Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #1

I've seen other posts regarding some sort of driveline howl. I've thought that mine had a howl that is louder than normal when in 4th and 5th gear, starting at around 35 mph. Since 'noise' can be somewhat subjective, I never took the time to have it looked at.

Since I had to take the MH in for a turn-signal repair anyway, I mentioned it. Got a call today, saying that something might be wrong in the differential. I'm taking it back in next Monday and will post if in fact there is a problem, and what the solution is...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #2

I've seen other posts regarding some sort of driveline howl. I've thought that mine had a howl that is louder than normal when in 4th and 5th gear, starting at around 35 mph. Since 'noise' can be somewhat subjective, I never took the time to have it looked at.

Since I had to take the MH in for a turn-signal repair anyway, I mentioned it. Got a call today, saying that something might be wrong in the differential. I'm taking it back in next Monday and will post if in fact there is a problem, and what the solution is...

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #3

Haven't gotten the final word yet, but called my local Workhorse dealer for an update. After driving the MH, they felt something might be wrong. They have opened up the differential and found water and rust in there. Waiting for a response from Workhorse. MH has less than 6,500 miles on it; any one have any ideas on how this could happen?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
... any one have any ideas on how this could happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Richard 34.5A, One could speculate on any number of scenarios however resolving the problem should get you back on the road again without ever having to worry about something like this happening again.

It has often been experienced that within the 3 year and 36,000 warranty period issues like this will make themselves known before one's warranty expires. Most owner's that keep their motorhomes past the warranty don't normally have these types of problems.

If it doesn't break within 3 years it should be fine for a long time when routine preventative maintenance is applied.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:

Since I had to take the MH in for a turn-signal repair anyway, I mentioned it. Got a call today, saying that something might be wrong in the differential. I'm taking it back in next Monday and will post if in fact there is a problem, and what the solution is... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard 34.5A
Here is a previous post on rearend noise encountered by Pubtym that may or maynot help.
This link is to page 5 in particular showing what was causing his in the differential.
Doghouse Noise and Heat
Old 05-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:

Since I had to take the MH in for a turn-signal repair anyway, I mentioned it. Got a call today, saying that something might be wrong in the differential. I'm taking it back in next Monday and will post if in fact there is a problem, and what the solution is... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard 34.5A
Here is a previous post on rearend noise encountered by Pubtym that may or maynot help.
This link is to page 5 in particular showing what was causing his in the differential.
Doghouse Noise and Heat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks JC2;

The shop is closed today but went by just to see what pieces might be laying on the ground and what they looked like. The differential seemed to be put together but the driveline was disconnected. I don't think anything has actually been repaired; I was hoping to see the rust and water that I had been told about. I'm sure the shop is waiting on Workhorse on what the next steps will be.

If damage has been done due to water in the differential, I'd sure like to know how it got there. I bought the MH used, with approximately 5,500 miles on it. I doubt the fluid had been changed at the recommended 5k mark so it would seem that whatever fluid was in there came that way from the factory.

I'll post more once the repair is made; might take another week before it's put back together but I sure hope they can reduce the highway speed driveline howl. I will say that I had a 1995 Ford Flair that was far worse but was told repeatedly that it 'was normal'.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:10 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard, I really dont like the sound of your problem with the rear axle assy on your MoHo.. Nearly the only way for any significant amount of water to enter the rear axle housing is thru the vent, and for that to happen the vent must have been under water.. It can happen when launching a boat, happened to me on a 4x4 Dodge PU, or from flooding.. Could your Coach be a Katrina Victim? Make certain that not only the third member( ring, pinion, side gears and bearings) are corrected, but that the axles and outer bearings are corrected too. Lube contaminated with water is a lousy lubricant, and doesn'nt protect the components. Once noisy, a rear axle never gets quieter. Some "soldier on" for a long time before they begain to fail, but they never get better, and this is an assembly you DONT want to be paying for ...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
Richard, I really dont like the sound of your problem with the rear axle assy on your MoHo.. Nearly the only way for any significant amount of water to enter the rear axle housing is thru the vent, and for that to happen the vent must have been under water.. It can happen when launching a boat, happened to me on a 4x4 Dodge PU, or from flooding.. Could your Coach be a Katrina Victim? Make certain that not only the third member( ring, pinion, side gears and bearings) are corrected, but that the axles and outer bearings are corrected too. Lube contaminated with water is a lousy lubricant, and doesn'nt protect the components. Once noisy, a rear axle never gets quieter. Some "soldier on" for a long time before they begain to fail, but they never get better, and this is an assembly you DONT want to be paying for ...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rgrstndgby;

Thanks for the reply. At this point it is a mystery but my local Workhorse dealer might come up with an answer. I live in Sonoma County, California, and as it turns out, it was purchased new here; it's the same store I bought it from. I know that an older couple had it and made one or two trips to Washington state. They only had it about 7 months and traded it on for a 33'.

I spoke to the previous owner on the phone once and he told me he wanted a fancier Winnebago but a little shorter in length. Looking at the hitch it appeares that it never had anything hooked up to it, so I think a boat ramp is out.

I'm hoping to get more information this week and will post it. The main lesson here is that if you have a driveline howl, even a minor one, it's worth checking out. My wife didn't think the noise meant anything and didn't feel that it was too loud at highway speeds, but look how it's turning out.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:27 AM   #9

Here's an update:

Workhorse tells me that water has gotten into the differential. They recommend replacing the rack & pinion, the bearings, innner and outer seals, and something nicknamed 'a pumpkin'. Workhorse has denied the warranty claim, though they have no explaination on how water might have gotten into the differential. Since I'm the second owner, (2005 35A with 5,600 miles when I bought it) I have no idea either. I've only driven the MH less than 700 miles and bought it from the same dealer that sold it new.

