Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Unhappy Electrical problem

Yesterday my 2002 Fleetwood Terra model 26Y, P32 Workhorse chassis MH wouldn't start. Battery & starter motor OK, but no current flowing to ignition. A local mechanic came by and and checked all fuses we could find. He got us on the road again by "hotwiring" the ignition with a simple switch across the red and pink wires in the bundle coming from the key switch on the steering column. Now we start by turning on that switch and using the key to engage the starter. We need to get a permanent solution by taking it to a proper service center.
The mechanic thinks the problem may be the key switch, but I suspect the "Main" battery disconnect system. When the "Main" rocker switch located above the door is pressed in either position no relay "clunk" is heard and it has no effect on the chassis electrical system. Pressing the "Aux" battery disconnect switch however results in a clear audible relay "clunk" and does switch on/off the "house" electrical function.
Some questions:
1. Has anyone had this type of problem and can give some advice on how to get it fixed?
2. Anyone have a wiring diagram for this model they could send me?
3. What about rigging a bypass for the relay-operated disconnect system? (I don't find it very useful - we use the RV 2-3 months a year and it's no big deal to physically disconnect the battery when putting it in storage).
4. We are heading to Scottsbluff Nebraska and on to Denver CO - any suggestions of a service center that could work on this problem?
Any help/advice/opinions appreciated...
rainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

Most likely the ignition switch which is on the steering column. If it was the battery disconnect the starter would not crank. Try tilting the steering wheel up and down while holding the ignition in the start position. Next would be the neutral switch. Try to start in neutral or move the shifter while holding in the start position while holding the brakes on.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Last year - shortly after we bought our '05 Bounder and before we took any trips - we had an intermittent problem with the power to the ignition switch failing. Turn the key on and no power to the dash, starter et al. I discovered that if I twisted the big connector at the bottom of the steering column that carries all of the column wiring to the chassis, the power would come back. Didn't dare drive it very far and since I didn't have a wiring diagram, I took it to my local RV service shop. They found a bad pin in the connector and simply cut off the power wire and bypassed the problem by splicing in a new length of wire around the connector. No problems since.
BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Battery cut off is usually for your house batteries.
Engine battery is through your ignition switch, wiring for ignition switch gets stretched by metal bend top of steering wheel when adjusting wheel position can cause a problem with wire connections in switch.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical