Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #1

Some of you may remember a thread we had going here on irv2.com last February about the FLOUNDER Class A motor home. HERE is a link to the beginning of that 5 page long thread.

From initial skepticism about it being a hoax, to the final realization about the unusual name, we were "on it" here at iRV2.com long before the mainstream RV press.

The FLOUNDER is now a cover page story in the September issue of FMCA magazine. The article, with extensive pictures, can be found on page 98.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #2

Some of you may remember a thread we had going here on irv2.com last February about the FLOUNDER Class A motor home. HERE is a link to the beginning of that 5 page long thread.

From initial skepticism about it being a hoax, to the final realization about the unusual name, we were "on it" here at iRV2.com long before the mainstream RV press.

The FLOUNDER is now a cover page story in the September issue of FMCA magazine. The article, with extensive pictures, can be found on page 98.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:25 AM   #3

I've lost whatever little respect I have for the FMCA after their ridiculously fluff review they have of the Flounder in their latest issue.

How dumb do those over the hill FMCA VP's/CEO/board of directors think we are??? The FMCA has absolutely no clue who their target members are...

It proves that they have complete bias when they accept monetary donations for pushing products, no matter how pathetic the product is.

Now...back to the Flounder....I wonder if they have even sold ONE unit...

If you read the horribly biased article in FMCA, you would think that the Flounder is the best thing since sliced bread...

Also, apparently the founder of the Flounder thought it would be wise to built this monstrocity on the W-22 instead of the W-24. Where do these people get the financing to produce these things? My opinion...bankrupt in a year...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I guess we can conclude that FrontRange Rvers is unimpressed with the Flounder. Anybody else got an opinion?

It looks a bit plain compared to showier models, but they pack a lot of goodies in at a very attractive price ($108,000). The 30 inch LCD monitor and residential type appliances are more typical of a high-line coach than an entry-priced gas rig.

I couldn't find an actual weight listed for the Flounder, so cannot comment whether the W22 is too little chassis or not. Anybody know what a Flounder weighs? Anybody seen one anywhere?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #5

I read the FMCA article,yea there was a little fluff,but it still looked like a nice rig.You got me on the weight thing,that would sway me.From other posts I have read ,it may be overloaded and thats bad.I do like the the way it is appointed and the all electric is not as bad as some say.I would have ,and could have come up with a better name,but kudos for trying to build a better MH.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:28 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
I didn't find an actual weight listed for the Flounder, so cannot comment whether the W22 is too little chassis or not. Anybody know what a Flounder weighs? Anybody seen one anywhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Load Limitations
Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).........26,000 lbs.
Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) Front.........8,500 lbs.
Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) Rear..........14,500 lbs.
Hitch Rating (HR).............................................5 ,000lbs.
Hitch- Maximum Tongue Weight (MTW)..........500 lbs.
Gross Towed Weight (GTW)............................5,000 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)..............22,000 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW).....................18,810 lbs.
Gross Cargo Carrying Capacity.........................3,190 lbs.
Subtract:
Fresh water weight............................................ 875 lbs.
LP Gas weight............................................ ......202 lbs.
Sleeping Capacity (6 persons)...........................960 lbs.
Net Cargo Carrying Capacity...........................1,153 lbs.

Got the above straight from the Flounder website HERE

This motorhome has been hashed and re-hashed on other chat boards alot also. I'm thinking there was a person who liked it....I would be curious to see if any have been sold.

Has lots of outside storage...maybe you could store blown up balloons in there....How 'bout that "garbage disposal"? drains right into your gray tank....nice...Apparently they cut and extended the Workhorse chassis frame rails to 258" WB to accomodate the almost 40' length...has a fairly large propane tank..that might be good

This unit might be good for full timers who dont travel much might be one of the (few if any) upsides to owning a unit like this...and of course price....

EDIT: I'm just stating my opinion...something that FMCA should have done and NOT accepted the big dollars to write a fluff piece about this unit. I was a bit harsh in my above statements about this unit...it's just not my cup of tea.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #7

Old 09-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #8

This looks nice. The couch is Vinyl
Old 09-08-2006, 07:23 AM   #9

Bedroom looks very nice
Old 09-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #10

Full Sized Kitchen
Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 AM   #11

Do people really want an "electric only" refrigerator? The website says you can run it for 2 days max while dry camping (inverter). I wonder how much bigger it is than my double door 12 cu foot dual fuel fridge?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:33 AM   #12

Full sized dishwaster and stove also...nice big sink...
Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

Do people really want an "electric only" refrigerator? [my edit Dave]....... I wonder how much bigger it is than my double door 12 cu foot dual fuel fridge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Substitute Cheaper? for Bigger??? Just my guess...

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man that overhang just cries out for "SUSPENSION MODS"

Seriously, I haven't done the math yet but the weight specs and the dimensions just look "off". Before you "kill" me I am just stating a first impression. I would like to see/drive one just to see if it handles as "funny" as it looks in the side view.

Interesting rig at the price point though. Maybe a "Chicago Snowbird Special"? I don't think you'd be doing any serious "boondocking" in it. Just drive it from storage to the winter "campsite" in FLA or AZ. Hook it up and stay there. Just my 2 cents

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote