Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #1

I recently read this article. Basically it states that a "Change Engine Oil" light comes on to indicate the need for an oil change.

"Over 97 percent of GM vehicles sold in U.S. are equipped with the GM Oil Life System. The system itself uses an algorithm that tracks engine revolutions and temperature and predicts oil life based on these parameters and driver use. Equipped with the GM Oil Life System, the average GM vehicle typically needs oil changes half as often as the 3,000 mile recommendation."

Does the 8.1 engine in the Workhorse chassis have this system?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #2

I recently read this article. Basically it states that a "Change Engine Oil" light comes on to indicate the need for an oil change.

"Over 97 percent of GM vehicles sold in U.S. are equipped with the GM Oil Life System. The system itself uses an algorithm that tracks engine revolutions and temperature and predicts oil life based on these parameters and driver use. Equipped with the GM Oil Life System, the average GM vehicle typically needs oil changes half as often as the 3,000 mile recommendation."

Does the 8.1 engine in the Workhorse chassis have this system?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Even if it did, I would never let my motorhome engine go over 3000 miles without a change. Even with synthetic oil. An engine in a motorhome is always under sever driving conditions and 3000 is the change interval for sever driving conditions.

The change oil light in my Saturn has never come on. I always change the oil at 3000 miles and hit the reset button. It's just cheap insurance.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does the 8.1 engine in the Workhorse chassis have this system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
YES, I believe it does NOW, however this feature may not have been "turned on" in the early years. My 03 has posted "change engine oil" in the LCD of the IP "once" when I forgot to reset the system after changing my oil. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I am not sure when the system went live, however my 2005 has it.

This is GM take Oil Life System

GM's Environmental Commitment

I guess you can draw your own conclusions, however if GM warrants their engines for 100,000 miles using this system, it can't be all bad.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Full-Timers,

Horse feathers... 3k oil changes are old hat. With todays modern oils, GM OLM and oil testing there is no reason to change at 3k just because. I have 2 Blackstone Lab reports on 5k and 4k oil change that shows 3.9 and 4.6 TBN (Total Base Number) out of 8. In other words there was almost 50% of the additive package left and I could have run the oil probably at least 2k or 3k more miles.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #7

Fred,

The GM OLM system is alive and well inside the 8.1L ECM. I checked this out when I left Texas for Myrtle Beach with my new Scan Gauge II. It showed I have 41% left. On my return to Texas it showed I had 25% left. I changed oil, did the oil change reset,then checked the OLM with the Scan Gauge and it showed 100%. Now, the big mystery is, does the Acita cluster software properly report this?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know Dale, it will be interesting to know what model year this feature became available.

Obviously GM was "transmitting" the information whether or not the IP used the info.

Fred
Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way.. My 2005 Intruder (Chassis built aug 2004 and a 2005 vin) does
Old 11-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #10

OLM has been around since about 1999... I would suspect that it is on ALL 8.1L's.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have made two calls to Workhorse customer service about this and got the same answer both times. "No the Actia IP does not report the oil life info."
It simply uses miles traveled. As I recall the trigger point was 7000 miles.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:
I have made two calls to Workhorse customer service about this and got the same answer both times. "No the Actia IP does not report the oil life info."
It simply uses miles traveled. As I recall the trigger point was 7000 miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clay, yes the IP reminder is "Miles" driven, however the actual "Oil Life Remaining" info is available on the IP menu drill-downs, at least starting with the '05 model year.

Another option is to take "oemys" route and order the ScanGauge II geting the oil info and pick-up the ability to track your transmission temp.

Fred