Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gasoline Smell Strong

After the engine has run for a few minutes and I turn it off or after a short trip. When I walk to the rear of the coach I smell gasoline fumes. The exhaust is on the left side of the coach at the rear of the generator compartment. I smelled the gas cap but no fumes. I can also smell it inside the coach from time to time. I looked under the coach but didn't see any obvious gas leaks. The exhaust pipe did smell alittle strong. The coach is a 2004 Southwind 32VS, workhorse chassis, W22 with approx 26,000 miles.

Thanks.
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #2

Possible that you have fumes leaking from a evaporative emission hose that hasn't triggered a check engine light because of the length of trips.
The engine must be running for a certain length of time for the system to do a Evap. system check.
When was the last time the coach was on the road for over an hour non-stop?
Is the smell apparent , no matter what the fuel level in the tank ?
Or have you not added fuel any time lately ?
Current fuel level?
You may have to examine every hose in fuel & Evap. system up close or have a shop run a test on the system to find the leak.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suggest you also check the fuel line that feeds the generator for aging or cracks. That line was a source of gas odor as well as
leakage and generator issues.

I discovered my generator line leaking when topping off the tank more than I should have. The cracked line was weak enough to spurt raw gas onto the ground.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel leak

In addition to the flex fuel hose, check the Onan fuel filter. I had a filter before the pump and identical after the fuel pump. the one after the pump started leaking at the metal crimping. I went to replace the leaking filter only to find out that they eliminated the second filter. Makes sense. They had a straight pipe for about $22.00. I fabricated my own for about $0.00. the above may or may not be your problem. Just another item to check. John
John350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was a recall on some of the Workhorse chassis in regard to replacing a plug on the gas tank. Mine was replaced under the recall. Cant remember the campaign number or which VINs, but someone may have that nformation.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like I need a new fuel pump because the top center prong where the hoses are attached is squirting gas up at the bottom of the MH when the engine is running. That is the source of my gasoline smell. I could have blown my self up.

Ordered new fuel pump and hope to have it installed ASAP.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Yikes!!

Good thing you found that, or it could have gotten real ugly!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
May just be a fuel line quick disconnect fitting that slips onto the pump port. But if the tank needs dropping, good opportunity to replace any rubber type fuel lines such as may be the case for the generator.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curious what the cost will be.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John350 View Post
In addition to the flex fuel hose, check the Onan fuel filter. I had a filter before the pump and identical after the fuel pump. the one after the pump started leaking at the metal crimping. I went to replace the leaking filter only to find out that they eliminated the second filter. Makes sense. They had a straight pipe for about $22.00. I fabricated my own for about $0.00. the above may or may not be your problem. Just another item to check. John
I had the same identical problem.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Going to pump gas out and drop the tank today. Anything special I need to know about tank removal. It is on a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind. Are the hoses long enough to drop tank to the ground? Do the pump ports just quick connect and disconnect ?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #12

I'm sure the hoses aren't long enough to reach the ground, they never were on Dodge vehicles , you'll need to figure a way to drop the tank slowly on an angle so you can look over the top, and release the connectors to disconnect all the lines.
If you can get the fuel out the tanks aren't too heavy , just awkward, but if you can't get someone under the coach to help you , then have a couple of stacks of lumber under the tank, so that you can remove a board at a time to lower the tank slowly.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
When you get the tank down, check the spot welds carefully for stress cracks. It's been a fairly common problem to get a very slight crack that's hard to see but will let gas wick out. The spot welds are on the sides and hold internal baffles in place. There's 3 or 4 baffles and several spot welds on each end

My 2004 W22 had a leak I could smell for months but could not locate until it grew and left a wet spot on the side of the tank. Luckily mine was still under emissions warranty and tank was replaced no charge to me.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Couldn't get gas out of tank. Gave up and took coach to shop. They are dropping the tank and replacing fuel pump and hoses to stop my fuel leak at the pump port. Hate to see cost.

Tags
smell, gas