Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

Gauges not reading!

After getting back from Florida for the winter last week. I went out to start the coach today, no turn over. I jumped the coach off a spare battery I had in the garage and bingo, it started right up! Looked down at my gauges and nothing reading on them, but 0.
I know the previous owner had the gauges replaced once under a recall. Could this of happened again? Any ideas please! (Its on a Workhorse chassis)

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #2

i have the over 8000 page PDF file for this for the 2003 may have some info in it to help just PM me and we can find a way to send it to you

its 480MB
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #3

after you have fully recharged the installed chassis battery, I suggest you try turning the key to the "on" position and WAITING until the beeping stops before moving the key to the start position. I'm betting you'll find everything is back to normal.

If your coach has a battery disconnect switch, I recommend using it when you park / store the coach, OR keep it plugged in to shore power. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The recall was for a communication issue concerning ABS warnings. There have been a lot of problems with the Actia displays. These guys re-manufacture some of the displays. BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, MFD and catalytic converters There have been some erroneous postings about recalls and/or service bulletins but I have never seen any and have never been notified about any. RECALL INFO 50402-C Defect Summary: CERTAIN CLASS A MOTOR HOMES BUILT ON WORKHORSE CHASSIS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) NO. 101, "CONTROLS AND DISPLAY" AND STANDARD NO. 105 "HYDRAULIC AND ELECTRIC BRAKE SYSTEMS." MODELS WITH ACTIA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, THE INCORRECT SOFTWARE PROGRAMMED INTO THE CLUSTER SUCH THAT CERTAIN WARNINGS ARE NOT DISPLAYED. Consequence Summary: INCORRECT SOFTWARE MAY NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO ILLUMINATE WARNING LAMPS INDICATING BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURES. THE STANDARDS REQUIRE DRIVER WARNING WHEN BRAKE FAILURE CODES ARE SET. Corrective Summary: WORKHORSE IS CONDUCTING THE OWNER NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 1-877-294-6773 .
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
after you have fully recharged the installed chassis battery, I suggest you try turning the key to the "on" position and WAITING until the beeping stops before moving the key to the start position. I'm betting you'll find everything is back to normal.

If your coach has a battery disconnect switch, I recommend using it when you park / store the coach, OR keep it plugged in to shore power. Ed
OK, had my 18 month old Interstate battery recharged at a service center this morning. The battery checked out ok after recharging! Reinstalled the battery and everything is back to normal except for one thing. I can not get the aux. battery disconnect light to turn off!
Any ideas on this problem?

Stano
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
OK, had my 18 month old Interstate battery recharged at a service center this morning.......Reinstalled the battery and everything is back to normal except for one thing. I can not get the aux. battery disconnect light to turn off!
Any ideas on this problem
?

Stano
Since I'm not sure what that switch is supposed to do, I'd rather not speculate. However, you could try manually disconnecting the house batteries and see if that helps. Ed
Old 04-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
The recall was for a communication issue concerning ABS warnings. .....[ it said]....... Recall 50402-C Defect Summary: CERTAIN CLASS A MOTOR HOMES BUILT ON WORKHORSE CHASSIS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD (FMVSS) NO. 101, "CONTROLS AND DISPLAY" AND STANDARD NO. 105 "HYDRAULIC AND ELECTRIC BRAKE SYSTEMS." MODELS WITH ACTIA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, THE INCORRECT SOFTWARE PROGRAMMED INTO THE CLUSTER SUCH THAT CERTAIN WARNINGS ARE NOT DISPLAYED. Consequence Summary: INCORRECT SOFTWARE MAY NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO ILLUMINATE WARNING LAMPS INDICATING BRAKE SYSTEM FAILURES. THE STANDARDS REQUIRE DRIVER WARNING WHEN BRAKE FAILURE CODES ARE SET. Corrective Summary: WORKHORSE IS CONDUCTING THE OWNER NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. OWNERS MAY CONTACT WORKHORSE AT 1-877-294-6773 .
CORRECT! In short, it was a recall to reflash the software to insure the ABS light would come ON as it was designed to do. There has never been a recall to REPLACE the entire Actia IP "cluster".
Ed
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Since I'm not sure what that switch is supposed to do, I'd rather not speculate. However, you could try manually disconnecting the house batteries and see if that helps. Ed
My Fleetwood came with battery disconnect switches (Aux. & main) from the factory when new. I had them repaired 18 months ago at the dealer. The Aux. switch is not turning off. Any ideas?

Stano
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
My Fleetwood came with battery disconnect switches (Aux. & main) from the factory when new. I had them repaired 18 months ago at the dealer. The Aux. switch is not turning off. Any ideas?

Stano
Since I still don't know which battery is "AUX" and which is "main", I'm not sure I can help. Not sure what you mean by "switch is not turning off".

However, if the purpose of the non-working switch is to dis-connect the battery from its loads, then you can always accomplish THAT by removing the + battery cable from the battery terminal manually. Not very convenient, but that "should" prevent the battery from going dead while coach is in storage.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
There has never been a recall to REPLACE the entire Actia IP "cluster".
Ed
Ed, there was a recall or campaign from Workhorse to replace the Actia instrument cluster. The campaign number was 50402-C. I had my cluster replaced on April 7, 2005 and May 3, 2006 at no charge. Never had a problem since the second time other then the gauges going to zero for a few seconds from time-to-time. The campaign was for the disappearing numbers on the LCD display.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennersonf View Post
Ed, there was a recall or campaign from Workhorse to replace the Actia instrument cluster. The campaign number was 50402-C. I had my cluster replaced on April 7, 2005 and May 3, 2006 at no charge. Never had a problem since the second time other then the gauges going to zero for a few seconds from time-to-time. The campaign was for the disappearing numbers on the LCD display.
Sorry Fred, but you are mistaken. I'm not picking on you-just trying to keep the facts about WCC history straight here.

In post #4 above, CLAY L posted the exact wording of that recall and it is NOT to replace the cluster, but rather was a recall to fix a software issue regarding the failure of the ABS warning lights not illuminating when they should.

I'm not saying your dealer wasn't able to get your entire cluster replaced for free -good for you- but it was not due to the RECALL. Perhaps they had to replace yours because it would not accept the recall's software fix, or for some other reason, I really don't know.

WCC never recalled any Actia clusters because of the pixel failures in the LCD, even though many of us think they should have. AFAIK, they didn't even issue a "customer satisfaction" campaign to universally replace all the bad clusters Actia provided.

I'm guessing the second replacement cluster you got came with the orange background LCD, which was much more readable than the former grey background. As I'm sure you know, the beeping and gauges going to zero is a harmless reset-annoying, but harmless.
Ed