Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #1

GM Workhorse Bent Tie Rod

2004 GeorgieBoy (20000miles) in shop for brake recall. Now told unit has a bent tie rod. Had unit towed into workhorse service center. Heard of loose,worn but not bent rod. Any help appreciated. Wondering if workhorse shop is making work. Have not been to see unit yet. Going on word of workhorse tech.
goffrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would say it is not out of then world of possibilities. I doubt it would easily bend, but if you had a "off road" or ran over something solid it could be bent. I suggest a visit to the shop to inspect the bent tie rod prior to authorizing work.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #3

If you replace the tie rod ask to have the old tie rod and then compare it with a new one. I am convinced that I was scammed one time by a national chain that I would like to mention but won't. In getting new tires and aligning the front wheels, they told me I needed a new tie rod and ball joints. This was on a car that was less than a year old. I took their advice because I was too busy to do otherwise. I have never used their service in the many years since and it launched my long DIY career.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A bent tie rod is easily seen (Take a straight edge and lay it up along side).

They can get bent in several ways INCLUDING but not limited to...

Debris in road (or running over something like a rock)

A big enough pot hole

Improper towing hookup (IN your case,,, I wonder).

and more.

Only option is replacement but if you go the "I want the part" you may also wish to watch them remove it and hand it to you... I mean, how do you know it's YOUR tie rod they hand you?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #5

And having replaced the tie rod you of course will need an alignment.
Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #6

Turns out it's not the tie rod, it's the front stabilizer bar. Same point of information. Will not authorize work. Should not effect tire wear for 60miles. Should beable to repair myself.To my knowledge it is attached between the 2 front leaf springs. Can the bar be bought separately and who sales it?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The bar can be bought. There are also several manufacturers that sell heavier duty replacement bars, this will help your handling, perhaps turning a negative into a positive.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #8

Back to square one. After going to dealer ,it is a bent bar that attaches to the tie rod.Being told by work horse you have to buy the complete assembly,2 tie rods and relay bar that goes to each tie rod. Anyone know where you can get just the long relay bar or can you have bar straightened without weakening it?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #9

Straightening the bent one might be an option for me, I am definitely old school on things like this. But you need to know why it bent in the first place. If it is too light for the job then it needs to be replaced.

Joe
jofo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by goffrobert View Post
2004 GeorgieBoy (20000miles) in shop for brake recall. Now told unit has a bent tie rod. Had unit towed into workhorse service center. Heard of loose,worn but not bent rod. Any help appreciated. Wondering if workhorse shop is making work. Have not been to see unit yet. Going on word of workhorse tech.
damn... is your coach yellow colored?? Sure sounds like a lemon.

Which shop did you bring it too in Jacksonville??
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

It surprises me that it handles fine at 65 mph. Showing no sign of alignment problem. Just wonder if it has been realigned with the bend.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #12

Weather Todd just got the rig 3 weeks ago evertime I look I find something else messed up. Even though I signed an "as is" I think the dealer should be liable becasuse of safety any inputs I would appreciate.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #13

Took it to Coggin on phillips Hwy. It's a workhorse dealer.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #14

the relay rod is probably hollow which prevents it from being straightened. Most aftermarket suppliers do not make this part, only the manufacturer. Bent relay rod will affect alignment the same as bent tie rod ends. Most likely damage from towing at one time or another since it is a pretty stout part. If the bend is very slight you may be able to get away with using it as adjusting the tie rod ends will replace any missing length due to the bend.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workhorse