Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #1

Several weeks ago when traveling in a heavy rain I thought I noticed a miss in my engine. When it is dry I do not notice anything. This past weekl I was driving in very heavy rain in the northeast. Whenever I was accelerating (especially uphill) I was definitely having an engine miss and then an engine check light went on. It's dry now and the engine check light is off again. I will have to have this checked out but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced engine problems when traveling in heavy rain.

soon2travl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #2

Several weeks ago when traveling in a heavy rain I thought I noticed a miss in my engine. When it is dry I do not notice anything. This past weekl I was driving in very heavy rain in the northeast. Whenever I was accelerating (especially uphill) I was definitely having an engine miss and then an engine check light went on. It's dry now and the engine check light is off again. I will have to have this checked out but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced engine problems when traveling in heavy rain.

soon2travl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not had your problem even in the heavest of rains, but I have read somewhere on this forum about some water getting into the intake. You might check it for leaks in the seams etc. Making sure it is away from the grill and that water does not get splashed into it from the tires.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
soon2travl, welcome to irv2.
You do not say what type coach you have but alot of us have had this problem going back two years. The Newmars, Fleetwoods, Damons etc. have this problem. Go to Find and type in "water in air intake" you will find posts by me and others with a fix to your problem. Its a simple fix an doesn't cost much, its a do it yourself project. Never mind the dealer there fix's haven't worked.
When you have time post your coach info in your Sig. Profile so we will know type coach you have for future ?'s. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soon2travl:
I will have to have this checked out but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced engine problems when traveling in heavy rain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We all have had problems traveling in exceptionally heavy rain storms especially when the rain is hitting you sideways by the bucketful.

Running into Louisville when Katerina's bands were preceding her I was caught is a super cell rain event. Although under most conventional rain events I don't have any problems. This event was preceded by strong wind of 50 mph or more, heavy rain, lightening and some small hail. I was afraid I was getting into a tornado type event the WX radio was in a panic about what was going on but that didn't happen. Most small vehicles such as cars were not able to travel in this type of weather and numerous cars and pickup trucks were pulled over.

I was able to proceed at a slow rate of speed perhaps 35 - 40 MPH or so while the windshield wipers were slapping time. Not too much later while running further down the road the CES light came on and I knew right away what it was, my MAF was taking a bath.

Once I arrived at the CG I opened up the airbox and yes the filter was quite damp but not soaking wet like some folks. I tapped some of the dirts out of the filter and placed it in front of a small table fan all night long and in the morning the filter was ready to go. I inserted the filter and assembled the air box started the engine and there was no CES light.

Going forward if it starts raining very heavily like it did in Louisville, I'm pulling over or trying to get off the road before the storm.

The airbox is designed to ingest some water but not a whole bunch. So if you run in a heavy rain you can probably expect to get a CES light and under the right conditions you may get a misfire. I didn't get a misfire out of my engine just the light came on.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Winnebago's CAN injust water ,all be it had to be a hurricane. "007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote