Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
So, let's leave it at that. We agree to disagree. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think that this "debate" has been excellently thought out and well presented to the readers. Congratulations on your presentation and keeping focus on the subject matter.

Although we have previously debated this issue before ad nauseum with the same result we no doubt will revisit this issue again.

If it were in my control and the subject pops up again, I believe we should link the interested party to the numerous pages that have been dedicated to the subject rather that debate the entire issue over again.

Aside from this one particular issue I don't believe that we have debated any other products quite as robustly.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would love to be able to buy one of these adapters. I'm not sure how much I would pay for it but with WH's filters so expensive and worse yet , so far to find in stock and having to order them, I'm sure one would be worth the price one WH filter.
No one here criticizes someother aftermarket products like UP but since it is basicly software or programming, I wonder how much criticism one would get if they tried to promote their own version of modifying the ECM?
I think it would be good for WH and their customers if someone (Driver comes to mind) would take these posts and pictures of the adapter to the 'powers to be' at WH and ask them to mass produce their own adapter so their customers don't have all this grief and expense getting a simple fuel filter.
How bad can Workhorse need that $40 profit per filter. It could cost them some customers.

I'd like to buy one from one of you guys but I can see why you might be scared to help someone out because of all the 'doomsday' talk here.
I think Husky Jack and OEM Tech have created a great product here. Maybe if you guys were sponsors it would get rave reviews.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #31

I agree with oemy!! Something I would do! We didn't buy these things to throw money at them!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think it would be good for WH and their customers if someone (Driver comes to mind) would take these posts and pictures of the adapter to the 'powers to be' at WH and ask them to mass produce their own adapter so their customers don't have all this grief and expense getting a simple fuel filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max, this has already been done. About a month ago I sent a 6 page registered letter with photo's on the fuel filter/adapter and a few other subjects. So, they have the info and have either chose to not reply or formulating a response.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #33

Mid Atlantic Campers
you guys better watch out, someone may think you are personally attacking one another
Personnaly i love an honest adult exchange

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:00 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W:
We didn't buy these things to throw money at them! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>T&W, I know you are not impacted by this context since you and I both use the same filter. That said; How could .005 cents per mile be considered money if the OEM filter is routinely changed at the recommended interval?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 AM   #35

Steve, as Vito says, "It business, not personal".
Old 11-12-2007, 04:03 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
.. you guys better watch out, someone may think you are personally attacking one another ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You wait until you get down here you BIG knucklehead, I'm gonna attack you with Roxy, "The Hund".
Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All this bickering ---- I'm goin over to the Dark Side -----

(RVNET)

MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #38

DriVer, I have the older and much cheaper filter. I'm betting what really happened at Workhorse with this particular 3 port filter was that engineering never sat down with the bean counters. Lost in all the discussions is what this speciallized item must surely have cost Workhorse. I'm sure the filter manufacturer wanted more money to produce it. Oemy has proved its uselessness. The American Society of Automotive Engineers would probably vote for standands in filter design rather than needless specialization. Some people have deep pockets and can afford dealer mark-up. Most people live on a budget. Isn't this what it's really all about? Now, with all this chatter, should Workhorse dare go back to simplicity and plagiarize Oemy's good work?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #39

Mid Atlantic Campers
LMAO, she better watch out for the Root Motor, the wolf princess, and Uncle Hakbar.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>T&W, Are you familiar with GM & Workhorse's returnless fuel system? The component fuel filter was specifically designed by GM I understand and not Workhorse's bean counters and engineers. The filter design allows fuel to be returned to the tank at the outlet of the filter rather than being returned from the heated engine compartment. The engineering works well, simplifies the fuel system and provides less chance for the fuel to vaporize.

The mission of the filter is multi-fold however the ultimate purpose is to reduce emissions which is what it appears to be good at.

I still am at a loss to understand why people that own $100,000+ motorhomes and consume $150.00 or more of fuel per day can have an objection to spending .005 cents per mile for a fuel filter.

The OEM fuel filter has a life span of 2 years. In 62,000 miles, I believe that I have changed my conventional filter 3 times. Inexpensive yes however even at $180.00 in fuel filters over 5 years, it wouldn't be the straw that broke my back. You want to talk expensive, I just had to buy a set of tires after 5 years. Now that's something I wouldn't want to do on a routine basis.

Cost is not a sufficient basis to sustain this debate because I believe that I have made a sufficient case that dismisses the argument. Yourself being an VA engineer might also see the benefit in a component that handles volatile fuel having 3 points of failure rather than 4.

In closing although Oemy has been a champion and co-developer of the DIY fuel filter adapter, the innovator and creator of the device is HuskyJack.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,
I agree that the fuel system design achieved all of GM's goals as far as efficiency, reduced fuel temperature, and reduced emissions.
The filter adapter I installed now accomplishes my goals of easier to change and less chance of cross-threading, loosen one tubing nut, one clamp and remove the filter vs three tubing nuts and three clamps. The filters are also less expensive and more readily available. I have $17.00 in the fitting and the TIG weld was free by my buddy, the "Welding God" so it's all gravy from here on out.

Dave
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #42

Thanks Dave... Don't you just love when things come together