Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Front air bags

Just made out 1st hwy trip with rv and trailer. 88 miles and it was horrible. Rv all over the road and making trailer move around. My front air bags have been removed. I can't find a set that says it fits it anywhere. Its a 1992 fleetwood bounder class a.
P30 chevy chassis. Was told i need these to handle better. Anyone know where i cam get them.
Camping world never even called me back about them.
jpatt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

check with www.ultrarvproducts.com they are experts at sourcing parts, and a sponsor here..
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatt87 View Post
Just made out 1st hwy trip with rv and trailer. 88 miles and it was horrible. Rv all over the road and making trailer move around. My front air bags have been removed. I can't find a set that says it fits it anywhere. Its a 1992 fleetwood bounder class a.
P30 chevy chassis. Was told i need these to handle better. Anyone know where i cam get them.
Camping world never even called me back about them.
I got my last set on Ebay, last year about this time. Less than a hundred bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Lift-815...xSb9Wy&vxp=mtr

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Just do s search online - lots of places & prices.
eTrailer has them and looks decent price.
I replaced a set yrs ago on 1st Cl A MH...made a huge difference
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
I got my last set on Ebay, last year about this time. Less than a hundred bucks.

Air Lift 81560 Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Kit 70-95 Chevy & GMC G10/20/30 Vans | eBay
cool deal. Thank u very much.
I bought a new steering stabilizer today to install as I'm hoping the other is junk and that added to my issue. What psi u think I should start with
Old 05-05-2017, 12:32 AM   #6

Here's another, I used these on our 94 Fleetwood Southwind.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fip-4100
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's a good replacement procedure:
Air Bag Replacement - JdFinley.com

Install the remote fill lines to make checking pressure easier. Also, I use these (do internet search they are about $2.50 each): 'Tire Pressure Monitor Valve Stem Caps - HEX Style'

I run mine at 70PSI - on a P32 16,500 lb chassis.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #8

I replaced ours with the Air Lift 1000 bags a few years ago. Matched the model number of their bags to my rig, then ordered them through our local Autozone store. Lifetime warranty and so far, haven't leaked any. Installing them was a booger but i got em in...
Old 05-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #9

I should have knocked on wood at my last post. Went out to check pressures Friday afternoon and found the passenger side's bag deflated. Tried to inflate but the leak was apparent. Called the company before leaving for the lake but had to leave a message. Got home today (Sunday) and found that they did call back. Will see what they have say when i hollar back at them during business hours tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #10

Thought i'd post a follow up.

Got a hold of the Air Lift company, told them what was going on, and got a replacement bag put in the mail the next day. It arrived yesterday, the 15th, and i installed today.

As suspected, getting the old one out was a booger and a half. Cut on it, pulled on it, pryed on it, and finally got it removed. Was dreading installing the new one but to my surprise, it seemed to go in a little easier than the one i installed a few years ago. Inflated, test drove, and we're back in action. I wasn't sure why the first Air Lift bag went out but it was nice that the company stood behind their product. Thanks to them for that...

Quick question: Has anyone tried removing and reinstalling via taking the front end apart? I noticed while underneath, that 4 bolts held the lower A-arm to the frame. Had a notion that if i removed those, along with the shock, that i might be able to drop that end of the A-arm enough to get the spring out. Wouldn't mess with the ball joint end. I'm supposing that spring pressure might still be an issue so it's probably not a good idea to try this at home.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

This is how you do it and If I were you I'd be leaving the the a arms in place.

kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #12

I replaced mine on a 96 P32 through the center hole. Getting them out was easy, you just cut them up and use vice grip to yank them out. Putting in the new bags was very difficult. You roll them in a cylinder shape, tie them to keep them in that shape (I used nylon tie wraps and then you insert into hole, twist, push, shove, cuss, twist, cuss some more. I found that once you force the air out of the new bags put the air cap back on, tighten the tie wraps, then take the air cap off and tighten the tie wraps even more. I also used rubber lubricant to help ease the pain.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #13

mine finally arrived and I'm gonna tackle it on Saturday. sounds like it is gonna be fun
Old 05-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #14

There is no way that these air bags are fitting through the hole in the lower control arm. Its way to small and the bags will not squeeze or let me smash them even close to that???