Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grease job?

How much grease should I use on the splined shaft fitting? A few pumps or enough to force grease out of the spline?

Also is there any lubrication required for the other part shown? What is it called by the way.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438107306579.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	101403   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438107332252.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	101404  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
grease

Yes a few pumps till you see grease at the splines, the other part is a carrier or mid ship bearing most are not grease able if you cant find a zerk it is not grease able mike
Old 07-28-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Agree, just pump grease until new grease shows at the end. No need to go overboard. The U-joint may also have grease fitting and you should grease it the same until new grease comes out.

The carrier bearing is a sealed bearing typically and there is no periodic maintenance to add grease. If there is a grease zerk, put some in there.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

In my experience grease will come out a small hole in the end cap, inside the yoke, before comming out the splines. Thats enough. Any more will pump out the hole anyway.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
In my experience grease will come out a small hole in the end cap, inside the yoke, before comming out the splines. Thats enough. Any more will pump out the hole anyway.
Put your finger over that little hole (next to the u-joint) while greasing the fitting (until grease pushes out of the opposite end) and the splines will be greased; otherwise, your just filling the void in the slip yoke with grease and it won't grease the spline.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I greased the u-joints and front end fittings. I'll have to look for the hole your talking about during our next trip, I'm going to put a few more pumps in after I drive a while. I've put off the grease job for a long time so I'll have to up my performance.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One more grease question. The W-22 live sheet says to luff the starting gear. I greased the lower end of the starting tiller but I didn't see any fittings. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438120804658.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	101421  
Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #8

What learned this week was very surprising to me, I have spent quite a bit of money trying to correct a loose feeling or lots of play in the steering, all money was spent at Redlands Truck and Rv, Before I had it greased I spook with Bear Aleinment in Grand Junction about the problem They told me when I got it greased to be sure the coach was jacked up to take pressure off the front wheels when the kink pin s were greased. I did this and it made all the diff. in the world with the steering. was told that in this model the weight on the wheels did not allow grease to get to king pins and that they corrected this by grooving a slot in the king pins. Don't know if all of this is true but. it worked for me. My next step before all of this was changing out the steering gear box.

--------------------
2008 28rb Trek on a 2007 Workhorse
GaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your advice on the kingpins I'll do that the next time I grease the chassis.