They tell me that even though I bought the extended warranty, they too will deny the claim. I've contacted the selling dealer but won't know what they will do until Monday or Tuesday.

Sooo, you can spend $80K+ for a MH that is still under warranty, buy the extended warranty for 'piece of mind', as the salesperson called it, and get hosed even more in just 700 miles (about 250 of those miles is repeated trips to the selling dealer trying to things fixed)... this MH has had so many problems that in the four months we've owned it it's never been on a trip out of town...

The chassis was built around November of 2004 and Winnebago built the coach around March of 005; anyone know of possible flooding at either factories around that time frame?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The chassis was built around November of 2004 and Winnebago built the coach around March of 005; anyone know of possible flooding at either factories around that time frame? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have never head of any flooding at either the chassis manufacturer in Union City, IN or the coach builder, Winnebago Industries in Forest City, IA.

Getting water in the pumpkin is a pretty neat trick if you can do it. If it ever flooded to that degree where water got in through the vent you would see water damage under the coach and throughout the storage compartments.

The pumpkin by the way is the entire axle and differential assembly carrier. The driveshaft connects to the differential gear set and the gear set is bolted into the pumpkin. The pumpkin holds all the gear oil that lubricates the gears and wheel bearings.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The pumpkin by the way is the entire axle and differential assembly carrier. The driveshaft connects to the differential gear set and the gear set is bolted into the pumpkin. The pumpkin holds all the gear oil that lubricates the gears and wheel bearings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little "loose" Driver, it might be a matter of regional semantics, but the term "Pumpkin", usually refers to a removable center section, containing the ring/pinion, side(spider)gears, and carrier.and abot 40 more little things. Some vehicles dont have the removable center section, thus..No Pumpkin. The wheel to wheel housing that holds the "pumpkin, is th3e axle housing, In days "long gone by", some called it the banjo housing.. I only post this so Richard will know what they are calling what.. Also, I'm sure Richard meant "Ring and Pinion", rack and pinion is steering gear.. It might not take as much water as you might think. The 4x4 Dodge I ruined the rear end axles and axle bearings on was dunked only to the top of the axle housing, but thats where the vent "Was".. Hot axle, cold water, and slurp, it "inhaled" about a pint. (Found to be overfilled by that amount, and when I got home and was investigating a whine, I found it to be overfilled by that amount..lube looked like a mocha shake.) I got away with a couple of axles and outer bearings, but the Ring and Pinion was "singy" from then on. A 4x4 Power Wagon, "singy" wasn't an issue.. I still think Richards MoHo got dunked somewhere, as only way in for water is thru the refill plug(no), or vent, very possible..I guess somewhere it could have been filled with contaminated lube, but I dont see that happening...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The pumpkin by the way is the entire axle and differential assembly carrier. The driveshaft connects to the differential gear set and the gear set is bolted into the pumpkin. The pumpkin holds all the gear oil that lubricates the gears and wheel bearings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little "loose" Driver, it might be a matter of regional semantics, but the term "Pumpkin", usually refers to a removable center section, containing the ring/pinion, side(spider)gears, and carrier.and abot 40 more little things. Some vehicles dont have the removable center section, thus..No Pumpkin. The wheel to wheel housing that holds the "pumpkin, is th3e axle housing, In days "long gone by", some called it the banjo housing.. I only post this so Richard will know what they are calling what.. Also, I'm sure Richard meant "Ring and Pinion", rack and pinion is steering gear.. It might not take as much water as you might think. The 4x4 Dodge I ruined the rear end axles and axle bearings on was dunked only to the top of the axle housing, but thats where the vent "Was".. Hot axle, cold water, and slurp, it "inhaled" about a pint. (Found to be overfilled by that amount, and when I got home and was investigating a whine, I found it to be overfilled by that amount..lube looked like a mocha shake.) I got away with a couple of axles and outer bearings, but the Ring and Pinion was "singy" from then on. A 4x4 Power Wagon, "singy" wasn't an issue.. I still think Richards MoHo got dunked somewhere, as only way in for water is thru the refill plug(no), or vent, very possible..I guess somewhere it could have been filled with contaminated lube, but I dont see that happening...rgr... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks both DriVer and rgrstndgby for the replies; yes, I was typng too fast before heading to work and typed in 'rack' and not 'ring'!

I guess there is no doubt that my MH got some sort of dunking and I'll never know what happened for sure. One possibility is the MH went too far down a boat ramp though the hitch doesn't show any signs of wear. I agree that the MH should show more signs of water damage; I know the storage compartments don't show any signs of having been under water. I'm certainly going to take a good look at everything once I get the MH back.

To all those that have mechanical knowledge (I have NONE!) when the MH was inspected and serviced at trade-in time and just before I bought it, should the Winnebago dealer noticed that the rear differential fluid was contaminated? With only 5,600 miles I understand that they wouldn't have been looking for a problem like this, per se, but should they 'found' the contaminated fluid when getting it ready to sell doing a routine inspection and service, or is this just 'one of those things' and I'm stuck with the repair bill?
Old 05-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMHO.... It may be overly optimistic to believe ANY motorhome dealer would go to the extent of that type of inspection. I think with the limited number of miles you have on the coach, they probably just put it right out on the lot and may not have even washed it.

It's a sad situation. I hope you get them to stand behind their sale.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the warranty won't cover it and the extended warranty won't cover it, and I don't see why they should'nt unless they say it was an accident, vandalism or flood, and then your comprehensive insurance will have to cover it.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote