Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
engine rpm surging while on cruise control

coming home yesterday my 2005 hr admiral with the gmc 8.1 liter was set on cruise doing about 65. engine was turning 2200 rpm but kept surging up to around 2600-what could be the problem here guys?
lsu-kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #2

Just a couple of questions.
On Sept 19th your ABS light was on. Is your ABS light still on?
Does the tranny act like it's shifting or slipping?
Could it be the torque converter going in and out?
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel Filter.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
rottenralph-abs light actually was not on on the way home. have not had the recall done yet-on a wait list for that. transmission seemed fine-very low miles on this engine only driven around the new orleans area-very flat. is the fuel filter as easy to change as the oil and filter and if so how do i get to it?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsu-kev View Post
... is the fuel filter as easy to change as the oil and filter and if so how do i get to it?
The fuel filter is inside the chassis rail directly behind and above the rear axle on the left side of the vehicle. You are not going to be able to buy the filter over the counter unless you go to a Workhorse dealer.

You may have to seek alternate resources for the fuel filter.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hey driver-can you buy that filter from napa or only a workhorse center(i don't have one of those anywhere close to me)
Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 2003 filter was the old style - one inlet and one outlet type - and I got mine at NAPA. Driver may be thinlking of the newer three inlet/outlet type .
Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP said he has a 2005 Coach. Check out Oemy's Web Site - Fuel Filter Adpater for stock filter or adapter to use "old" style filter.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Driver may be thinlking of the newer three inlet/outlet type .
Bingo!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
That's about the correct RPM range for the torque converter clutch to be unlocking/locking. If the load changes that's the first thing the engine does before a downshift. Could the angle of the road have been changing in synch with the RPM change?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
OP said he has a 2005 Coach. Check out Oemy's Web Site - Fuel Filter Adpater for stock filter or adapter to use "old" style filter.
You are right. I somehow misread it as 2003
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
sknight-road angle was not changing. completely flat highway from baton rouge to new orleans-thats why it has me concerned. up and down hills i would expect that.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsu-kev View Post
sknight-road angle was not changing. completely flat highway from baton rouge to new orleans-thats why it has me concerned. up and down hills i would expect that.
Could be the clutch doing it, the trick is now to figure out why. We can say it isn't the road, so that leaves the coach itself. Easy, wasn't it?

OK, we have two possibilities. I'm going to assume by the year model you have an Allison trans. That's controlled by a TCM separate of the ECM.

Since you didn't say it was chattering we're going to assume the clutch itself and it's oil feed circuit is fine. That leaves electrical. I've seen the solenoids themselves overheat and randomly open and close themselves. Close, get hot, open, cool off. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The other possibility is the TCM is commanding it on and off for some reason. That runs the gamut. It could be a faulty but still in range TPS, ECM issues, a programming fault that decided to appear now, etc.

First things first, someone needs to watch it with a scan tool to see if it's being commanded off and on. If so, then the issue is in the control side. If not then the trouble is in the mechanical side, wiring from the TCM to the solenoid.

All these things can happen without setting a code if conditions are just right.

EDIT-Something that's very simple and easy to diagnose yourself. It very well could be an out of adjustment stop lamp switch. The TCC opens when the brakes are applied, if you have a switch that's just "Right there" being on or off then every crack in the road could make it send a signal the brakes were mashed. Have someone follow you and see if the brake lights randomly come on or come on with just the lightest touch.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe there was a previose thread on here and someone suggested an abs problem would do the same thing. The abs sensors could be marginal and givin g an erronniose ( i give up on that word) signal.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote