Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel Pump Issue???

I have a 2008 Winne on the UFO (R26) Chassis with 70,000 miles. Pulled out of RV Park and drove 2.5 miles to the gas station. Shut off the motor and waited for the pumps to clear. Started up and drove up to the pump and shut it off. Filled up (60 gallons) and then no start. It turned over just fine but no start, it didn't even try and fire. After trying a few times to start it finally did. Drove home and shut if off and then it started right up like normal.

Just a fluke or am I looking at a failing fuel pump??

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Just a fluke or am I looking at a failing fuel pump??
UFO Pilot, As you know, I've been driving Workhorse since 2001. In my experience, what you are describing alludes to a failing fuel pump. You might want to go to a jobber and borrow a set of fuel pressure gauges. It'll directly attach to the port on your fuel rail. OF COURSE you'll need a tail gunner to sit with the gauge and observe the pressures.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #3

I installed a fuel gauge on my 2008 UFO and when I turn the key on it show's 60 or 61 PSI. Going down they road it has never dropped below 58.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21 Fuel Gauge.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	161757  
Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by olskool4x4 View Post
I installed a fuel gauge on my 2008 UFO and when I turn the key on it show's 60 or 61 PSI. Going down they road it has never dropped below 58.
That's a nice piece of gear!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #5

Sounds like a potential fuel pump issue to me as well. Some times you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime and pressure up the rail when the key is turned on. If the rail is already pressured up you may not here the pump cycle on. While the engine is running you can sometimes hear the fuel pump running in the tank. I mentally listen for it on all my GM vehicles. I've always been told if the pump whine gets loud it's a sign of the pump going out. Not sure how true that is but it seems to fit my experience years ago when one failed on a late model S10 of my daughters.

Quote:
That is a nice looking gauge. I've used Max Tow gauges in my Jeep and really like them.
Obviously your UFO is much different than my W24 but can you tell us where you installed the sending unit and where you mounted your gauge in the dash.

I would like to add Max Tow fuel pressure and tranny temp gauges to my Adventurer and am looking for ideas from others.

Sorry for the hyjack.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Sounds like a potential fuel pump issue to me as well. Some times you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime and pressure up the rail when the key is turned on. If the rail is already pressured up you may not here the pump cycle on. While the engine is running you can sometimes hear the fuel pump running in the tank. I mentally listen for it on all my GM vehicles. I've always been told if the pump whine gets loud it's a sign of the pump going out. Not sure how true that is but it seems to fit my experience years ago when one failed on a late model S10 of my daughters.

That is a nice looking gauge. I've used Max Tow gauges in my Jeep and really like them.
Obviously your UFO is much different than my W24 but can you tell us where you installed the sending unit and where you mounted your gauge in the dash.

I would like to add Max Tow fuel pressure and tranny temp gauges to my Adventurer and am looking for ideas from others.

Sorry for the hyjack.
I have the same fuel pressure gauge as Ol'skool, the Max Tow gauge mounts the fuel pressure rail, you take out the valve core and install the sending unit on top of it, then route your wires up to the dash, I have mine mounted on the left hand side using the bottom lip to mount the gauge, it will all depend on your dash, some have cut a hole and mounted it in the dash itself, it was just easier for me to mount it on the bottom dash lip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170206_162524.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	161814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170206_162520.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	161815  

Old 05-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If pressure exist while the engine is running could be pump relay, or leaky check valve, and/or regulator in the pump.

An external fuel line check valve can be added if needed between filter and fuel rail.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #8

Here's my picture, same as CJ above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	31 Fuel Gauge.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	161978  
Old 05-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Here's my picture, same as CJ above.
Thanks guys, the MaxTow gauges look good. I am planning a set of 3 right above the climate control knobs. Fuel Pressure and Tranny temp for sure. Trying to decide between Vacuum and Engine Oil Temp on the third one.

Good luck to the OP on his fuel pump issues. He hasn't been back in a while with an update.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't had any problems since the original incident. I don't want to replace the fuel pump on spec so I will wait to see if it acts up again.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I haven't had any problems since the original incident. I don't want to replace the fuel pump on spec so I will wait to see if it acts up again.
Roger that. If you have a chance, next time you go to start the motorhome stand by the driver side rear wheels and have your assistant turn the key on. You should here the fuel pump cycle on for about 2 seconds. Then have them crank the motor to start the engine. Once it's running you should be able to hear the fuel pump running with a faint whine coming from the tank. Get used to this sound if you aren't already used to what it sounds like. If this sounds gets louder or is already loud then you may soon experience additional fuel pump issues.

The noise the pump makes isn't a fool proof way to detect pending trouble but it is one of the signs that may give you a precursor to an upcoming fuel pump problem.

Good Luck and Happy Camping.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My tank is actually nearer the front as the engine is in the rear. I have never heard the fuel pump due to other noises but will attempt what you suggested.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #13

Oh heck. Forgot we were working with a UFO. My bad. Hahaha
Old 06-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wayne:

I had similar symptoms last year and after 3 fuel pump installs by dealer, they found that the Rear Chassis Control Module would go out in la la land. Took two weeks, a tow, and lots of small parts before Jon Brazel came to my rescue. Installed new module and things have been good since. Not that this is your problem, am just providing a new wrinkle to the intermittent no start.

Regards

Ron

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel