Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Front wheel bearings leaking

I've looked but couldn't find any reference so far.
I noticed some oil, grease from my front wheel. I have the 22.5 wheels and a friend told me they are oil filled. I'm at a loss so far. I am very mechanical inclined but never seen this type cover. How do you know how much to fill etc. Help!!! workhorse chassis.
howie-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The center of my wheel cover will pop out ,so you can see the plastic cup that holds the oil.There is a lile showing how much to add. First thing is to find why it leaked,I had a problem with breaks and it melted the cup(it is plastic)Also check your books about how often before it needs changing.(I do it every year ) Hope this helps.
Bill
Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS

The W Series chassis utilize two different front hub bearing systems. The W20, W22, and W24 chassis utilize an oil lubricated front hub bearing system. The oil level in the front hubs can be checked by simply looking into the sight glass on the front wheel hubs. The sight glass is located in the center of the hub and is mark with a full level on the glass. If oil is low, remove the cap located in the center of the hub adjacent to the sight glass taking care to not allow any dirt or water in the oil and the fill is pointed upward. Once filled to the proper level drive a short distance and check oil level again, you may require addition oil as flows through the system. The condition of the fluid must also be inspected during tire rotation or once if per year, if fluid is contaminated (i.e. dirt or water in the oil) the fluid must be changed and inner hub assembly cleaned.

The W16 and W18 chassis utilize spindle-less hub system with uni-pack bearings. This front hub bearing system does not require adjustment, maintenance, inspection or lubrication.

The P Series chassis utilize packed grease front hub bearing lubrication system. This system uses a high temperature wheel bearing grease, see “Recommended Fluids and Lubricants” in the Owner’s Manual or in the back of this guide, for lubrication specifications. Under normal usage these bearings should be clean, inspected and repacked with grease every 30,000 miles or during brake relining, whichever occurs first. In a severe duty application this interval should be every 15,000 miles or during brake relining, whichever occurs first.

DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I found a slight leak on the driver inside seal. It shows up as a slightly wet ABS ring. I will reseal it when and if we get new calipers - I plan on changing the front rotors at the same time.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
I plan on changing the front rotors at the same time.
Heads up! When my rotors were changed the inner seal was obtained locally. It was a CR (Chicago Rawhide) crossover part number. Bad News is that both seals leaked.

The center then changed them to the Workhorse part number seal and there have been no leaks since.

BTW: For all ... do not overfill the hubs because the fluid will spin out onto your wheel covers or alloy wheels.

That is all ...
Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue. Drivers side inside front seal leak.
It would only leak if parked on the correct spot though (wheel orientation). And even then, very very slowly.
My local WH shop replaced the seal under warranty.
I never let the level get too low, so the bearings were fine.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
Drivers side inside front seal leak
Why does it always have to me "My" side!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this inspection done with the wheel off?

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks all, I read the chassis guide and took care of the problem...... For now.
howie-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1hog View Post
Is this inspection done with the wheel off?

Johnnie
No. If you pull the wheel cover, center cap, or hubcap, you will see a black plastic device with a sight glass on the front. Inside, through the glass, you will see the oil, similar to motor oil but heavier. Only fill it from the bottom to the first line. Some people have filled it past the center to the top line, which is way too much.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Why does it always have to me "My" side!
You wouldn't want to imply that the wife's side is heavier - would you?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
You wouldn't want to imply that the wife's side is heavier - would you?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
That could be suicidal!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This my first attempt to use this forum.....so be easy on me......I have a w20 with a v8. The passenger side wheel bearing leaks oil from the rubber seal in the center of the hub. Is this because I have overfilled the oil? The current level is evenly across the center. about an 1/8 inch above the center level. I have put a rag in there to soak up the leaking oil so it doesn't weep onto the shiny alcoa rims. ps where can I purchase another rubber seal? GThanks
jwd53 is offline   Reply With Quote