Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel Pump Removal

Ok,

I have begun to cut the hole in my floor to pull the fuel pump. I have measured twice and ready to cut. My hole wil not be under the bed as I thought. It is in the short hallway leading to back bedroom, right in front of bathroom door. So, I had to peal back carpet in bedroom and linoleum in the hallway. I have marked me out a 10"x10" sgaure to cut out. I drilled a small pilot hole just to see what I was up against. Once hole was "carefully" and "slowly" drilled, It was a layer of the plywood floor then about I guess 1/2" or so of "styrofoam" beads then thin piece of metal.
That is far as I got last night. Going to jump on the cutting the sqaure out tonight.
Has anyone else done this before and does this sound like I'm heading in the right direction? Any advice will be taken and appreciated. Thanks for all advice I have learned so far on this site.

Oh yeh, Finally receieved my new KONI shocks and can't wait to get them on and test drive. I will report on that also. One thing of a time.

Larry

RV info. 2002 Fleetwood Terra 31H, 52,000 miles, P32 chassis, 8.1 liter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezeman View Post
Ok,

I have begun to cut the hole in my floor to pull the fuel pump. I have measured twice and ready to cut. My hole wil not be under the bed as I thought. It is in the short hallway leading to back bedroom, right in front of bathroom door. So, I had to peal back carpet in bedroom and linoleum in the hallway. I have marked me out a 10"x10" sgaure to cut out. I drilled a small pilot hole just to see what I was up against. Once hole was "carefully" and "slowly" drilled, It was a layer of the plywood floor then about I guess 1/2" or so of "styrofoam" beads then thin piece of metal.
That is far as I got last night. Going to jump on the cutting the sqaure out tonight.
Has anyone else done this before and does this sound like I'm heading in the right direction? Any advice will be taken and appreciated. Thanks for all advice I have learned so far on this site.

Oh yeh, Finally receieved my new KONI shocks and can't wait to get them on and test drive. I will report on that also. One thing of a time.

Larry

RV info. 2002 Fleetwood Terra 31H, 52,000 miles, P32 chassis, 8.1 liter
Larry: I would caution against cutting the substrate materials in a square pattern. ROUND holes are less likely to crack, because there are no 90 degree corners from which the cracks will begin and radiate outward. I wish you luck and sucess as you hope to find "nothing" but the tank top and fuel pump below that "thin piece of metal".

Please come back to let us know what you find. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey edgray,

Thanks for response and idea on the circle hole.
Once I drilled the hole, I slipped a srewdriver down it and went under RV to check. I did see my srewdriver, so I know I'm good on that. There is actually about 8" from top of tank to bottom of floor (the thin piece of metal). I actually used that drill hole to narrow down exactly as to where to cut my "access panel" hole.
I was just sort of shocked to see the "styrofoam" beads between plywood and bottom metal layer. That should create quiet a mess, but thats minor compared to rest of job at hand.

Thanks again, I will keep you all updated.
Larry
Old 07-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK guys,

Change of plans.
Got my circle cut out of the plywood floor. Removed it only to uncover the water lines running to the bathtub and a metal stud exactly in the center of my hole, which would be directly above fuel pump.
So after moping and pouting about a big hole in my floor, I put it all back together and decided to drop fuel tank to get to pump.
Dropped fuel tank in about an hour & half by myself. (little tricky but got it) It also had about 15 gallons of gas in it which didn't help matters any. (with weight) Got fuels lines unhooked and tank out from under RV. Pulled pump and drained rest of gas out of tank. Inside of tank looked good, so just covered up holes and now I'm on mission to find a pump.
Will keep all posted as I continue this project.
Just wished I would have dropped tank first like I was wanting to from beginning.

OH WELL

Larry
Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #5

Larry: I feel your pain thru your post. Maybe you can still salvage some future use for that hole. While you've got the tank out of the way take a look to see what that "metal stud" is there for. Perhaps you can move it out of the pathway to the pump, just in case you ever do need to get to the pump after the tank is reinstalled.

I guess you just confirmed "no good deed goes unpunished" and that Murphey's law is still in effect.

Hope you get the new pump installed without additional problems. Please let us know how it all works out. ED
Old 07-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Breezeman, If your fuel tank is connected to the fuel lines with rubber hose, be sure and replace the hoses with a good grade fuel injection hose like Gates or Goodyear.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ED, The metal stud is the main floor joist for the plywood to lay on. And right in the center of the hole which is exactly centered above fuel pump is a "T" inersection of 2 metal studs. SO I really dont want to cut those out of the way as thse are some main joists. SO the plywood circle I cut out sits right back in hole pretty good. At least that was nice. Now I just have to repair my carpet and linoleum, although I have been thinking about putting down the wood laminate flooring. Good time for that, I guess. Funny how one project turns into 2 or 3 or 4 , etc.

Sammie, I have already removed all the rubber hoses and was planning on replacing them with new hose clamps also. Might as well. They are a little dry & brittle.

All I can do is keep my head up and finish the job with a smile.
I have some new KONI shocks I'm ready to install and try out.

Later all, keep thumbs crossed for me.

Larry
Old 07-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Just wished I would have dropped tank first like I was wanting to from beginning.
Larry, If you can keep someone else from replicating your efforts then it could have been worth the effort to rule it out. I hope we can get this hole in the floor concept behind us at this point.

If something is worth doing, it's worth doing properly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Larry you might want to take the old pump apart just for grins and look at the two filter screens inside. The primary on my 02 W-22 was 95% plugged, the secondary "limp mode", filter screen was about 10% plugged.
Carvin Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvin Marvin View Post
Larry you might want to take the old pump apart just for grins and look at the two filter screens inside. The primary on my 02 W-22 was 95% plugged, the secondary "limp mode", filter screen was about 10% plugged.
LARRY: while I'm sure the suggestion in bold above is well intended, I'm reminded of one of my favorite sayings: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I assume you want the new pump you are buying to remain as a spare.
ED
Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ED,

I believe I found one a NAPA today. Suppose to arrive Tuesday and will compare them side by side. I was actually going to go ahead and install the new pump in the tank since I have it apart. I'm not 100% sure my pump was completly bad. Just all the reading I have done here about these pumps going out, thought I would go ahead and swap it. I'm not afraid to go for a little preventive maintenace.

I actually may take old pump apart to check filters and just see how these things work.
Can't help it, I'm just one of those guys that ain't afraid to take something apart and "check it out".

After all, Think about this: $300 pump, few dollars in new hoses and clamps is cheaper than a tow bill plus the aggrevation of a breakdown with my family. (again)

Will keep all informed.

Larry
Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
ED,

I believe I found one a NAPA today. Suppose to arrive Tuesday and will compare them side by side. I was actually going to go ahead and install the new pump in the tank since I have it apart. I'm not 100% sure my pump was completly bad. Just all the reading I have done here about these pumps going out, thought I would go ahead and swap it. I'm not afraid to go for a little preventive maintenace.

I actually may take old pump apart to check filters and just see how these things work.
Can't help it, I'm just one of those guys that ain't afraid to take something apart and "check it out".

After all, Think about this: $300 pump, few dollars in new hoses and clamps is cheaper than a tow bill plus the aggrevation of a breakdown with my family. (again)

Will keep all informed.

Larry

Was there any part number/ casting numbers/ any numbers on the fuel pump you removed?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Carvin Marvin,

I pulled the pump out the the plastic housing and found the filter to be about 85% clogged. I was actuallly "happy" to see that. If that makes sense. I don't feel so bad about this whole tank removing/fuel pump removal "job". The "exposed" filter on the outside of pump still "looked" pretty clean. Although I can see that one staying pretty clean as the gas in the tank "sloshing" around back and forth on it. Thats my thinking on it anyways. For what its worth.

Scoutmstr,

I could not read the numbers on the old pump because of the undercoating overspray. I tried to clean it up but no luck. Picked up new pump today at NAPA.
I studied them pretty good side by side and they look exactly alike. I know looks are not everything but I feel comfortable using it. It is a Carter fuel pump and NAPA part #P74758M.

That is the same number on OEMYS website, so that makes me feel comfortable using it also. Probably wont get to installing until Saturday but will keep all informed.

Until then,
Larry
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
UPDATE

Got the new fuel pump installed in tank and tank replaced. Installed new fuel filter on frame rail. 3 trips to gas station with my (2)-5 gallons cans to get 30 gallons of gas in tank before I even started it. Got new KONI shocks installed. Went on short trip to try things out and so far, so good. Really wasn't that bad of a project after all.

Maybe now on next trip I will be a little less tense "waiting" on RV to shut down while going down the road. Of course, we all know anything can happen at anytime. I just hope its not "fuel pump" related anymore. I did notice the new fuel pump not "whining" as much as old one. Maybe thats because the filter on the old pump was 80-90% stopped up. Pump was working overtime. Just my guess.

Getting ready for my trip to Atlanta Motor Speedway for Labor Day "night" race. Hopefully, I will get in some more short trips before then. Until then, take care all.

Larry

"On the road again"