Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Draining Fuel and Disposal

So I'm going to have to drain the 2-3 year old fuel out of my parents 98 Southwind Storm on a P30 chassis. Rather then reinvent the wheel I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this and what was the best way. The tank is full, which is 65 gallons I think, and it's been sitting 2 to 3 years. They started it the other day and said it ran fine, but I think for peace of mind I'll drain and replace.

Best way to drain? Would there be a way to have the generator fuel pump pump it out?

Can I drain like 40 gallons and replace that and be ok? Or pump it all out?

Where to dispose of that much fuel? I guess I can try the recycling center, but I'm not sure they can handle that much.

Tough things to figure out when I'm 12 hours from where the MH is.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

Did they put stabilizer in the fuel when they stored it?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2002 Fleetwood Flair (Workhorse P32 chassis). I had to drop the fuel tank to change the generator fuel line. Anyway, when I disconnected the filler hose at the tank, there was a screen plastic thingy at the tank. This prevents siphoning from the fuel filler. Yours might have one too. So if you want to siphon it out, you may need to remove it.

Also, My fuel tank had 2 filler ports, one on the driver side that was being used and one on the other side that had a plug. This port might be easier to siphon from.

Good luck.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Did they put stabilizer in the fuel when they stored it?
Yes, he used Sta-bil. I thought it only kept if fresh for a year or so though.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
On my 2002 Fleetwood Flair (Workhorse P32 chassis). I had to drop the fuel tank to change the generator fuel line. Anyway, when I disconnected the filler hose at the tank, there was a screen plastic thingy at the tank. This prevents siphoning from the fuel filler. Yours might have one too. So if you want to siphon it out, you may need to remove it.

Also, My fuel tank had 2 filler ports, one on the driver side that was being used and one on the other side that had a plug. This port might be easier to siphon from.

Good luck.
I was afraid it would have some type of anti-syphon screen in it. If it had the other port that would be great. Seems it would eliminate having to work around the anti-syphon screen.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group

I had the same situation a few months ago. Mine only had about 20 gallons in itthough. I tried to siphon it out butran into the anti siphon device and could not get a hose into the tank. I looked for the other fill port on the tankand found it but could not get to it because of its location. I thought about the generator line butfigured that wouldn’t work either. Since I did put Stabil in 2 years ago I ended up just adding another 20gallons of fresh fuel to get it to the gas station where I topped it off. It ran great and I had no problem during out2000 mile trip.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #7

If it starts and runs I would just drive it. When you see the disposal cost you will see why. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
So I'm going to have to drain the 2-3 year old fuel out of my parents 98 Southwind Storm on a P30 chassis. Rather then reinvent the wheel I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this and what was the best way. The tank is full, which is 65 gallons I think, and it's been sitting 2 to 3 years. They started it the other day and said it ran fine, but I think for peace of mind I'll drain and replace.

Best way to drain? Would there be a way to have the generator fuel pump pump it out?

Can I drain like 40 gallons and replace that and be ok? Or pump it all out?

Where to dispose of that much fuel? I guess I can try the recycling center, but I'm not sure they can handle that much.

Tough things to figure out when I'm 12 hours from where the MH is.
Might take a while with the gen set fuel pump but it would work, just have to find some power for the 12v power line from the fuel pump, an extra battery would work, you could disconnect the fuel line placing it in a5 gal container, if the RV runs with that old fuel, I would just dump the 5 gal of fuel in my car, might take you a while.

I would think if the RV is running fine then the gas is ok
Old 08-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If it starts and runs I would just drive it. When you see the disposal cost you will see why. ;-)

This is the best way, don't put yourself in the danger zone by trying to do this at home.

It would be better to have it done at a shop that has the proper equipment to safely handle the fuel, how ever it starts and runs, with stable in the fuel you are good to go to just use it up. No mess, no fuss, and a lot safer for you.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd go for a long long ride. As others have said it's a bit safer that way and I suspect it will run just fine.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
I had a similar situation when I brought my RV, there was approximately 30 gallon in it. Don't know exactly how old, but I know it was old, MH run fine, So we drive it until almost totally gone, then add fresh fuel.

hehehe... you be amaze how fast you MH burn up them fuel.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:08 AM   #12

Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions. I do feel better about just using what's in it after you all weighed in. I guess I could just drive it around local before the big trip home and burn off 10 - 20 gallons and replace that with fresh fuel. At least if something happens I'm not out on the interstate somewhere. How much does the generator burn an hour?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:20 AM   #13

Oops, it's an Onan 5500 gen.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #14

The genset burns less than 1 gallon per hour and I would be amazed if it will run at all. THOSE carbs are famous for failure when not used regularly.
If you decide you do need to remove fuel from tank, I'm wondering why you can't disconnect the line going to the motor at the filter and use the in tank pump.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel