Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Engine Light?

I have a 2007 Winnebago Voyage on a W22 chassis with 8.1 Chevy engine. We were on our way home yesterday from our most recent trip. About 125 miles into the trip we stopped for a very short break in a rest area. Upon getting back on the road the Engine light came on. Nothing seemed to be affected, the engine was running fine. Stopped a short time later and hoped that when I restarted the engine the light would go off. It remained on. There was no loss of power, everything running fine. Let it sit over night at home, started it this morning and the light still on. Checked the oil and noticed it to be down slightly, but still in the operating range on the dip stick. Again the engine seems to be running just fine.

Anyone have any idea where to start looking for the cause of the light being on?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo Tom View Post
Anyone have any idea where to start looking for the cause of the light being on?
Kazoo Tom, You will need to get your vehicle scanned. Once a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is found, a logical avenue can be pursued to resolve the problem.

It is most often seen that the DTC will point toward an emission control problem on your engine.

The only 100% reliable scanning tool is called Tech II which is is the tool of choice used by Authorized Workhorse Service Centers.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not an expert but know that it can be a miriad of things from the almost immaterial to very important. It needs to have an OBDII plugged in so that you can see the error code. A Scanguage II would have the same capability.

It should not cost a lot to have this checked out at any repair facility with the appropriate guage.

I had this happen once as I was leaving the repair shop. They hooked me up and got the code and just reset---everything fine after that.

Someone will give you some more information before long I am sure. I hope this is an easy fix for you.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

I"ll find a place tomorrow to get it scanned. You'd think that with a computerized engine and dash that someone would build a scan function into the system and provide an error readout on the dash. Sure would make it easier for us neophytes.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stop by Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, they will scan it for free.

Remember the code(s) it set and have them clear it.

If they don't know what the code means just google it or post it here. We would be glad to help.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

When I started up the motorhome this morning the engine light did NOT come on!! Do I even need to be concerned about it anymore?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
could just be lose gas cap,check that cause that will throw a code sometimes
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #8

We did get fuel before we left the other day, I'll recheck the gas cap, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo Tom View Post
When I started up the motorhome this morning the engine light did NOT come on!! Do I even need to be concerned about it anymore?
It is "Normal" for the DTC to clear itself if the situation was only a transient event. After a number of restart counts AND if the DTC does not set again, the it DTC will clear itself. If the problem is persistent, the SES lamp will stay lit.

If the lamp is out you should be set for the moment however what ever DTC set the lamp to come on the first time may repeat itself.

A device called a Scan Gauge II - X-Gauge which can be purchased from RVUpgrades.com will scan your bus whenever it's operational and may give you insight as to what the problem may be.

Equipped with that information, "BEFORE" you spend any money or expend effort to resolve the condition, always have you engine scanned by a Tech II to confirm or discover conditions that the SGIIXG was unable to determine.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One reply said Autozone would scan for free, next time you need oil or wiper blades go on in and see if there is a code history and they can clear it for you.

The
SCanguage II and X guage on Amazon is $159. and gives you a lot of other readings for every day useage as well as error codes. A lot of places cost almost that much to diagnose doing the same thing; plug it in and read the results. MIght be worth it and besies it's another gadget, can't have too many gadgets.

Happy this worked out for now. Good luck.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #11

Thanks you all for your information. This is the second day in a row that the light did not come on. Guess I won't worry about it unless it happens again.