Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #1

Grade brake

Does anybody know how the "Grade Brake" works on a 2006 Pace Arrow 37C 8.1L engine workhorse chassis,it doesn't seem to do anything when I turn the switch on. I don't see anything attached to the exhaust like a "Jake Brake", does it work with the transmission somehow? or is it a "Dummy" switch. Thanks for any advise!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #2

Described here...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/prop...ke-168704.html
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Interesting article with good info. Am I to understand that it is OK to spin the 8.1L engine up to 5,200 rpm?

Personally, I try to avoid rpm over 3,000 under load and 3,500 when descending a hill. I have the grade brake, but until now manually shift the 6 speed Allison on steep ascents or descents. Guess I am conservative with my power plant and driveline. Disclaimer: I have all day and part of tomorrow to do any hill.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
Does anybody know how the "Grade Brake" works on a 2006 Pace Arrow 37C 8.1L engine workhorse chassis,it doesn't seem to do anything when I turn the switch on. I don't see anything attached to the exhaust like a "Jake Brake", does it work with the transmission somehow? or is it a "Dummy" switch. Thanks for any advise!
Assuming that Fleetwood hooked it up correctly, the TGB switch allows the feature to work as designed when in the "on" position. It is a feature that accomplishes the same thing as a manual downshift using the lever.......BUT, the TGB will not cause a DS unless the TCM senses what the engineers call Negative Slip at the torque converter. Negative slip occurs when coasting downhill, so the TGB won't "normally" cause a DS on flat road stops, or "most" stop & go driving. It is designed to require a GRADE.

To answer your first question, YES it works to cause the tranny to downshift when the brake pedal is depressed and certain other conditions (NS & RPMs) are met. IMO, they should not call it a TG BRAKE, because most people think of brakes as friction. TGB is intended to help the driver cause a DS without taking his eyes off the road to shift the lever manually.

Hopefully you'll notice yours working next time you are in hilly terrain and apply the brakes for a few seconds.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will describe how it works for me.

Grade brake on: I apply the SERVICE brakes, and if the RPMs are within range it will downshift.. When the RPM's get too high it will upshift so as to keep the pistons INSIDE the engine where they belong.

(Allison transmissions are rather smart when it comes to that kind of thing).

Sometimes a 2nd application of the brakes will cause a second downshift. Sometimes not.

What it does not do is "Try to hold your speed" It may do that but it mostly assists the service brakes, Makes me use them a whole lot less coming down the mountain.

Oh, to disengage, Tape the accelerator, the tranny will almost instantly upshift (less you have slowed down too far).

I have heard discussion claiming that using it is not good.

I remain not convinced of that however.. And thus can not argue the point, either way.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using for for 52000 plus miles with no problems. It is always on.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

I leave it on all the time except for really long down grades. I to don't like the real high rpms. When it reaches 4000 on a down grade that's my max, then I will control it manually with the switch off. I don't like the trans possibly down shifting again when I have slow down even more using the brake pedal.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak View Post
I leave it on all the time except for really long down grades. I to don't like the real high rpms. When it reaches 4000 on a down grade that's my max, then I will control it manually with the switch off. I don't like the trans possibly down shifting again when I have slow down even more using the brake pedal.
The transmission control module will not let a downshift occur if the result will be an over-rev situation. It's a pretty reliable system...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Interesting article with good info. Am I to understand that it is OK to spin the 8.1L engine up to 5,200 rpm?

Personally, I try to avoid rpm over 3,000 under load and 3,500 when descending a hill. I have the grade brake, but until now manually shift the 6 speed Allison on steep ascents or descents. Guess I am conservative with my power plant and driveline. Disclaimer: I have all day and part of tomorrow to do any hill.

I do the same as you. NO, NO, NO I never let mine go over 4,000 for more than a few seconds even with the grade brake no matter what that article says or implies. I use the brakes to slow it down enough to blip the throttle to get it to upshift and lower the rpms. Too many 8.1 have come apart from frequent use over 4,000 rpm IMHO from anecdotal stories on this forum alone. The power peak is below 4000 anyway and I wont let the grade brake take me into danger either. Greg
Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320 View Post
The power peak is below 4000 anyway and I wont let the grade brake take me into danger either. Greg
Depends on the year.

The Specifications of an 8.1L Engine | eHow

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #11

Exhaust Brake

The brake will not operate when the transmission is in Overdrive.
RBAYBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBAYBE View Post
Then mine must not be working right - it will down-shift with moderate pressure on the brake pedal with no problem, and up-shift when the go-pedal is pressed. My overdrive switch has never been touched by me - I leave it in high overdrive all the time and let the transmission computer decide what gear is needed. Maybe you've got a different type of grade brake?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBAYBE View Post
My 06 works in overdrive as well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #14

Exhaust Brake

I have a 2005 Allegro Bay (since new) with a 1000 Allison and the exhaust brake never worked when I first got it. Couldn't figure it out......then I read the Allison Owners manual.....WOW, Quote: will not operated when in overdrive.??????? Has operated fine since.
RBAYBE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake