Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Like said, even the filler tube issue can be overcome by venting the evac collar on the pump handle...just like a pea-trap or goose neck in drain plumbing, the gas will flow through the low spot. You just have to take your time

Best to get it fixed.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Have this issue with our '87 F250 diesel 4 x 4..
Got a 4x6 about 16" long, cut the ends to make ramps , then just drive up on it, leaning the rig away from the fill tube, solved the problem of tank/fill tube not fully venting while filling.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:44 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hold the gas nozzle at a 45 degree angle and don't lock the fell lever. This allows you to vary the rate of flow without it shutting off. Works for me every time, including at Flying J's which are terrible about shutting off.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My last RV, a '88 Jamboree Class C, had a filler tube that was quite long and ran along the underneath side of the floor. It occasionally gave me problems if the station caused me to face uphill (fuel cap at rear of coach), but it usually wasn't too bad. At one point however, it started to be almost impossible to fuel up, even when facing downhill. I crawled underneath, and realized that the vent hose had come loose at one point and was sagging well below the fill hose. Fixed that and it solved the issue.

BUT...my wife's '06 Tahoe has the issue, and it has proven to be impossible to solve. Once in a blue moon, we happen across a pump that will work with no problems, but most times it is a nightmare to fill up. Cause? 2 things: #1 is that we are in CA, and the vapor recovery nozzles in this state are extremely overzealous in trying to eliminate gasoline fumes (that is why many RVers have issues fueling in CA but not in other states). But #2 is that the Tahoe's fuel filler hose from the cap to the tank is just 1" diameter!!!! With a strong fuel pump flow, a strong vacuum (for the vapor recovery nozzle), and just a 1" diameter hose... no way. :( I've tried every possible combination of angle/holding the collar back/cussing in swahili... no dice. If I insert the nozzle about halfway, upside down, pull the collar back for about 1/2" gap at the top (not the bottom!), and reduce the flow to about 1/2 normal...I can eventually get the tank filled with it only clicking off 5-6 times!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:03 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Try shaking the car sideways when fueling ... see if that helps.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Like said, even the filler tube issue can be overcome by venting the evac collar on the pump handle...just like a pea-trap or goose neck in drain plumbing, the gas will flow through the low spot. You just have to take your time

Best to get it fixed.
I've only seen the Evac collars in urban NY. They may also be used in CA, but nowhere else, I've seen, east of the Mississippi.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #21

do rv's have evap purge solenoids? I've seen those on cars cause this issue.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #22

Gas Station Pump Continually Clicks Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
do rv's have evap purge solenoids? I've seen those on cars cause this issue.

Orion is correct the problem is in the EVAP system it is probably a line plugged or a solenoid not working common problem on today's vehicles. Gas tank vent gasses to to the EVAP System and it is to redirect them back to the tank and to the Engine.
noice74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #23
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours also does this about every third fill up and it means standing in the cold holding the handle so it just trickles in to the tank. It only happens on cold windy days.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This group is the best!!

I followed everyone's advice, took out the uphill spots out of the filler tube and the vent tube as best as possible. The vent tube was full of gas.

Went and gasser her up this morning. No problems. Could fill wide open and did not click off.

Thanks to all.

Ken
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernst52 View Post
I followed everyone's advice, took out the uphill spots out of the filler tube and the vent tube as best as possible. The vent tube was full of gas.

Went and gasser her up this morning. No problems. Could fill wide open and did not click off.

Thanks to all.

Ken
I just love it when someone gets back to the group. Thanks!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I have a hard time too at time filling my 05 Dolphin and it appears there is very little slope on the filler tube. I thought of dropping the rear jacks and just raise it up a inch or so to see if it helps.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The vent tube was full of gas.

Ken
And that was the key. Keep the vent tube up and "empty" and the fuel should flow. Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I have a hard time too at time filling my 05 Dolphin and it appears there is very little slope on the filler tube. I thought of dropping the rear jacks and just raise it up a inch or so to see if it helps.
That can help, but make sure you take a look at the vent hose as well, as Ken discovered.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Thanks to all.

Ken
Thanks for letting us know what cured it.

I run through Tehachapi couple times a year, usually fill up at the Texaco by Denny's. Where do you buy your gas?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas