RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #15

Tom...you are not doing well today...Alfa has the FOUNDER diesel...not a FLOUNDER gas...slow down and read more carefully...TMR

TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm back to "it's a hoax". Mike Thompson thought I asked about a Alfa FOUNDER. They have never heard of a FLOUNDER!

There is no FLOUNDER on Alfa's website only a FOUNDER.

It's a hoax.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
There is no FLOUNDER on Alfa's website only a FOUNDER. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The url provided earlier made no reference to Alfa, and the "Flounder" website wasn't Alfa's. Check it out about midway down page 1 of this thread.

I would guess it's a hoax as well, but who knows?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #18

Hi Tom N...If this is a hoax it is one of the best ever. Please call Thomas Renck, Tech Consultant and IT Manager for Flounder Motor Homes of California LLC and tell him you believe it to be a hoax. His # is 951-680-9400. Or recall Mike Thompson and ask for sales...I spoke to two of their locations and both confirmed the Flounder...clearly not to be confused with the Alfa Founder.

I will assume it is real...until you confirm otherwise!...Thanks...TomR
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Or recall Mike Thompson and ask for sales...I spoke to two of their locations and both confirmed the Flounder...clearly not to be confused with the Alfa Founder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike Thompson's salesman confused it with the Founder. I didn't. They thought I was asking about the Alfa Founder. They told me the Founder was made by Alfa, which I knew. The salesman said nothing about a Flounder. He wanted me to stop in and drive an Alfa Founder. Maybe they don't have a FLOUNDER in stock??

Also, I downloaded both the manual and brochure. The brochure shows a W22 with a fully independent front suspenison. The W22 has a I-beam front suspension. The old P series has an indepentent front suspension. The Flonder [FLOUNDER, typo corrected] needs to get it's act together.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #20

Tom N and TomR, I can see you guys enjoy a spirited debate, and obviously my attempts at humor were pretty LAME. Let's all step back, take a breath, and keep this discussion moving along with civility.......

Whats next, a "jackknifer" fifth wheel?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #21

Thanks Ed...Point noted. I sometimes "need" to respond to bold opinions that are stated as fact rather than asked as a question...nuff said.

Back to my original post...one of the salesman I spoke with said that his understanding is that the Flounder will be offered with the W-25.5...not sure if he meant as an option or what. He suggested the W-22 was the only choice they had for the initial coaches. The 40' coach seems to make more sense with a W-25.5! Might actually be an interesting choice if the interior is reasonable quality and the build is good. Not sure how long it will take to learn if they can build a quality coach? I doubt I would go down that track for a couple of years!...FWIW...TomR
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #22

Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The brochure shows a W22 with a fully independent front suspenison. The W22 has a I-beam front suspension. The old P series has an indepentent front suspension </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You have a keen eye, Sir. And you're right, the brochure is self-contradictatory, showing and claiming a "wide track" IFS, while also stating "solid I-beam front axle". I never did see them actually use the term "W-22", but all the specs they list leaves little doubt, that is what they are using (if any have actually been built yet)

TomR: IF they would use the 25.5, I suspect they could then offer a multiple slideout floorplan AND overcome the issue of low ccc. The brochure sure reads like the early ads for the Alfa products-touting economies of scale due to no options- everything you need built in, one floor plan, etc.

I sure would like to hear a report from some of our west coast members who have been to SEE one! Anybody? ED
Old 02-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
LOL Well, the "Flounder" sure sounds like a hoax to me, but if it's not it won't shock me (surprise yes, shock no)

Hanging a nametag on a motor vehicle is more art than science. I was at Toyota North American Headquarters when they announced the (then) new "Tundra". One of the Vice Presidents hated the name so much, and was so firm in his convictions, that he raised a real stink. I thought it was a stupid name too, but what the heck I was just a contractor.

Sounds like this Flounder is a very elaborate hoax.

Mac
Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Possibly a little information is needed. First the FLOUNDER in NOT an ALFA product as it's produced by the Flounder Motor Homes of California LLC located in Rubidoux, CA.

If you download the brochure, the last page explains the relationship of the owners; possibly there are some who remember John Crean? The founder of Fleetwood RV?
The picture on the cover was taken at the family compound at Newport Beach, CA.

I believe John Crean has placed a shot across the bow of Fleetwood, if not a lot of other gas motor home manufacturers. Like others, I believe the coach should have a W24 chassis and a generator. While these are shortcomings for my needs, there a lot of people who want to LIVE in the unit, and never intend to be without hook-ups. I believe this unit has a rather limited market, but so do most of the units in the RV market, if that wasn't true why are there so many different units manufactured?

If this is a hoax someone really went to lot of trouble.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the last page explains the relationship of the owners; possibly there are some who remember John Crean </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes Fred, I understand the Flounder is not an ALFA product. I believe Alfa is the product of John and his SON. From what I read in the FLOUNDER brochure, I got the impression that Flounder is a company started by John Crean and his son-in-law.

Are you saying the Flounder does not offer a generator?? That would make it a very unusual motorhome indeed. I thought I saw a picture of an Onan 7.0 Gold genset included.

I do not think this is a hoax. But I'm still hoping for an eye witness account. ED
Old 02-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was at Toyota North American Headquarters when they announced...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Mac! is it true that when Toyota and Chevrolet were talking about a merger the deal fell apart because the proposed vehicle was to be called the "Toylet" ?? ED
Old 02-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
I believe Alfa is the product of John and his SON. From what I read in the FLOUNDER brochure, I got the impression that Flounder is a company started by John Crean and his son-in-law.

Are you saying the Flounder does not offer a generator?? That would make it a very unusual motorhome indeed. I thought I saw a picture of an Onan 7.0 Gold genset included.

I do not think this is a hoax. But I'm still hoping for an eye witness account. ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are so correct, the unit a 7.0 KW Onan gen. To the best of my knowledge, ALFA is owned and run by Johnnie Crean, the senior Crean, John, helped design the FOUNDER for Alfa. I am guessing that the co-founder for the Flounder, Steve Thomas, has had a close relationship with the Alfa products, and as the acronym for Alfa represents: "A Loving Family Affair"

I believe the real stroke of genius was the use of "off the shelf" kitchen appliances, now you can go anywhere that particular appliance is carried for service, including the major home improvement stores and your local appliance store.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
OK Y'all. I am in Rubidoux, CA right now. I will only be here for tomorrow then I need to move on. I tried to find a phone number or address of the factory today with no luck. I would think if this was for real they would at least list a phone number on their web site. I called Mike Thompson and got a salesman that said it is not a hoax. He said he has one on his lot and it is built on the W24 chassis. As a real salesman, he would not give me any info about the company without me giving him all my info. I didn't want to be bugged for the rest of my life by this guy so I didn't give him any info and he gave me no info. I will try to call the phone number Tom N posted tomorrow and see if I can swing by the factory and get some info.

W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote