Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Grade brake upgrade from Brazel's RV

We are working on a grade brake kit for the early "W" series 2001-2004. For those of you who have a grade brake, you know how great they work. We will post the results as soon as we can.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike,

Are you looking to adding the Grade Braking to an Allison 1000 for thos eof us whose transmissions do not currently have that feature activated?

I have been talking and looking into doing this on mine by consulting with the lead Allison mechanic at the local Florida Detroit Diesel and Allison shop as well as talking with tech at Allison. I hav been hoping it may be possible to do this via a reprogramming of the computer and the addition of a simple switch to allow the enabling/disabling of the feature as desired. I have been told the mechanics (hydraulics?) are in place on all the 1000 series Allisons and it needs to be 'turned on' in order to enable it.

In the meantime, the folks at Allison suggested that I continue to just use my shift lever to do the downshifting when needed.....Although I sure would like to be able to downshift by touching the brake as a normal way to take off my speed, even on our very level Florida roadways, without having to depend so much on my service brakes. I have had two 'incidents' with my W-20 brakes to date and don't care to use them any more than necessary.

Please keep us informed and if I can assist, please let me know.

Thanks,
Capt Joe

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grade Brake Kit

Outstanding! I hope that it pans out.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I am waiting. Post when done.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Joe View Post
Mike,

Are you looking to adding the Grade Braking to an Allison 1000 for thos eof us whose transmissions do not currently have that feature activated?

Yes
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the reply, Jon. From my research into doing it, it sure looks like a doable deal. I've just been too busy to dig into it further. Does it look like you will be able to offer it as a field upgrade or will it need to be seen in your shop to upgrade? Long way from Florida to you guys...

Any idea as to possible costs on such an upgrade? As I mentioned above, I would sure help out if I could.

Well, back to loading the boat....My wife and I are headed over to Port St Joe tomorrow for a day of gathering the elusive scallop with our son, DIL and two grandsons. Ought to be a GREAT day. Don't know which is more trouble to load, the Winnie or the boat .....but worth every bit of work for either one.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

It's in the testing stages right now so I don't know what the costs are going to be but we are going to design it so that at the most you would only have to send us the TCM to be programmed and we would send it back with a wiring harness and switch to activate it. We will know more information soon and keep you all informed as to what we are able to come up with.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Jon....I'll be looking forward to the info on the finished product.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think this will be a really great addition. But, wouldn't you think that Allison should have done this ages ago? Keep up the good work, you all are an asset to the rv community.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jon;

This sounds really exciting to me. I have been doing this manually for years. I am on my 4th motor home and never had to replace the brakes on any of them.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Sign me up when it's ready!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FINALLY!!! I guess I need to plan a trip North. Put me on the list to Jon.

Jerry Ray

2003 35-E Bounder W-22
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Brazel's for continually trying to make our Rving more enjoyable and safe!!! Ultrapower rocks!!! I really think that this is a worthy upgrade because it would lessen our need to use our brakes, while instead allow our Allison to do the job better.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know it's about time you thought about trying to help stop our rigs with all of the extra horsepower of Ultrapower! A race car engine without race car brakes is dangerous!! Haha.