Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

Electrical schematic for P32?

Does anyone have an electrical schematic or know where to get one?

I'm trying to figure out how to install a new inverter. It's 800 watts and will work off the house batteries to supply 115 volts to the entertainment equipment so my wife and I can watch movies after quiet hours start in the campground. We have two TV sets...one in front and one in the rear bedroom. I test-ran it today and it works great!

I think I'm going to need some kind of automatic transfer switch, which apparently my MH doesn't have. It has the 4kw Micro Quiet Onan. When I run off the generator, my shore power male plug plugs into the generator output female receptacle. I guess this is a manual way to insure that I don't run the generator and shore power at the same time. With the inverter hooked up, I have to make sure that I'm (more likely the DW) not running any other power source at the same time. That's why I'm looking for an electrical schematic. Thanks for any help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should contact Tiffin. The chassis schematic would not be much help. They may have a copy of the wiring diagram for the coach.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Full Monte, it may be much less hassle to do what I do. I have a Cobra 1500 watt inverter near the batteries with a remote switch inside the the MH. I have an extension cord running from the inverter to the shore power cord.
You might want to get fancier, but I just flick the switch on the inverter and I have 115 volts through out the coach. I'm not stupid, I can make sure no ACs, electric heaters or other high amp appliances can be run, I also try to train my wife that she can't run the microwave on inverter, she blows it sometimes but she's learning. You can control how much you run from your inverter, no need to have a company do that for you.
To really conserve amp draw on your battery/ inverter, put your fridge on propane only and flip the converter circuit breaker off, so (the dog doesn't chase it's tail) or it does'nt try to charge the batteries as it discharges them.
Poor mans world, but much simpler.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Full Monte, it may be much less hassle to do what I do. I have a Cobra 1500 watt inverter near the batteries with a remote switch inside the the MH. I have an extension cord running from the inverter to the shore power cord.
You might want to get fancier, but I just flick the switch on the inverter and I have 115 volts through out the coach. I'm not stupid, I can make sure no ACs, electric heaters or other high amp appliances can be run, I also try to train my wife that she can't run the microwave on inverter, she blows it sometimes but she's learning. You can control how much you run from your inverter, no need to have a company do that for you.
To really conserve amp draw on your battery/ inverter, put your fridge on propane only and flip the converter circuit breaker off, so (the dog doesn't chase it's tail) or it does'nt try to charge the batteries as it discharges them.
Poor mans world, but much simpler.
Good thinking! I just thought of that this evening while sitting in a movie theater! Dog chasing it's tail...that's funny. Anybody up for a perpetual motion machine, or a battery charger that gives more power out than the power it consumes? Ha! Now I guess I'll have to figure out which breakers work which outlets in the coach.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run my entertainment center in motion and boodocking a little different. First I upgraded to a Samsung 32" flat screen ( it draws less power than the tube TV). Then wired a power strip from my upper cabinet with the TV / DVD and Sat Receiver plugged in to the 110 recepticle by the passenger feet. Then I used an old set of jumper cable wires from the batteries to the engine hump area (Crimped lugs on both ends) about 5 feet long connected to my 800 watt Cobra inverter. When I am not on shore power, I remove the plug from the recepticle and plug it into the inverter about 2 feet away. I unplug the DVD player if I am not using it.
I have a cigarette lighter plug in the bedroom behind the TV and plug in a separate 400 watt inverter in it to run my 19" Visio flat screen. By the way, If you install a flat screen in the bedroom plan ahead and tilt it down 20-30 degrees for best viewing angle when lying down.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

Thanks, MG

That's another good idea...two inverters! Innovative use of the plugs and power strip, too!

Does anyone protect their inverter with an inline fuse or fusible link on the 12 v side?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, definately put an in line fuse close to the battery. I have a 60 amp fuse designed for in car stereo amplifier connected at the battery for my 800 Watt inverter.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical