Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #1

I'm trying to find out why, when fueling the coach, the gasoline pump shuts off after putting only 2-3 gallons in the tank. This first occurred in late April, after arriving in Alaska and parking for 7 days. I experienced it at 3 different times when driving to our jobs 135 miles north of Anchorage. We have not moved the coach for 4+ months since we got here. It might have been merely an anomaly caused by having the coach parked plus the cold temperature, but what if it isn't?

I disconnected the breather tube and ran a line through it. It seems clear until getting to the nipple at the gas tank. Is there some type of check valve or other block that would stop the line from making it to the tank? I have limited mechanical skill but would appreciate any thoughts about what else I can/should do. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #2

I'm trying to find out why, when fueling the coach, the gasoline pump shuts off after putting only 2-3 gallons in the tank. This first occurred in late April, after arriving in Alaska and parking for 7 days. I experienced it at 3 different times when driving to our jobs 135 miles north of Anchorage. We have not moved the coach for 4+ months since we got here. It might have been merely an anomaly caused by having the coach parked plus the cold temperature, but what if it isn't?

I disconnected the breather tube and ran a line through it. It seems clear until getting to the nipple at the gas tank. Is there some type of check valve or other block that would stop the line from making it to the tank? I have limited mechanical skill but would appreciate any thoughts about what else I can/should do. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Not knowing where your filler tube is located and/or ran all I can tell you is about mine. I have a Dolphin and National ran a long filler tube from the back end of the motorhome (which I like) to the tank. It is ran somewhat downhill but depending on how you pull up to the gas dispenser it has a habbit of backing up real quick and shutting off the hose. I have to fill very slowly and I try to have the front end down a bit to make it easier. It's just the way the coach builder ran the filler tube.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had this occur at certain filling station dispensers with any/all of my vehicles. So I am of the opinion that the dispenser(s) may be set too sensitive. Most times at various filling stations I do not have any problems except those certain ones. Arco is the only one that I can remember right now. And not all Arcos do this.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Paul,
Try going under the MH were the gas enters the body. There is a large & small tube that lead from the filler neck to the tank. Make sure the small tube is higher than the large tube. Some tubes are secured with clamps which hold the tubes side by side. Loosen the clamps and move the tube to hold the small tube higher. Also check to see if a spider has built a nest in the small tube openning at the filler pipe. You can stick a coat hanger into the vent to clean out any webs. Make sure you leave a big hook on the hanger that you are holding on to so the hanger doesn't slide all the way into the tube.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #6

Ditto what Belgian said we,ve had the same trouble filling since we bought the year old MH in'04. This week I crawled under the MH and moved the small vent tube on top of the filler tube. Filled up and it took 30 gal. at the fastest speed on the pump and did not cut off until full. Like night and day from the old operation, I might have been able to run the pump at the slowest speed if I was level or front down. Hope this works for you Richard
Saw this on a thread on Open Roads Forum. R
Old 09-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #7

Some of the Box builder's relocate the filler tub from what the chassis builder has set up. Our is a side fill with no problem.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had this problem with my 98 Sea View. I always raised the rear up on the jacks to fill up, but so far it hasn't been a problem with the 06 Sea Breeze.

Glenn