RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #29

Full-Timers, a reverse phone search for the number 951-680-9400 calls out
Flounder Motor Homes
6001 20th Street
Riverside, CA 92509-2030

Do you have a trenchcoat, hat, and dark glasses?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a reverse phone search </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Man you guys are GOOD!

Just for the record, credit TomR for the phone number.

FULL-TIMERS: look for a former Cement Plant

Do you need iRV2 member 007 to come over??

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And to add to this there is a Flounder Motor Homes listed with the State of Calif as an LLC.

Also in their owner manual they list an address of 6001 20 th street
Rubidoux Ca 92509
951-680-9400

yet the zip code is for Riverside.

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group

Well guys and gals, IT'S FOR REAL! I was going to call the phone number here posted by TomR and see if I could arrange a Factory Tour but since troth posted the address, I thought I would first drive by and see if there was such a factory. I punched the address into my GPS and took off. When my GPS said I had arrived, I looked around and saw nothing. A little farther down the road, there it was. I spotted a motorhome sitting outside and could see one inside thought the doors. The factory is fenced off with a secured gate. What the heck, I thought, ring the bell and see what happens. I asked if they were giving any factory tours and they asked if we were "The Fulltimers". Not thinking any thing of it I answered yes and was promptly let in. Guess what? They have been reading these posts and were expecting us. They didn't want to post because they don't want to violate any advertising policies here. We were met by Susan Thomas who is the daughter of John Crean, founder of Fleetwood Trailer Company back in 1950. John was also the original designer of the Fleetwood Bounder, possible where the name Flounder came from. Susan graciously agreed to give us a personal tour of the factory. Susan's husband Steve and John started Flounder Motorhomes. They are real Rvers not just CAD people sitting in front of a computer. They know what people want in a motorhome. For instance there is a dedicated generator battery for when you run your coach batteries dead, you can still start and run the generator. I was impressed with a lot of the design but disappointed with some of it. I guess you can't make everyone happy. The coach is loaded with real residential appliances like dishwasher, trash compactor, garbage disposer, refrigerator, stove, and stackable washer and dryer in the bedroom. Everything you would find in a stick house. These are not RV appliances but full sized residential appliances. With these real appliances the Flounder seem to be geared toward Fulltime use. For now there is only one floorplan, similar to a popular Bounder plan, and décor and I don't believe there are any options, however this coach is loaded. I think for fulltime use a bedroom slide would be nice. Possibly if they go to the W24 or W25.5 chassis they will be adding a bedroom slide. They bought their chassis from another RV manufacturer that was overstocked and got a really good deal on them. I suspect this is why they are building on the W22 for now. Flounder is not affiliated with Alpha or any other company. They are their own company. They operate out of an old Fleetwood trailer plant. They stretch the chassis at the factory by cutting it close to the middle and Hot Riveting in a section. They worked closely with Workhorse on how to properly stretch the chassis. They also extend the back end a bit. Also they got input from Workhorse on front grill design to eliminate the airflow problem some motorhomes have, like mine. They admit they messed up on the picture in the brochure of the Independent Front Suspension. I guess they just grabbed the wrong photo to place in the brochure. I know the Workhorse diesel chassis has IFS. The sidewalls are routed on a huge computer controlled router table. There were several units in various stages throughout the factory. Right now Mile Thompson has exclusive selling rights so that is the only place you will find one.

So yes, Flounder Motorhomes are real and the folks at the factory are really nice people. I wish them all the luck.
Email: FlounderMH@sbcglobal.net
Web: FlounderMotorHomes.com
Phone: (591) 680-9400
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #33

Well FULL-TIMERS, you did us all a big favor by "snooping around" THANK YOU, for your timely and objective post.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They have been reading these posts and were expecting us. They didn't want to post because they don't want to violate any advertising policies here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That shows they have good taste in forums and that they are respectful of our TOS-rules
As for the product, we can all wish them much sucess as they work to achieve market share. I'm sure there are lots of co-pilots out there who will appreciate the extra capabilities of the residential sized appliances. I'm guessing the frig. will require the genset for power while travelling, but that is no big deal as lots of us run the genset to power the roof A/Cs when traveling in hot climates.

Like you, I wish them good luck. Thanks again for searching them out for us. and thanks to TomR for starting the thread in the first place. ED
Old 02-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Well, I still think it's an odd name. But on the plus side at least folks will remember it!

Seems to be made for fulltimers who don't boondock much (or at all). I've always thought that people who are hooked up 359 days a year don't really need (or want) a 3way RV fridge, DC lights, etc.

Mac
Old 02-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
Hey Mac! is it true that when Toyota and Chevrolet were talking about a merger the deal fell apart because the proposed vehicle was to be called the "Toylet" ?? ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Ed, they made us sign some non-disclosure stuff, you know how it is

Mac
Old 02-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #36
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I can see their first club rally. The uniform of the day will be hip waders, inner tubes, vests and fly hats with lunker sticks.

This motorhome would look super good pullin' a center console Grady-White with twin one-twenty-fives. With a name and boat like that, it will say that you've arrived -- with a fishing license I hope.

Good Luck Flounder!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, ya know, if they can really deliver a quality coach for under 110k, wow. EVERYONE starts somewhere. Going to CA in the next couple of months. Think I will stop in if they are amenable.

