RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fan belt without the A/C

anybody, have or are running with a shorter fan belt bypassing the a/c compressor?
I thought I read somewhere on here that 99" belt would work. I just tried it on mine and 99" is to long and there looks to be some clearance issues rigged the same as the other belt that go around the a/c.
Is there a drawing of belt on without going around the a/c compressor

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you still have the 99" belt try putting it back on then pinch off the excess and mark both spots where the belt meets, take the belt off and measure how much the excess is and get a belt that matches the short measurement. Don't be surprised if you have to get more than one or two belts before you find one that you are happy with the fit.

Let the parts store know what you are doing so you'll know that 1:they will take the unused belts back, 2: they may have a different system for measuring, 3: they may already know the size belt you need.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
3: they may already know the size belt you need.
John, That's highly unlikely since the Workhorse belt routing is proprietary and it was never designed to be run w/o a compressor.

I do agree that you should state your case to the parts guy. They should take the belts back it they don't fit.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If you still have the 99" belt try putting it back on then pinch off the excess and mark both spots where the belt meets, take the belt off and measure how much the excess is and get a belt that matches the short measurement. Don't be surprised if you have to get more than one or two belts before you find one that you are happy with the fit.

Let the parts store know what you are doing so you'll know that 1:they will take the unused belts back, 2: they may have a different system for measuring, 3: they may already know the size belt you need.
Looks like an added idler may be needed.
Manuals & Guides

Marty
Old 06-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
Looks like an added idler may be needed.
Manuals & Guides
Hey Marty! Nice find!

Would still rather not run without an A/C. Buying an idler ILO a compressor has got to be a difficult decision and even more so a long term commitment to running w/o air.

I have not see a motorhome w/o an air conditioning compressor but I will ammend my remarks from post #3 to "it was never designed (intended) to be run w/o a compressor in a motorhome application."
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why bypass the A/C?

if you are concerned about the effect on MPG.. You can just unplug the compressor's electrical lead.. That turns into an idler.. Unless of course the bearing has seized. (Happened on my towed, at around 180,000 miles)
Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
the clutch is making lots of noise, I have already replaced one compressor because of the clutch. I would have liked to carry one with me that I can reroute. It makes noise whether the compressor is operating or not. I tried to pull it one but I cain,t see the front, I would have to have a special puller that will fit inside 4 inches.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
the clutch is making lots of noise, I have already replaced one compressor because of the clutch. I would have liked to carry one with me that I can reroute. It makes noise whether the compressor is operating or not. I tried to pull it one but I cain,t see the front, I would have to have a special puller that will fit inside 4 inches.
i was under my moho today and measured the angle between the top idler and the power steering pump.
i believe that you could install a shorter serpentine belt from the alternator, over the top of the existing idler connecting to the power steering pump pulley. you might need a new grooved idler pulley of similar size. it looks the new configuration would clear the water pump pulley by about 1/2''.
if you do try this, please keep me informed as to the belt length and part number for the grooved pulley as i am interested in doing this also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if Dal-L's idea is good for a short distance drive?

I' d keep a 2nd "short" spare belt as well. Just for the off chance of a compressor's bearings seizure. In that event, you are dead-in-the-road ! She's not moving an foot... Has happened to me in 42 years of auto driving some 3-4 times in the hot summertime.

Hope to never have to call for a tow truck if I have a spare short belt on hand. I believe Coach Net will send a service guy to help me get-er-done and road-worthy in short time until I can limp homeward for a/c repair [where I can negotiate better w/o duress].

This has been on my to-do list. Let us know if come up with a length.
62Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just found this item:
8.1L Air Conditioning Compressor Bypass Pulley: This Bypass pulley bolts on to your engine in the same location as your malfunctioning Air Conditioning compresssor, allowing you to use your original serpentine belt.

Source:" http://www.dealsonwheels.com/partsandaccessories/detail.aspx?id=3302902&pn=1AEPM00026&cid=788"
62Morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
the belt to by the air conditioner is DAYCO 5060955 from auto zone.
now you have to run it on top lof the idler pully above the fan pully with the 6 v side down the wrong way on this one idler. I test ran it and it seem ok at least it will get you somewhere for a new compressor.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Just found this item:
8.1L Air Conditioning Compressor Bypass Pulley: This Bypass pulley bolts on to your engine in the same location as your malfunctioning Air Conditioning compresssor, allowing you to use your original serpentine belt.

Source:" http://www.dealsonwheels.com/partsandaccessories/detail.aspx?id=3302902&pn=1AEPM00026&cid=788"
that url doesn't work.
the part number 1aepm00026 does work when googled.
cost is $43.95. imho the ac compressor would have to be removed to install it, not something i would want to do while on the road.
thanks for this info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
here is more info and part numbers for using an alternate serpentine belt configuration to avoid a failed air conditioning compressor pulley.
my parts guru at cost-less auto parts in the 'couv researched some parts for me today.

if one wanted to remove the ac compressor, dorman makes a bracket and pulley assembly pn 34174, $35, for this purpose. it is a common stock item at cost-less. the compressor must fail a lot.

i don't want to go there (yet), so i went with the shorter belt that ron 55 recommended and tested, dayco 5060955.

many thanks to ron 55 for the part number and testing the short belt configuration, pn 5060955.

when using this shorter belt, the center idler pulley would have the grooved side of the belt riding on the smooth idler pulley. it would probably ''walk off'' the smooth pulley. to avoid this, i purchased a grooved idler pulley of similar diameter, offset, and bearing bolt size to replace the smooth center idler, goodyear pn 49021.

i am now set up so that if the ac compressor clutch or bearing fails, i can (easily?) replace the belt and idler pulley and have a semi-permanent installation until i decide to either replace the air conditioning compressor component that failed or install the replacement dorman idler bracket and pulley assembly for a permanent installation.
all of these parts are regular stock parts at cost-less auto parts.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:29 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
... all of these parts are regular stock parts at cost-less auto parts.
DAN L, It's better to have a plan in the event of an emergency rather than no plan at all.

Good job in presenting this information and the solution.

Tags
fan