Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #1

Engine quit while driving

I own a 1997 national Dolphin with vortex engine. I was driving when the engine just stopped suddenly. I suspected the fuel pump in the fuel tank and replaced it. I still can't get the engine to start. Is there anyone who can help me with this problem. I have checked fusses. Is there a fuel control module or something that I might be missing. How can I tell if I am getting fuel pressure to the engine. I am getting spark. Any help would be grateful.
Smwil46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #2

Could you have a clogged fuel filter?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

The fuel filter had been changed recently. We are only getting 7 volts to the fuel pump. We did check the battery to make sure it was fully charged. I was wondering where I could find maintenance manuals with electrical schematics to trace down the wiring. I have noticed that the electrical wiring in general is needing some attention.
Smwil46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:21 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
welcome to irv2.
TBI or carb? how many miles on the Moho?
I would change the fuel filter again to start with. cut the old filter apart to check for contamination. loosen the fuel line at engine to see if fuel is getting that far.
how do you know you have spark?
has the air filter been replaced?
if it has fuel, spark and air it should run unless the timing is messed up.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

If it's like mine, there is a fuel pressure regulator on top of the engine. Wherever the regulator is, have your mechanic disconnect the tube after the regulator and measure the pressure there.
Dan Paymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #6

this may be a long shot but I had this happen to me.

On a long trip fuel gauge stopped moving, stuck at 1/2 tank. I thought no problem as I know fuel to miles so well I can usually tell within 3 gals how much it will take to fill up at fuel stops. 150 miles latter rv shuts down at 75MPH on freeway. Called for tow as it was a sat pm they said will tow to a dealer that will open on Monday am. Tow trucks unhook drive shaft at rear axel. tow driver. says he knows what problem is.

There is a flexable tube of wires hanging down due to a broken zip tie. about 6 plus wires in tube worn down to bare copper. Some are wore thru.
He crimped and taped all hung up away from drive shaft rv fired right up.

He said no charge has he collects form my allstate road coverage. I did force him to take a tip that put a big smile on both our faces.

good luck TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Paymar View Post
If it's like mine, there is a fuel pressure regulator on top of the engine. Wherever the regulator is, have your mechanic disconnect the tube after the regulator and measure the pressure there.
X2....I had to have the fuel pump replaced on my 2000 Suburban with the vortec engine. I drove it home and let it sit overnight and it wouldn't start the next day. Had it towed back by Chevy and they replaced the fuel pressure regulator, which they said was their mistake as they usually always replace that with a fuel pump replacement. That was about 6 years ago and it's run great ever since.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #8

Check the Ignition Control Module too. My '95 Class B TBI would just stop running or not start...it was intermittent and first thing I thought was the fuel pump or it's relay(the ICM controls power to the fuel pump among other things). Replaced both the fuel pump & relay and the problem still existed....turns out it was the ICM which cost about $38 bucks and I changed it myself in the parking lot of an Autozone on the way to Canada. Autozone tested the old one and it showed completely bad.

7 volts tells me you are not getting full power to the pump and the ICM would be my first suspect.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #9
YC1

Find your emergency fuel shut off valve and see if it needs to be reset. This is a collision safety device.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
ground fuel pump directly to neg. post on the battery.

Tags
engine