Charlie
Old 02-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Yes edgray my wife was real impressed with the oven. They said they had to get special permits to put a residential stove in a motorhome. The refer runs off the inverter while traveling and will also run off the inverter while boon docking. One would have to run the generator a while during the day to charge the 4 batteries for nighttime inverter use.

DriVer, the fishing garb sounds like a good idea. These folks seem like real fun people that would probably go for that.

CharlieM, the good thing about Flounder Motor Homes of California LLC is they are experienced in the business. I am sure they have connections and the know how to make this thing swim. Stop by, they are really cool people and will most likely show you around.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One would have to run the generator a while during the day to charge the 4 batteries for nighttime inverter use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Perhaps they can devise a way for the Workhorse 145 amp alternator to charge the house batteries while underway to replace some of what the inverter takes out for the frig.

I have to agree with MAC and CHRIS : this home-like MH is going to appeal to folks who need residential ammenities and don't travel continuously. For those who are parked for months at a time, this unit could be ideal. I'd still like to see it offerred on the W-24 for those times when the Flounder is swimming over to it's next mudflat.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Well Full-Timer beat me to the plant by several hours, when we arrived Susan Thomas mentioned another member of this board has stopped by. While some of these comments will be repeats, I had written my comments prior to reading Full-Timers report. Susan addressed the W22/W24 issue by stating they are very aware of the weight limitations of the items installed and wanted to keep things down to basics.

February 9, 2006

Yes, the Flounder is for real; Bonnie and I made the 11 mile trip to find the Flounder plant on the western edge of Riverside, Ca. When we inquired at the front desk to satisfy our curiosity around this new and feature packed coach, we were introduced to Susan Thomas, wife of Steve Thomas, President, Flounder Motor Homes Inc. Susan gave us the complete "Cooks Tour" of their new coach and a tour of the manufacturing facility. Keep in mind this is not a large, high volume facility; presently each unit is essentially made one at time. Currently the units are sold through Mike Thompson's' Superstores in Southern Ca.

Our first impression was WOW; this unit looks so much nicer in person than in the internet photos. The interior cabinet finish resembles bleached Birch wood grain, not the washed out white appearing wood in the photos. The cabinets are manufactured on the premises as is most of the coach. The residential kitchen appliances make the living area very much "home like". Susan stated that they had taken one of units to Las Vegas over the Thanksgiving holiday and in fact, cooked the Thanksgiving turkey in the oven as depicted in the on line brochure. The 120VAC Amana refrigerator is connected to the inverter circuit so it can be kept "on" for several days of dry camping off the coach batteries. The Amana appliances set into and along solid molded counter top afforded an ample amount of work space in the kitchen. The cabinets and drawers all fitted well and pulled out to full extension. The front TV, 32" Dell flat screen is placed in a manner to provide more head room, while the "Dog House" is wider than most to provide ample access the 8.lL V8, six screws secure the platform. Extra heavy sound insulation is attached to the dog house for a quieter ride. The various accessory switches, circuit breakers and fuses are easily accessible above the microwave. The front and rear air conditioners have electronic air filters and separate control thermostats in each living area. The bath while not the largest on the market is quite adequate, supporting both tub and shower needs as required, while the sky light over the tub is a vent, positioned to remove any moisture build-up. The offset commode and sink provide more comfortable space. The linen closet in the bath can double for a shirt closet; the clothes rod is already installed. The bedroom was comfortable with two shirt closets and one larger closet under the 20" TV. The stacked washer and dryer are a nice improvement over the combo washer and dryer previously available in motor homes. Bonnie sure liked the pull out drawers of the pantry and the fabric shades, similar to Roman Shades. While there is only one fabric offered, soft olive green, the cornices are attached with Velcro and could easily be changed to your preference

The W22 chassis is spliced, in two places to provide the 258" wheelbase. The two splices are Huck-bolted, rather than welding, affording a stronger splice. The entire chassis is placed in laser alignment jig to ensure an absolute straight splice. The chassis rail splice is accomplished in house while the drive line extension is outsourced to a commercial truck facility, trued and balanced before returning to the production facility. The exhaust system is joined just aft of the twin mufflers, exhausting through a single mammoth tube on the street side. The side walls are vacuum bonded; slide out and windows are routed out on a CNC system. The roofing is Dicor TPO which should be very low maintenance.

While this company is just getting off the ground the desire to produce a quality coach and back it up with a direct factory support is encouraging. Susan mentioned that Steve wants to be directly involved with customer satisfaction, something lost in the large manufacturers.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:14 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I've always thought that people who are hooked up 359 days a year don't really need a 3way RV fridge, DC lights, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RVers that don't travel and are hooked up 359 days a year don't need a motorhome. They need a 5th wheel or a travel trailer.

Flounder should shift their production to a 5th wheel with home appliances.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Perhaps they can devise a way for the Workhorse 145 amp alternator to charge the house batteries while underway to replace some of what the inverter takes out for the frig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All Workhorse gas chassis come equiped with a battery isolator that charges the coach and chassis batteries when the engine is running.

If the Flounder does not charge the coach batteries from the engine Flounder has removed the isolator.

Tom
currently at Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote