Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

Duramax swap in Workhorse W 20

Has any one swapped a Duramax (LLY or LBZ) into the workhorse motorhome chassis ?
TerraTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraTraveler View Post
Has any one swapped a Duramax (LLY or LBZ) into the workhorse motorhome chassis ?
I have not heard on anyone doing that. Workhorse uses the L81 engine in the RV front engine diesel chassis.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #3

Well, I've seen a Duramax in a street-driven Chevy Chevelle. It that is workable your idea should be too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
the durmax seems powerful enough I had them pass me pulling a 5th wheel going up hill
Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
the Duramax seems powerful enough I had them pass me pulling a 5th wheel going up hill
Given that observation; in time there should be increasing demand for a front engine diesel powered RV that doesn't need to use DEF.

We will see how consumer demand takes shape over the next year or so absent a gasoline engine. We are indeed seeing more OEMs releasing products powered by the MF7.

WCC does use the DMax in its low-floor airport shuttle the LF-71 and that's backed up by an Allison 1000 series tranny. This vehicle is a FWD BTW. I had thought that there would be an RV application for this vehicle since it would lend itself to RV'ers that are mobility challenged but I believe it would be impractical due to GVW, cost and lack of space for RV equipment in the floor.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The 2011 Duramax requires DEF.

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...D_DEF_6-23.pdf

The power numbers rival Cummins ISB (6.7)
Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #7

Exhaust Fluid...sheesh, I thought this was a joke at first...

What's next? Muffler bearings? Winter/Summer air? Stripped paint?

Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

I like the idea of a Diesels torque under the hood of my "Upgrade", but I'm not sure I could stand the clatter, when will we figure out how to make a silent diesel? They have them in the rest of the world...why not here?

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDork View Post
I like the idea of a Diesels torque under the hood of my "Upgrade", but I'm not sure I could stand the clatter, when will we figure out how to make a silent diesel? They have them in the rest of the world...why not here?
Have you driven a MaxxForce 7 lately!! Actually very quiet under a good doghouse. Advanced EGR does not require DEF.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #9

I took a ride in a Volvo S70 in France in 2002, I couldn't even tell it was a diesel, until we stopped for fuel. I was stunned to find out it was a diesel engine under the hood.

Seriously, no odor, no knock, insane power and indistinguishable from a gas engine from an external perspective. The funny thing is that it was the -norm- for a diesel to be silent over there.

I have yet to encounter any diesel in the US that compared...

I haven't been around a MaxForce diesel...but if I were to swap engines in my "upgrade" it would have to be a Duramax to maintain emission compliance. It wasn't an option in the motor home, but in the chassis...

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #10

Thanks for all of your responses. I am not a fan of the Ford / Navistar 6.0 from a durability standpoint and while the 6.4 is somewhat more stable, The fuel ecomony numbers in the pickups do not give me any reason to want to drop one in the workhorse chassis.

There are several stand alone PCM / TCM setups available, I was just wanting to utilize the existing OEM instrument cluster and wiring harness if possible.

I will continue to investigate the possibility of the swap possibly using the Kodiak chassis harness...

Can't justify the swap from a fuel economy standpoint, but I would love to have the added 250 ft lbs of torque at around 2500 RPM
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought about asking about paying the difference between replacing the 8.1 or changing it to a Duramax. Now seems like the time to do it but between fighting the ESP and the repair center, they've already made it too complicated , just to swap, gas for gas. Not to mention, I'd need a diesel generator or a separate fuel tank.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Was curious if you ever decided to do this?
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #13

Hi John,

Still racking up the miles on the 8.1 at this time. I keep thinking I will spend a little more time with the prep and planning during the slower winter season. Winters just have not dropped off as much as they were two or three years ago. The biggest challenge with the swap will be physically installing the drivetrain package in the chassis. Pull the windshield glass, or drop it straight down and out the front of the chassis ? Done tons of light truck, just have not had to pull the engine on a coach in a long time. A stand alone wiring harness is now available to swap the d max and allison into just about anything at this time. I have a friend putting together a 66 Chev Suburban 4x with a Duramax Allison NV 263 combo.