RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Georgia service place for workhorse chassis

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer with a Workhorse Chassis. I recently developed a leaking grease seal on the rear axle. We live outside of Carrollton, Georgia and a reputable mobile repairman suggested I use Triangle Fleet Repair in Carrollton. I took the coach there and they stayed in touch w/me as they repaired the axle leak. They called me to advise the bearings on the leaking side were galled and defective.

They suggested the bearings on the other side should be evaluated. Well, they were galled also. Fortunately, the rear end gears were not damaged.

These folks saved us from a breakdown on the road!

They also found an exhaust leak and repaired it.

I had them grease the chassis. I was told it appeared this was the 1ST time it had been lubricated. I also had them change out the fuel filter.

In addition I had them install a 6-pin connection for towing a tow dolly. They did a great job and put the wires in a loom.

I will take the MH back to them for transmission service when the coach hits 25,000 miles on the clock & a tune up. It currently has 23,600 miles and was neglected by the 2 previous owners. They just simply didn't do the preventative care.

I feel these guys know their way around this chassis. I will be trusting it's maintenance to them, because at 74 y.o. I'm too old to do it.

I just thought I would share my experience with these follks should someone in my area need to service their MH. These folks are pros and honest. They keep you informed of the repairs and document it on the final billl. There are no surprises!

georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's nice to find a place you can trust. I too have a good Workhorse dealer and consider myself lucky. I had my rear driver's side seal replaced about 10 years ago.

On your Allison 1000 transmission....it came with Dexron iii and was supposed to be changed every 25,000 miles or two years along with the spin on oil filter it uses. That filter should have been changed after the first 5,000 miles.

I change all my fluids myself and got tired of changing transmission fluid. It actually requires draining the transmission, filling it and then running it for about 20 miles and then drain it again.

That's because it holds about 13 quarts and only about 11 quarts drain out...torque converter holds the res

Two years ago I switched to Allison's recommended Transynd fluid which will go many years and miles between changes. I'm 74 too and tired of crawling around under there like you said.

I suggest you switch to Transynd and do NOT have a power flush done. Allison says do not do a power flush. Also have the spin-on transmission filter changed. It will require two changes of fluid to get you completly converted to Transynd.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Fluid change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
It's nice to find a place you can trust. I too have a good Workhorse dealer and consider myself lucky. I had my rear driver's side seal replaced about 10 years ago.

On your Allison 1000 transmission....it came with Dexron iii and was supposed to be changed every 25,000 miles or two years along with the spin on oil filter it uses. That filter should have been changed after the first 5,000 miles.

I change all my fluids myself and got tired of changing transmission fluid. It actually requires draining the transmission, filling it and then running it for about 20 miles and then drain it again.

That's because it holds about 13 quarts and only about 11 quarts drain out...torque converter holds the res

Two years ago I switched to Allison's recommended Transynd fluid which will go many years and miles between changes. I'm 74 too and tired of crawling around under there like you said.

I suggest you switch to Transynd and do NOT have a power flush done. Allison says do not do a power flush. Also have the spin-on transmission filter changed. It will require two changes of fluid to get you completly converted to Transynd.

Arch --- Thank you very much for the valuable information. I wasn't aware of the transynd fluid, but will use it. I will tell them NO power flush. This shop does a lot commercial work on large, heavy trucks, so they are aware of big stuff.

Age is slowing me down. I wasn't aware of the changes associated w/aging. Boy does it ever slow me down -- esp. the "ritis" brothers. I now only do the "fun" easier work on stuff here and rely more on others for repairs.

I am a firm believer in taking care of our rolling stock. If you take care of it, then it will take care of you. I doubt the 1ST transmission oil change was ever done. They have caused me to deal w/the maintenance items these previous knuckleheads failed to do.
georgebonord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, chassis, service, workhorse, workhorse chassis