W18, I found the dog house was different than this post. It has a access panel on the top and the rest of the dog house is screwed and silicone to the floor. I have not been able to move the doghouse and fear I may crack the fiberglass. There is not enough room with the panel off to place sound proofing under the dog house. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any advise.

It looks from the picture like you could easily pull back the carpeting. Get one of the vibrating trim saws fine saw they used to call them . I'd make it re moveable. Makes it much easier to change belts service engine, look for leaks.... Install noise proofing. It would suck to break down and not be able to see if it's something roadside-fixable .

No hidden latches under that carpet?
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that the small access hole does not give me a lot of room for any maintenance. I have since pulled up all the carpet and the entire dog house is silicone to the floor with no hidden latches. Also, I failed to mention that my RV is a 2006 Fleetwood Fiesta.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #9

I am not an expert on motorhomes but i am amazed by the rudimentary methods used to keep that doghouse in place and how complex it is to remove.

Let me share a very easy method, my 98 Triple E commander can have its doghouse removed and put back on in maybe ... 10 seconds, it came that way from the factory and it is fully insulated with automotive insulation.

There are 3 butterfly clips that hold it down extremely securely and only requires half a turn to remove

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403409210.995528.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	65897Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403409233.319342.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	863.7 KB
ID:	65898
C350AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C350AMG View Post
There are 3 butterfly clips that hold it down extremely securely and only requires half a turn to remove.
I can see the center butterfly clip. Where are the other two clips located?

The reason I'm asking is your system seems quick and easy. I like quick and easy. Speaking of quick and easy, anyone know where to purchase these butterfly clips (clamps)?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #11

The 2 others are on each side in front of doghouse. See picture of the left one (driver side)

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403455637.007270.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	869.2 KB
ID:	65920

Turn all 3 half a turn a doghouse is removed
Old 06-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #12

I found this website that you can look at, these are basically used on big trunks that you often see with music bands on the road

http://www.diyroadcasesstore.com/pro...252dmount.html
Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #13

Update - I removed the dog house that was silicone to the floor and installed some Dynamat sound proofing. Also, added a strip of weather proofing along the edge. The carpet is indoor outdoor from Lowe's. I formed the carpet around the dog house using a heat gun and construction glue. I just covered over the small factory maintenance area that was on the top. The tie downs are rubber hood latches I purchases at Northern Tools. I can now removed the entire dog house by only lifting the 3 tie downs. What a difference this will make for any future engine maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010260.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	66289  
Old 06-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice installation job, but why did you change the carpet pattern direction on the cover?
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal