Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unhappy E - Brake failure

my 2007 fleetwood bounder 38p workhouse frame is in for routine servicing and they found transmission fluid leaking resulting from failure of the E braking system. We purchased this rv several months ago and fortunately were able to transfer an extended warranty from the previous owner. This will cover most of the cost for this repair, but I'm concerned that this might happen again while on a trip. I'm wondering if there is another, more reliable fix for this problem other than replacing the hardware with the same components. This is our first rv so I'm not familiar with these type of failures. Thanks for any input/suggestions.
Tobefitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobefitt View Post
my 2007 fleetwood bounder 38p workhouse frame is in for routine servicing and they found transmission fluid leaking resulting from failure of the E braking system. We purchased this rv several months ago and fortunately were able to transfer an extended warranty from the previous owner. This will cover most of the cost for this repair, but I'm concerned that this might happen again while on a trip. I'm wondering if there is another, more reliable fix for this problem other than replacing the hardware with the same components. This is our first rv so I'm not familiar with these type of failures. Thanks for any input/suggestions.
Can you tell us which CHASSIS you have? I don't think there is any connection between your ATF and your "E braking system", so I'm too confused to offer a suggestion at this point. More detailed info will help you get correct answers......

IF you have a W24, it MAY have the J72 AAPB system, but it isn't your tranny fluid that would be "leaking". If you have a W20-W-22, the Parking Brake is totally mechanical so that would not be the source of ANY fluid.

Is your coach at a Workhorse ASC?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're having problems with the Auto Park brake, you need to contact "oldusedbear" who is the resident expert on the braking system.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/conta...ry-106295.html

In addition, you can check out Brazels RV. They have a replacement for the original Auto Park.

https://www.brazelsrv.com/

The Auto Park brake was a solution for an automatically applied parking brake for an automatic transmission equipped vehicle with no 'Park' position in the transmission. Without the Auto Park, when the engine is shut off the vehicle can roll since there is no locking mechanism in the transmission. A manual parking brake sounds like a solution, BUT human error could cause a vehicle to roll off. You need an automatically applied parking brake.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

BFlinn181:
I agree with most of what you've posted. However, until the OP can identify which chassis he has, contacting OUB may not resolve his issues. Roger admits he doesn't know "much" about the J72 AAPB used on the W24 chassis, and I agree he IS the undisputed expert on the J71 systems. It is highly unlikely that the OP's 2007 38' coach would have a J71, which is why I asked before offering much advice.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
BFlinn181:
I agree with most of what you've posted. However, until the OP can identify which chassis he has, contacting OUB may not resolve his issues. Roger admits he doesn't know "much" about the J72 AAPB used on the W24 chassis, and I agree he IS the undisputed expert on the J71 systems. It is highly unlikely that the OP's 2007 38' coach would have a J71, which is why I asked before offering much advice.
A 2007 RV could be on a 2006 chassis. The J72 AAPB was used in 2006 chassis and used Dexron VI fluid. The OP remarked that "transmission fluid leaking resulting from failure of the E braking system." Sure sounds like an Auto Brake issue to me. I refered him to OUB and Brazels because they have dealt with Auto Brake issues and have solutions, which the OP was asking about, "I'm wondering if there is another, more reliable fix for this problem other than replacing the hardware with the same components."

If OUB couldn't deal with the J72, I know from reading his posts that he would gladly pass the question on to someone who could help.
Here's a link to Oemy's web page, a Brazels dealer and lots of info on Auto Brake issues.
Oemy's Web Site - Brazel's Ultra Products

Here's Oemy's PDF on J72 service and diagrams:

http://oemys-performance.com/media/j72%20autopark.pdf

Bob & Donna
Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #6

BOB: Like I said, I agree with most of what you posted. Unless the OP comes back, everything you and I have posted (trying to be helpful to him) will be for naught. I admitted I was too confused by his post to offer much help. I did say that it was not his TRANNY leaking fluid, and yes, thanks to your post, I now realize that his AAPB (if he has one) may be leaking ATF, but I maintain it isn't coming from the Tranny.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I've read enough about the Auto Brake that a common sign of issues is leaking of ATF fluid from the Auto Brake. It uses a reservoir of ATF pumped up above 1400 psi to hold the 'spring brake' off. There are many reports of the pressure sensor going bad and causing the ATF to leak, applying the brakes when you don't want it.

When I saw the OP say, "found transmission fluid leaking resulting from failure of the E braking system." I didn't think the transmission was involved, I assumed it was the Auto Brake. The OP didn't say he has transmission problems, just the "E brake" system failure causing an ATF leak.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Can you tell us which CHASSIS you have? I don't think there is any connection between your ATF and your "E braking system", so I'm too confused to offer a suggestion at this point. More detailed info will help you get correct answers......
He has a P-series with the hydraulic auto-park brake. He told us that in the original post.. (The letter at the end of the model number P in his case, W in mine, is indicative).

Just so you know.

To the O/P.. Can it happen when on a trip.. YES.. however so can main seal leaks brake fluid leaks, differential leaks and all sorts of other fluid leaks... FLUIDS include air so that includes vacuum leaks

With the exception of the hydraulic auto-park brake. the same can be said of your car, your other car, and every other vehicle on the road. Leaks happen some times.

SO. WHat do you do if it happens 1,000 miles from home (more or less)? Check the fluid level from time to time, add as needed, and get it fixed when you return home (IF it is a slow leak)..... If it is a fast leak (Like a blown line) Well, then you get it fixed on the road. but blown lines are easy to fix. (Blown seals not so easy)
Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
He has a P-series with the hydraulic auto-park brake. He told us that in the original post.. (The letter at the end of the model number P in his case, W in mine, is indicative).

Just so you know.
Really???

Just so you'll know....they stopped making the P32 in 2005 and I never heard of a 2007 38 foot long Bounder being built on a P32, which had a max GVWR of 18,000 pounds.

However, it is entirely possible that Fleetwood would have used either a W22 ( NO autopark), or one of the early model W24s that had the J72 AAPB. I really don't KNOW, but I'll bet money your opinion is incorrect.

Regardless, unless the OP returns, I'm thinking we are all sniping at each other in the name of "helping" the OP, who is apparently MIA. I'm done, unless it is to reply to the OP.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The motor home I am sitting in is a 2005
The chassis was made in August of 2004 (though it too is a 2005)

Many threads on these and other forums about motor homes with mixed ages,,, The chassis is 1 year older than the body.

So if they stopped making P-series in 2005 and it was one of the last made, a 2007 body on top of it is very possible.

That said. the improtant thing is the rest of my post.. Which put simply is

Stuff happens

The kind of leak he is talking about is easily dealt with on the road by checking the tranny fluid per instructions often stamped on the dip stick but also printed in the owners manual.. Top off as needed and take it in when you get home.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking J72 w24 chassis brake assembly failure

thank all of you for your comments. I apologize for the lack of information from my post. I'm in the learning phase. I have a W24 frame on a 38P 2007 bounder with the J72 auto parking brake system. The component that failed is the brake assembly that attaches directly to the back of the transmission. I was told that the transmission seal was damaged also causing the transmission to lose fluid. The brake assembly comes as a complete kit for around $3,800.00. I'm under extended warranty, so the hit isn't too bad. If the unit fails again in the future I will be looking at other replacement alternatives as suggested in some of your posts. Thanks again for all your help. Happy rving
Tobefitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobefitt View Post
thank all of you for your comments. I apologize for the lack of information from my post. I'm in the learning phase. I have a W24 frame on a 38P 2007 bounder with the J72 auto parking brake system. The component that failed is the brake assembly that attaches directly to the back of the transmission. I was told that the transmission seal was damaged also causing the transmission to lose fluid. The brake assembly comes as a complete kit for around $3,800.00. I'm under extended warranty, so the hit isn't too bad. If the unit fails again in the future I will be looking at other replacement alternatives as suggested in some of your posts. Thanks again for all your help. Happy rving
I'm glad to read you know what chassis you have and what failed, and am especially glad to read you have some help covering the expensive repairs.

It is possible that the problem originated with a failure of the J72's hydraulic components, which likely would have applied the DS brake. If that happened while driving at speed, it may have gotten hot enough to damage the rear tranny seal, causing it to leak. The pads may have worn down enough to allow you to "power thru" this brake application event and keep going. I mention all this so you will have the repair tech also check the hydraulic section of the J72, and not just repair the obvious damage.

Good luck!
Ed

Tags
brake