RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: LOOKING FOR SOME GIUDENCE ON HOW OFTEN,HOW MUCH AND WHAT BRAND OF FUEL INJECTOR ADDITIVE SHOULD I U
1 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #1

MUSIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #2

MUSIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #3

M Man - can't help you with the additive question, but do away with the caps in your next post. All capital letters has some meaning in forum communications that is offensive to some. Not sure what, but your sure to hear about it.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello Music Man,

I spent the last 23 years with Bosch, the world biggest manufacture of fuel injectors (gas and diesel). We never recommended the use of any additives. Form an engineer's prospective; the best preventive measure is to make sure you replace the fuel filter. This should not be required for 50K miles or more. However, if you have reason to suspect that the gas you are getting is not up to snuff, I recommend changing the filter right away. I have never used any fuel system additives and have put 100K's miles on engines with no problems. Just my two cents worth, but additives are a money maker for the seller and not much more. Welcome to the forum.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
all CAPS means you are raising your voice, screaming, or just plane yelling.

Welcome to the forum.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
MUSIC MAN, Welcome to IRV2
You have come to the right place for the answers. Don't worry about the shouting I did it first time also just take off the caps.
As to your question I would agree don't use anything as long as you are driving coach and use gas from good dealers shouldn't have a problem. Have known people by mistake that have put in diesel fuel and thats another story.
Enjoy the forums and visit with your questions often.
When you have a chance place in your sign-profile your coach and chassis info so we can help you better, the signature will follow you around when ever you post something. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MM, My tech recommends CHEVRON, fuel injector claaner with TECHRON. It can be purchased
from Costco in a 4pack for $10.00. I dont know if Iam doing anything for the injectors,
but like syn. oil it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. The tech has an additive that he can
add directley to thw fuel rail, He said he has been able to clean the injector that
another tech wanted to replace, using this cleaner. And the engine will smooth right out
as it sits there and idles! I have use SEAFOAM also, same warm fuzzy feeling! TENN.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only thing I add to the Fuel, is Stabil-fuel stabilizer, mainly for the Generator I am just over 20,000 miles and have no problems.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Hi Music Man,

I don't use any additives. They're mostly hype and don't do anything. My Opinion.

Welcome to IRV2.
US Army 1968-70 SETAF 559th HHD S4
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MUSIC MAN:
Looking for some guidance ... fuel injector additive.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Music Man, Welcome. I know you're new here and perhaps you haven't done this often but we are listening.

Now regarding your question, "Never" and "None". Thanks for the question and please come back and visit often.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #11

In a perfect world you should not have to use any however we don't live in a perfect world. My daughter just picked up a 2002 Seabring Sedan and the check engine light came on with P0300 and P0301 codes indicating multiple and cylinder one misfires. The problem was the car was driven by an 80+ year old lady with failing eyesight so she never took it out on the highway and did sit with it idleing alot. The maintenance log showed that all recommended maintenance had been done and the bottom line was carbon build up from short trip and non-highway use. A tank of good gas, an aggressive application of injector cleaner and a hours drive on the highway was all that was required to clear it up.

If you don't sit with your coach idling for extended periods, do take it out regularly at highway speeds, keep up with fuel filter changes and only use good gas then never. If you miss on any of the above then once or twice a year a good fuel system cleaner may be requred. You have to judge by your experience with the coach, how you drive it and how it is running.

Recommendation on brand is a toss up, some will tell you anything that is in a metal container such as SeaFoam is a good choice. How much should be according to the label on the can/bottle and how much fuel is in your tank at the time.

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have taken three gasoline powered vehicles past 250K miles, two Toyota trucks and a Ford Elite. Only regular service and oil changes. I was also driving over 800 miles a week. If I am going to let it sit for more than two weeks I add Stabil to the fuel and run the engine (coach and gen) for ten minutes. I do use SeaFoam occassionally when I change oil. Don't know if it helps but I like the "warm fuzzy" also.

Charlie
Old 03-22-2006, 03:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I thought modern gasoline was formulated with fuel additives that included injector cleaner???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:54 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Music Man,
If your MH will be sitting for longer than two weeks it is highly recommended that a Fuel Stabilizer be added to the tank. I always do so just before topping off the tank. The drive from the gas station to the storage facility allows for the stabilizer to mix with the gasoline. As previously stated it is important that the generator be run under load for at least 10 minutes to allow the stabilized fuel to reach the entire system. In a very short time gasoline begins to breakdown as the volatiles evaporate. Keeping the tank full and adding the stabilizer help to eliminate this problem. No matter what, the generator should be run under load at least once a month.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote