Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today I decided to try to get my doghouse open before taking it in for the fuel clip swap at my local workhorse service provider. I don't know if anyone else has tried to do this, but I'll tell you it was one tough job on the Gulf Stream. The V.P of service at Gulf Stream said they don't plan on any service from the top of the engine for at least 100000 miles. They had stapled the carpet down over the screws that hold the cover on and then the carpet underneath covered the screws along the lip that hold on the cover on. Man, what a job!
I'm glad I did this though because I think the Workhorse techs would have torn this up trying to get it off when I took it in. Let this be a warning to those if you want to keep the doghouse in reasonable condition. You might want to remove this gently yourself before taking it in for service.

So....... Now, I don't want to go through this unscrewing nightmare again. Has anyone come up with a way to reinstall the doghouse with some nice looking clamps or hardware that would give easier access????
Thanks
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Today I decided to try to get my doghouse open before taking it in for the fuel clip swap at my local workhorse service provider. I don't know if anyone else has tried to do this, but I'll tell you it was one tough job on the Gulf Stream. The V.P of service at Gulf Stream said they don't plan on any service from the top of the engine for at least 100000 miles. They had stapled the carpet down over the screws that hold the cover on and then the carpet underneath covered the screws along the lip that hold on the cover on. Man, what a job!
I'm glad I did this though because I think the Workhorse techs would have torn this up trying to get it off when I took it in. Let this be a warning to those if you want to keep the doghouse in reasonable condition. You might want to remove this gently yourself before taking it in for service.

So....... Now, I don't want to go through this unscrewing nightmare again. Has anyone come up with a way to reinstall the doghouse with some nice looking clamps or hardware that would give easier access????
Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #3

My 2001 has convenient rubber-type latches on each side which keep it in place with no trouble removing it when needed. I'm not sure where you would buy a set but they would also probably be easy to install.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #4

I wonder what the VP of service at Gulf Stream's response would about that statement now? Bet he has gotten some feedback from many Gulf Stream owners.

They popped the doghouse off of mine in about 10 seconds. One minute to replace the fuel clip. Popped the doghouse back on again. No problem.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #5

Our doghouse has two metal over-center clamps on each side. They are visible if you get up close and look but the doghouse can be removed in about 30 seconds.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #6

I know how you feel. I have an 03 Pace Arrow, the carpet tack strips cover the screws, then the doghouse itself is glued to the floor with a black asphalt type of sealant - looks like roofing sealant. You can imagine what my white ultraleather looked like by the time I got it off and out of the coach...

Sometimes I wonder what the ^@&$ they are thinking...
Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Mine takes about 3 minutes. four screws have to be removed that are treaded into a receiver mounted to the coach body. I just replaced the seal as well. Fits like a glove.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
WGO was pretty good to "us". We just have a 3/8" inch Allen key and a latch to deal with and the thing comes right off. They normally install 2 screws up forward for security but I've had the house off now so many times for all kinds of reasons that I didn't reinstall the screws but the dog house isn't going anywhere and it's really tight to the gasket.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:24 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
On my Mountain Aire they have a set of "hinges" up front and latch in the back. You can remove the doghouse in about 30 seconds with a screw driver. The fit is real tight due to the carpet.

I worked on Bad42's Gulfstream and he has the same "screw" problem as mentioned above. When he called GS the first time the rep wanted to know why he wanted to remove the cover. I am not impressed with some of GS's engineering and fabrication. Nice coach be there are a few things that are hard to accept.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:14 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspected this would be a tough job and that's why I decided to pull it off myself. GS has some very poor engineering designs I have already ran into. Especially with their slides, seals, windows and kitchen plumbing.

I will be using some of the advice of others to "re-engineer" this dog house access too.
Thanks to all
Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 AM   #11

DriVer:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(snip)...but I've had the house off now so many times for all kinds of reasons that I didn't reinstall the screws but the dog house isn't going anywhere and it's really tight to the gasket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(snip)...but I've had the house off now so many times for all kinds of reasons that I didn't reinstall the screws but the dog house isn't going anywhere and it's really tight to the gasket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wish I'd known it would be ok to leave the screws off! It took me just as much time to reinstall them (finding the holes) as it did to find the screws in the first place. Getting the cover ready ahead of time is a good idea, I have to take mine in this spring to get the fuel clip replaced and I hadn't thought about it might be frustrating to the mechanic to remove the cover or about the mess it might make!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I searched today at Lowes and Home Depot for some type of latches to use for holding it on but didn't find anything. So I put it back in place and it seems pretty tight sitting there.

We'll see if the engine noise or road noise is louder, but, if not I'm inclined to leave it sit too. Even with it loose, it's a pain to wriggle and twist out from between the seats. I'm sure the techs would not baby it off after fighting the screw issue.

As a side, after getting the cover off and seeing the fuel clip, mine is rusty but at least not cracked from what I could tell.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #14

www.austinhardware.com
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote