Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdrogers:
Maybe they will finally find a fix for it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jd,I wouldn't hold my breath. While I'm not going to worry too much about it (there are other ways to gauge your fuel) it still irks me that I can get no one affiliated with WCC to admit that this is a problem. The most I have gotten from them is "well, watch it, we know we have had some problems with the instrument panels."
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #16

I have the same problem on a 2003 Mountain Aire. Taking the unit in tomorrow to have it checked. Will report findings.

Jim C.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last trip to the Nor'Easter's rally it happened to me , the gas gauge plummeted to 0 and then returned to normal. I look at it this way, I think that Winnebago wants us to pay attention to our driving, and when we start becoming careless , we get a wake up call....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdrogers:
I have the same problem with it going past full. This has happened two or three times. Maybe they will finally find a fix for it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Going past full isn't realy a problem, I have the same condition. It takes about a hundred miles or so befoire the needle starts moving and I've become accustomed to this manner of operation. Full is full so if it's full or over full it's still full.

I have had some fuel gauge drop outs with a corresponding alarm or restart but this entire process occurs infrequently and is pracftically imperceptable unless you catch it right away. The event only occurs for perhaps 4 to 5 seconds and it's not mission critical. We can only hope that this anomaly will be resolved by Actia going forward.

In order to test your gauge you can use the Actia advanced diagnostics menu to see if the gauge falls on full, half and empty. If the gauge passes this test it's not defective
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had the problem of the fuel gauge going to empty about 10-15 times in the 3 years I've had my coach. I can't seem to detect any pattern to the occurrences - it's just one of those intermittent things so it's impossible to make it happen when the coach is in the shop. Had it checked twice when in for other stuff - no problem found. Talked to Workhorse about it - they hadn't heard of the problem from any other owners so they didn't have any solutions.

I've just learned to live with it.
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:40 AM   #20

I posted this same anomaly on rv.net and was referred here by one response, BUT a New England responder said that the problem is called "Dash Cluster" and Workhorse has a fix - software fix. It also apparently accounts for the seatbelt light staying on when everyone is belted up...

I intend to try today to phone/email Workhorse -possibly referring to "Dash Cluster" fix will help things along?

In our hearts always: Gus and Zack, the original Cat and Dog travel companions
beardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:44 AM   #21

Ann, consider doing an "Advanced Search" in this forum. Click on the magnifying glass above, and use keywords "Actia Dash". Look in the past 9 or 10 months. Lotsa good info here.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I took my WH to a dealer to check tracking of chassis, out of line by 1/4" front wheel to rear wheels,242" wheel base. If you are traveling behind looks like a crab going down road. Have to take to a spring dealer for alinement. Been there before when I had springs added on Ford chassis.
Dealer also flashed the IP while there and it passed. Did not say if reload had the fix for fuel gage problem, which was the only problem I had with the IP, will ask when my cats come in.
Need the alinement in order to put on Henderson track bar that I have. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:27 AM   #23

I had a problem with my 2005 W-22 chassis from day one. I stopped at the gas station and filled the tank, started the engine, the alarm started going off for low fuel and the needle went to zero. About 20 miles down the road, the gas gauge showed full and the alarm stopped. This happened each time I filled the gas tank. Service Center replaced the sending unit in the gas tank and that solved the problem-however when the Service Center replaced the sending unit they crushed the gas feeder line to the generator, another trip back to have the feeder line fixed. Went to pick up the Motorhome and found that they fixed the feeder line but when the Tech finished it was quiting time and the Tech left without finishing the paperwork and he did not finishing putting everything back together! Not very impressed!!!!!!
wrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:26 AM   #24

As I posted earlier, I took my unit in to the service facility to have them address the fuel gauge problem. They checked several things and decided the problem lay with the sending unit in the tank. They pulled it, checked it, and found that it had some problem (they didn't tell me what they found). Workhorse authorized the installation of a new sending unit.

It will be impossible to tell whether this fixed the problem until I have some 'time on the road' with the unit. One thing the Service Manager said that sounded interesting to me was that if the electrical lead to the sending unit was shorted to ground the fuel gauge would read 'full'. It therefore makes sense that if the fuel gauge sending unit were to experience an 'open', whether permanently or momentarily, the computer which controls the fuel gauge would cause the fuel gauge to read 'empty'. Once the 'open' condition corrected itself, the fuel gauge reading should return to normal.

Only time will tell whether replacing the sending unit will cure the problem

Jim C.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:25 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wrollins:
Workhorse replaced the sending unit in the gas tank and that solved the problem-however when Workhorse replaced the sending unit they crushed the gas feeder line to the generator, another trip back to have the feeder line fixed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Please substitute "Service Center" for the word "Workhorse". The tank is delivered to the OEM with an incomplete fuel system. The OEM adds the internal components to the tank when it's in their chassis shop.

Workhorse will warranty the entire fuel system since it's automotive but they have no control as to exactly how the components were installed.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Went to pick up the Motorhome and found that they fixed the feeder line but when the Tech finished it was quiting time and the Tech left without finishing the paperwork and he did not finishing putting everything back together! Not very impressed!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I bet that if you told them you were waiting for the coach they might have done something different. You know some business' employees work by that Fred Flintstone quitting whistle. I would have been upset also.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same problem on our Newmar. The gauge would drop to "0" and sound an alarm. The dealer and the workhorse service center worked on it several times and finally got it fixed. Same thing, it was the sending unit.

We have not had that problem with our Allegro Bay....thank god!
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote