Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

Front end vibration

I have a 2004 Damaon Challenger , workhorse P 32 chassis
I get a vibration that shakes the MH starts at 58 MPH, it is at its worst 62 to 65 MPH
I had new tires put on ,front end alignment, tires balanced. The service centers I have taken it too don't have any idea what is causing it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #2

Out of round tires. Goodyear is famous for this

Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #3

The front tires are new Michelins
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Did this start with the new tires?

New tires or not, you could still have one go out of round at highway speeds even it it is perfectly balanced. Have the installer jack up the front end and spin the tires up to highway speed and see what happens. Another thing to do is have them dismount and remount the tires.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 1999 P32 has a shimmy damper. Looks like a shock absorber and easy to check by disconnecting a bolt. If vibration was there prior to new tires check this. If you had front bearings greased check for loose bearing.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc View Post
I have a 2004 Damaon Challenger , workhorse P 32 chassis
I get a vibration that shakes the MH starts at 58 MPH, it is at its worst 62 to 65 MPH
I had new tires put on ,front end alignment, tires balanced. The service centers I have taken it too don't have any idea what is causing it.
If the shaking started after the new tires and front end work, it's something they did. Most likely a bad balance job.If they can't fix it, find another shop. At least have them swap the fronts to the rear as a test.

Sometimes you can look at the thin line that runs next to the wheel rim to see if the tire is true to the wheel. If its not, they can break it down and reseat it.

If you had the shake before you took it in, they should have done some troubleshooting, before just doing stuff. Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion.

I had new tires put on my car and pickup this year. I had both vehicles back for rebalancing. They both shook at 65 mph. The guy must have seen it was enough, on the machine, and sent them out.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire shop "chased" my RV vibration with no success. I finally askew them swap fronts and backs. Instant cure.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #8

This has been going on since we bought it ten years ago I had all new tires put on about 5 years ago
It didn't go away, had them rebalanced by two different shops. This summer I took it to a third pla ce this one is Semi truck and trailer service center and they sell new semi tractors also. I had them put front and rear wheel bearings on. Two newMichelin tires the front, had it front end aligned also. Had them check out everything on the power train they said all was good and safe to drive. They basically told me that they couldn't find what was causing the vibration. On vac this month it vibrated bad enough even my wife in the passenger seat felt it. I'm starting to think that it must be something other than the tires causing it.? I have already spent alot of time and money on it. Really not sure what to do next.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #9

Call around truck shops to find one that specializes in drive train vibrations.

If they claim they know what to do, ask for references.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Call around truck shops to find one that specializes in drive train vibrations.

If they claim they know what to do, ask for references.
Exactly my line of thought. It may not be a tire vibration at all. I would have a qualified truck repair center tech drive this unit at the suspect speed and look for a driveline vibration as in driveshaft or universal joint problem.
By any chance does the vibration seem to change when accelerating or decelerating?
Lynn
Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #11

If you tell us where you are located perhaps someone could suggest a specific shop nearby.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #12

It does get a little better up around 70 and little over
I live in the Iowa City Cedar Rapids Davenport Iowa area.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc View Post
It does get a little better up around 70 and little over
I live in the Iowa City Cedar Rapids Davenport Iowa area.
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or the seat of the pants. Are the wheels balanced with weights or beads? Has the driveshaft ever been removed that you know of. You might consider removing the drive shaft and taking them to a shop to check run out and balance, if the vibration is in the seat of the pants.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #14

I would keep after this. Eventually a vibration will cause damage to other components. A driveshaft vibration will place undue wear on differential pinion bearings and rear transmission seals and bushings.
Does the transmission have a brake drum for a parking brake on it? It could be out of round or severely out of balance.
A worn driveshaft bearing support can allow the drive shaft to go out of alignment enough to cause a vibration as well as the support bearing itself.
An out of alignment rear axle assembly can cause a vibration as it will allow the U-joints to be misaligned.
Have the wheel rims been put into a spin balancer and checked for out of round both radial and lateral runout?
I'm skipping around some but just throwing these ideas out as I think of them.
The MH should at least be jacked up, blocked and run the rear wheels to check for a runout condition. The fronts can be checked with a runout gauge or watched wile using an on the vehicle wheel balancer. This will also check for excess runout in hub assemblies at the same time.
Just some thoughts.
Lynn

Tags
vibration