Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fix for bad fuel pump check valve

For the past year I have been experiencing long crank time starting. I had confirmed that the fuel pump check valve had failed by doing several pressure tests on the fuel lines. Fuel pump pressures continue to be in spec when the engine is running.

Until recently, I had lived with this condition by simply cycling the ignition key on several times prior to starting.

I found this handy external check valve. SUR&R(SRRCKV7) for 3/8" fuel lines.
It was easy to instal By cutting a 1.1" section out of the 3/8" fuel line between the tank and the filter.

Compression fittings on each end of the body sealed up the system.

The clamp included was not needed as the fuel line was securely clamped with the original equipment clamp a few inches forward of the valve. The extra parts are for use with non metallic lines.

The whole experience lasted about 30 minutes.

Pressure now holds very long, more then a few hours so far. Engine start immediately just like when new. No pressure loss was seen as the pump puts out more than the regulator needs to hold at 65 psi.

Costs under $30.

Marty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
Pressure now holds very long, more then a few hours so far. Engine start immediately just like when new. No pressure loss was seen as the pump puts out more than the regulator needs to hold at 65 psi. Costs under $30.
Marty, Congratulations on developing this concept. I wish you much success with it going forward. Thanks for posting!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #3

Commercial Member

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via AIM to oemtech
Marty,

I would like to add this to my web site with your permission.
oemtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Marty,

I would like to add this to my web site with your permission.
Dale go ahead and add it. Its not not mine to control. The idea is an established fix that is available on the internet specifically for this problem. I don't know if there are patent issues to deal with.

Marty
Old 03-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the "fix". Now, I do have a question that perhaps someone can answer. The fuel system has a return line in front of the fuel filter that has to go back to the tank. (original design, was with the return T as part of fuel filter, and many of us have replaced). This return line has to have a pressure regulator in it, otherwise there would be no pressure at the rail. Does anyone know where that regulator is located? I have tried to spot it, to no avail. I am hoping the answer is not, that it is in the tank.
If it is in the tank, perhaps a simular solution could exist for it.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PKMesser,
The supplier of this check valve states that this is for systems with return lines. Since yours does have a return line ( at the filter), I believe it would function as long as the check valve is placed between the tank and the filter.

Whether or not the regulator is in the tank should not matter unless it is not regulating properly. Are you experiencing long crank starting?

Marty
Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&EM View Post
PKMesser,
The supplier of this check valve states that this is for systems with return lines. Since yours does have a return line ( at the filter), I believe it would function as long as the check valve is placed between the tank and the filter.

Whether or not the regulator is in the tank should not matter unless it is not regulating properly. Are you experiencing long crank starting?

Marty
Marty, you put in a check valve, which blocks flow in one direction. That is not the same as a pressure regulator. I am pretty sure you are right in that there is a check valve, at the output of the pump, to prevent bleed down when the key is off. And what you did replaces that check valve that is not holding. However, that return line cannot be feeding back into the line after the pump, if so, it would be accomplishing nothing. A return line exists for one reason, and that is to allow the pump to move fuel at a higher rate than the maximum the engine would use, and to return the excess fuel to the tank. But that return line has to be pressure controlled, otherwise there would not be consistant and adequite pressure at the rails. The return line has to have a pressure regulator somewhere. It could be returning to the whole assembly in the tank, with a pressure regulator there, or it could just return to the tank, with a regulator somewhere else. That's what I hope someone can answer.

I do not have an issue now, however I would like to understand the system better, just in case. If the checkvalve fails, one would expect the symptoms you experienced. (long crank time). If a regulator fails, and the fuel pressure goes too low, the engine would not run.

Tags
fuel

« Tire Size | Hello »