Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Faulty fuel readings - 08 W22

We have an 08 Bounder on a w-22 chassis, the problem we have is when fueling at a fill up (not an overfill) the gauge reads almost 1/4 tank over full, at 5/8 of a tank it takes approx. 42 gallons. (75 gal tank) When in the mode to show miles to empty, with a full tank it starts at about 450 MTE, as we travel and the gas tank go down, the mile to empty go UP, after using about 1/2 tank the gauge show about 700+ miles to empty ( I wish). First dealer said cluster to working right and after checking with WH, said according to my serial no. that there is an updated sending unit and "card" but fuel tank had to be amost empty for them to change it. After some use I found that a WH dealer is 12 miles from my home, so there it went. Now they said cluster is fine, can't under stand the problem, never heard of the sending unit having a "card" . They claim everthing is based on avg. and first dealer just was guessing. (even though it was the WH rep that said change out sending unit. I kept telling anybody at the second dealer, the miles to empty should not go up, especially not twice the range of a full tank, in my older mind I don't think that number should go up at all.

Has anyone else had this issue?? Someone from WM said the Reg'l Service Mgr. would calll me back after I called (from over 2 hrs) to customer service, of course nobody called.

I like the dealer, but I know when something isn't right. I would like for wH to also read this.
aquestrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For example, I live in CO and cross the Rockies. Going up the mountain my IP may say 3.8 or 4.3 MPG. It sees I have a half a tank of gas left. I switch to ' Miles to empty'. It goes 4MPG X 35 Gal = 140 miles.

Then I go down the mountain, it says averaging 20 MPG. still has a half tank.
35 Gal X 20 MPG =700 miles to empty.

The Actia knows when the engine is working hard and sucking lots of gas, it knows when it is just chillin and getting great gas mileage, but it does not know how to average except maybe for the last gallon of gas.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe inaccurate fuel gauges are the norm. After filling up, I go anywhere from 100 to 140 miles before the gauge starts moving off of full. When it reads 3/4 full the engine has burned about 35 gallons. When the gauge reads 1/2 full the engine has burned approximately 50 gallons. I have a Scan Guage and that is where I get the gallons consumed values from.. I never use the "miles to empty" because it keeps changing like Max49 said. I usually only go 350 to 400 miles before filling up. I could go further, but I don't like to stretch it. Besides, after consuming 50 gallons, my generator won't pick up any gasoline. To make a long story short, 3/4 reading = 1/2 tank actually left and 1/2 reading = 1/3 tank actually left. I've learned to live with this.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquestrian View Post
Please check your PM!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I know this is another plug for ScanGuage II, however I love the fuel used readout, no guessing how much fuel is available.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote