Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The need for a returnless system is mandated by GM emission control requirements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course this has nothing to do with cost... you think! They could have made the T adapter and used the old style filter and still complied with all emissions regulations. Again it probably had nothing to do with cost or having a proprietary part (capture the market).

The return line is use to bleed off pressure from the fuel rail/line and return that gas to the tank and not vent anything on to the air. Now consider 40'+ in steel line or fuel hose and the cost to install it compared to maybe 3' and a part nobody else has. Old style filter $10 versus new style filter $60.

Almost forgot... The DIY mod will probably void your warranty per si, thats assuming you have one. Me I don't.

But, consider the fact the I/you can make one for about $20 ($10 for the part and $10 for welding) why didn't GM/WCC just add a "T" to the original fuel filter connector. The fittings are a standard GM 16mm Saginaw fitting with a nitrated "O" ring.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
They could have made the T adapter and used the old style filter and still complied with all emissions regulations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>May I humbly offer that the "T" will add 1 additional point of failure whereas the OEM has 3 points of failure. This "might" have been a consideration in engineering the part.

Now that said a fixed manifold somewhere upstream might have allowed the legacy filter to be retianed and serviced with only 2 points of failure.

Just trying to stay out of the heat today. My back porch in the shade registers over 100 degrees and the THI at the Myrtle Beach AFB is somewhere around 104 degrees.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Warranty is not an issue with me, unless there is an extended warranty to cover emission controls.

As for failure points, there are so many in the motorhome chassis today, regardless of maker, it seems one or two more wouldn't matter and it sure would have made the owners lives a lot easier to handle. I've already fixed about 100 on this coach, mostly box related though.

98 degrees here index of 114! Heading out to the golf course in this balmy weather.

Thanks for the replies and information.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
One extra point of failure..... Mike, your reaching. I don't disagree but I would suspect it very low on the list. As you said in a previous post, "It's all about Benjamin's"

Setting in cool Rochester, Mn... 82
Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The part number for the OEM AC Delco GF481 has changed to GF652 or GM P/N 25171792.

Glenn
Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
The part number for the OEM AC Delco GF481 has changed to GF652 or GM P/N 25171792.

Glenn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glenn, how much is it from GM??

Is that the 1/2 qt, 1 qt or 2qt??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Jim,
I have an 03 WCC under my Winnebago Adventurer and use the Fram g-2737 that I purchased at Wal-mart.

It is easy to replace except you have to be quick. I had problem with rusted bolt that holds it to rail and used split wrenches to get over line so as not to strip fuel line.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote