RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas gauge

we are on the road,going down I-75 all of A sudden the gas gauge went from full ( we had filled up a little while ago) to Empty kind of made A buzzing noise than went back to full. Only done it once. any ideas would be appreciated.
Floyd

Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #2

There were issues with the fuel gauges in the 97-04 Corvette where this would happen. Turned out to be sulphur in the fuel was screwing up the contacts in the tank (as I recall). Solution if you got to it right away was a couple of bottles of Techtron for a much smaller tank than your chassis. Top Tier fuel requirements aided with this issue. Not sure if this is what you have going on, but worth filing away for future reference.

Your situation sounds like an electrical issue. Could be a wire or the instrument panel itself. I had my Actia instrument panel fixed due to a bad LED, but they also reflowed some of the solder to fix “known” issues. Not sure what those issues are, but it could conceivably be the fuel gauge.

Probably didn’t provide much help, but at least some food for thought.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check the fuel float level unit where it is attached to the fuel tank. It may be accessible through the round (assuming you have one) hole in the passenger side forward cargo bin. It is a round plastic plug like the one for routing the holding tank dump hose. Just screw off the plug and there should be a view of the tank just inside the hole. The fuel float sending unit has, I think, 5 bolts that hold the sending unit in place.
Disconnect the quick disconnect with two wires and clean that with contact cleaner. Check the tightness of each of the 5 bolts. You may be loosing the ground to the fuel system. Easy to check and correct if that is the problem. Just tighten the bolts, that is where it is grounded.

Another possibility, the Tell-Tale panel on the instrument cluster may be getting faulty. It is the rectangular part on the panel that has all of the icons for all sorts of things like warning, cautions, etc. Turn signals, seatbelt lights, low fuel, etc. I think there are 16 different things that are monitored on the T-T panel. The fix for that is to replace the T-T panel. That is assuming again that you have that system.

The buzzer that you heard is the red low fuel monitor. When the gauge goes to E, a red light comes on in the fuel gauge and a buzzer sounds. When the fuel gauge goes back up to normal, the warning goes away.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd2u View Post
we are on the road,going down I-75 all of A sudden the gas gauge went from full ( we had filled up a little while ago) to Empty kind of made A buzzing noise than went back to full. Only done it once. any ideas would be appreciated.
Floyd
IMO, you have nothing to worry about. This issue has been reported numerous times over the years and WCC said it was most likely caused by "a data overload" and was simply the cluster computer "resetting" itself.

Most of us also noticed ALL of the gauges fluctuate and heard a "ding", not a buzzing sound as you did when this "reset" occurred. WCC said it was harmless and did nothing unless it happened very frequently and became annoying.

MAYBE the buzzing sound is a symptom of the gauge stepper motor going bad, I really don't know, but I would not worry about that either, until it happens more frequently, because I'm a firm believer in "don't fix what ain't broke".
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
Check the fuel float level unit where it is attached to the fuel tank......
The OP has a Workhorse GASSER, and the fuel float is part of the fuel pump, only accessible by dropping the tank and removing the pump assembly.
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
My 2004 did the very same thing today . Only difference than usual is I filled up with non ethanol this time. About 200 miles into this tank when it happened
Old 10-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #7

Mine, for the first time in one year did it yesterday as well.

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Edgray has it right. Not to worry, this problem with the Workhorse Actia instrument cluster has been around for years.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now it did it twice both time after A fill up.
kind of crazy other people are having the same thing all of A sudden LOL

F
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has done this from day 1, 16 years ago. Does it at least once about every other day while we traveled. Our Actia panel has been replaced 3 times over the years for other issues but none of the replacements resulted in correction of this problem.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #11

I had the same thing happen in my '03 GMC 1500 pickup and was never able to pinpoint the exact cause. I haven't noticed it in my '04 Itasca Sunrise but my wife's uncle (from whom we bought the motor home) once said that he "wouldn't trust the gas gauge" but couldn't elaborate. My guess is that it does the same thing from time to time.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:43 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems to happen to us every trip at least once. If I remember correctly the seat belt alarm also alarms for its cycle. And yes, all the gauges bounce to zero and back in an instant. No effect on driving.
Volunteers USFWS. 8000 hrs each, 25 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #13

The seat belt alarm as well as low fuel alarm sound when the gages touch zero. First time is a bit disconcerting, and then later it becomes a "HaRumph. You again"
Not worth the effort to trouble shoot for me because it happens once a year.
Stan

Tags
gas