Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks.

I may have mine replaced when I have my PA state inspection done in April. They remove the wheels for inspection.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 127doug:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom N:
Does the dog house have to be removed to install this clip?? I have never had my dog house off and I hadn't planned to take it off.

I know how to get it off. I would rather it not ever come off because of the seal.

Um...if you are not sure how to get your doghouse cover off, you should take it to an official Workhorse Service Center for the recall... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also don't like removing my doghouse cover, the excellent fiberglass firewall that it is, I have enough leaks in my motorhome as it is! I simply removed my front tire to gain engine access through the access holes my manufacturer thoughtfully provided by not installing any kind of an inner fender to provide engine splash shielding when driving through puddles. Changing the clip was easy!

Do not do this unless you have and know how to use a torque wrench with a 475 ft-lb capability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUH??? YOU REMOVED YOUR FRONT TIRE instead of removing the doghouse cover???? LOL
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #31

HUH??? YOU REMOVED YOUR FRONT TIRE instead of removing the doghouse cover???? LOL [/QUOTE]

Yup, and if you owned a GulfStream, you would understand why you would not want to remove the doghouse cover unless absolutely necessary! Also, in the normal course of maintenance you should rotate the tires as specified in the Workhorse manual, so tire removal is not absurd. GulfStream and water leaks go together like a horse and carriage!

GulfStream took my coach away for 9 weeks (dealer promised 2 weeks) to fix some 18 minor problems, and failed to fix all but one of the problems. This left me afraid to ask for further warranty service.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 127doug:
I also don't like removing my doghouse cover, the excellent fiberglass firewall that it is, I have enough leaks in my motorhome as it is! I simply removed my front tire to gain engine access through the access holes my manufacturer thoughtfully provided by not installing any kind of an inner fender to provide engine splash shielding when driving through puddles. Changing the clip was easy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Changing the clip is not exactly the point. You need to have the campaign cleared by a service center so the safety recall can be shown as complete.

Regarding the absence of splash shields this maybe a blessing in disguise if it allows the engine to shed heat. Lots of folks have over heat conditions that are sometimes aggravated by body parts. At 53,000 miles I haven't had any issues with splash that have effected the performance of my motorhome. Your experience should be similar to mine.

Depending on the coach builder my doghouse is robust and well suited for removal as required to access to the engine compartment.

Closing ... I would also like to extend a warm greeting to you on this holiday and please do come back and visit us and post often. Thanks for choosing iRV2.com. In time you may want to include your motorhome information in your profile or signature file. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, changing the clip is exactly the point, because if the clip is defective and replacing it with the provided new clip prevents a catastropic failure, then I saved myself from the misadventures of manufacturing! You go figure the paperwork, I am capable of taking care of myself! Have a nice day!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You go figure the paperwork, I am capable of taking care of myself! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>127Doug, Quite to the contrary "you" will have to figure out the paperwork at some point or another or assign your responsibility to someone else if they buy your coach. The campaign won't show as being complete until you get it signed off my a service center. If you make an appointment and stop by and wait for your coach it should only take an hour at the most just to check or replace the clip you installed with a new clip.

Now just so that you know, by replacing the clip on your own "you" have modified the fuel system and at their discretion Workhorse may refuse to honor a warranty claim on your fuel system if a fuel leak should present at some time in the future. It's a poor situation to have to deal with for the lack of time to have the campaign cleared by a service center.

Workhorse realizes that sending out the clips to owner's has not exactly worked out to the intent of the accompanying documentation that came with the clip. The documentation clearly states to take the clip to a service center.

Choosing to replace the clip on your own does make you safer however it's contrary to the intent of the campaign that Workhorse implemented. The NHTSA is the governing party under the terms of the campaign so they are the administrator and they are the ones that have set the terms under which a campaign is considered accomplished and closed.

I would encourage you to have the recall completed by a service center.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:29 AM   #34

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I will have agree with DriVer on this issue. It is a LIABILITY issue. If you change the clip yourself and it fails for any reason you are responsible, not Workhorse, GM or the Workhores dealer that would have done the install.

Consider running down the I10 in west Texas at 100+ degrees and you have fuel rail failure. Remember, the rail is under 50 to 60 PSI and it will squirt a bunch of fuel out before you can even figure out that you have a fire and need to shut off the engine. Not worth it in my book.

Get'r done!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thankfully, I have a Workhorse repair center only 3 miles away and they stopped at the house and replaced the clip. Took 5 minutes.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r2dillon:
Took 5 minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Great post, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #37

I received new clip about three week's ago, since closest workhorse warranty center is 250 mi round trip, will change it my self.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blaster:
I received new clip about three week's ago, since closest workhorse warranty center is 250 mi round trip, will change it my self. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now just so that you know, by replacing the clip on your own "you" have modified the fuel system and at their discretion Workhorse may refuse to honor a warranty claim on your fuel system if a fuel leak should present at some time in the future. It's a poor situation to have to deal with for the lack of time to have the campaign cleared by a service center.

You can call 877-WHORSE1 to see if they can find a center closer to you.