RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

Gave the Itasca a Tune Up

It was time to give the Itasca a tune up. The old girl has 42,000 miles on it. It was running plenty good but I wanted to give it some fresh plugs and wires to see how it responded.

Popped the dog house off and access to the plugs and wires was super easy. All the old wires came off pretty easy. All the plugs came out super easy.

I got a new set of UltraPower Magnum plug wires and some fresh Iridium spark plugs from Jon at Ultra RV Products. Install was simple, took just over an hour total.

The old plugs looked fairly decent. Gap had increased to about .065. Overall not bad condition for +40,000 miles.

AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

As soon as I started it up I could sense an immediate difference. I still had the dog house off and the motor was rock solid and smooth at idle. Not even the slightest vibration. Idle was steady at about 795RPM on the scan gauge. A blip of the throttle revealed smooth spool up followed by a nice landing back at 800RPM's. No hunting and searching for idle like the original plugs and wires did.

We are headed out today to go camping and jeeping for the weekend. I can immediately tell the motor is running better. I'm eager to see if I can tell the difference once we get out on the road.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:10 PM   #3

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I have 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on our rig now, so interested to hear if or how much of a difference you get.
I have put the complete Banks system on ours, but still have original plugs and wires. Haven't got a good read on improved power/mileage yet, but planning some longer trips later this year. Seat-of-pants it feels stronger though.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on our rig now, so interested to hear if or how much of a difference you get.
I have put the complete Banks system on ours, but still have original plugs and wires. Haven't got a good read on improved power/mileage yet, but planning some longer trips later this year. Seat-of-pants it feels stronger though.
Happy Glamping.
Nice.

The Itasca has a Banks Cold Air Intake and a Throttle Body Spacer. It runs very good. I just ordered the Ultra Tune ECM and TCM from Jon today. I am testing the plugs and wires this weekend and will install the tune next week.

We have a 900 mile trip planned for next weekend. Going with my brother and his wife. My brother has a 2016 Class C with a 5 Star tuned V10. It runs good. We will see if the 8.1 can keep up. I outweigh him by about 7000lbs. A couple of 2500' climbs along the way. Should be an interesting test.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #5

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
We are headed out this afternoon after my wife gets off work at 3:00. Going to a lake that's about 2500 feet higher than us, so will have a pull too, just a little lighter with only the bicycles this trip. Only 2 nights with a bunch of OR nurses and spouses. Mostly eating and drinking with a few cycle rides in between.
Not sure the cat is too ready to go though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170728_102554.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	538.7 KB
ID:	170508  
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Nice.

The Itasca has a Banks Cold Air Intake and a Throttle Body Spacer. It runs very good. I just ordered the Ultra Tune ECM and TCM from Jon today. I am testing the plugs and wires this weekend and will install the tune next week.

We have a 900 mile trip planned for next weekend. Going with my brother and his wife. My brother has a 2016 Class C with a 5 Star tuned V10. It runs good. We will see if the 8.1 can keep up. I outweigh him by about 7000lbs. A couple of 2500' climbs along the way. Should be an interesting test.
I have the Ultra tune and am very happy with it, but 7000lb extra weight against the 365hp 3 valve V-10 is a lot to ask. Me thinks you need a supercharger
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
We are headed out this afternoon after my wife gets off work at 3:00. Going to a lake that's about 2500 feet higher than us, so will have a pull too, just a little lighter with only the bicycles this trip. Only 2 nights with a bunch of OR nurses and spouses. Mostly eating and drinking with a few cycle rides in between.
Not sure the cat is too ready to go though!
Great looking coach UP. I still think the 38J is one of Winnebago's best floorplans ever. The proximity of the water heater to all the hot water users is brilliant. You don't wait for even 3 seconds for hot water to show up in the kitchen or shower. This really saves on water usage and gray water storage.

We love our 38J. Can't wait till later this year when we will finally get a chance to get back down to it.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I have the Ultra tune and am very happy with it, but 7000lb extra weight against the 365hp 3 valve V-10 is a lot to ask. Me thinks you need a supercharger
Yea, I've been looking at a turbo for the 8.1. It's about the cheapest HP around.

I think the Class C V-10's are rated at around 305HP stock. With his tune it's up around 365HP. Obviously a stock 8.1 hauling an extra 7000lbs is no match for a tuned V-10 but I'm amazed how close they actually are.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #9

As hot as the engine Bay of an 8.1 gets wouldn't a turbo make it much hotter just wondering. Thanks
Old 07-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #10

I had a V10 MH (note the word 'had')....it seemed to get more hot than our Workhorse/GM 8100. Another factor in the dog house/engine bay is that some MH designs leave too little of an area to get rid of the heat. I have seen some comments lamenting that problem attributed to some earlier Winnebago products.

Getting rid of those heat retaining cast iron exhaust manifolds and replacing with Banks stainless steel headers helps reduce the heat buildup.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #11

Hey thanks I'll look at that in a year or so cost is up there for the headers. I added a couple of ducts from under the front cap with house AC vents helps some and was easy to do followed the plans on Oemy
Old 07-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm gonna make a suggestion, clean the MAF and put in a new air filter.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Hey thanks I'll look at that in a year or so cost is up there for the headers. I added a couple of ducts from under the front cap with house AC vents helps some and was easy to do followed the plans on Oemy
Yes, that mod should help..good idea! Just a FYI....when one of those cast iron manifolds develop a crack (you will hear the pufft, pufft) just ONE manifold will run you just under $1000 + installation. Not much more for the Banks headers. Mine cost about $1200....I bought just the headers, not the entire "Stinger" system. The dual exhausts standard on the W22/24 seem to be quite efficient.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm gonna make a suggestion, clean the MAF and put in a new air filter.

Good call Arch. I have the cold air intake with a big round K&N filter. I clean and service the air cleaner regularly. Every 3000 miles or so depending on the roads we travel. I clean he MAF at the same time as its right there next to the filter. My MAF is rarely dirty but i take a moment, pull it off and clean it anyway.

So i can definitely feel the motor is running better. It ran good before but it is noticeably smoother and pulls harder under load.

Im pulling a pretty big load this weekend and there are a few short hills coming out of town. We had no problem pulling right up to 60mph going up hill.

I just installed a ScanGauge II as well. It works very good. Lots of stuff to monitor now. Yesterday I selected engine HP as one of the monitoring points. On one of the bigger hills pulling out of town I stood on it for about 60 seconds and let the motor pull through the gears. The scangauge measured max HP at 342 before shifting to the next gear. I dont know what the gauge would have measured before but it sure seemed like we had more power pulling the hill.

Big thanks to Jon at Ultra RV Products. Great prices on super nice parts and the shipping was immediate. My boxes took only 2 days to get to Alaska from Seattle.

Tags
itasca