Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #1

Hi Folks:
Just recently arrived back from winter travels of 6,550 miles with our 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire on W24 Chassis...
Driving from Ontario to California in early November, handling was very disappointing,even under light wind conditions.Felt like the tail wagging the dog!!!!
In Jan. we had installed a Koni steering damper and a Davis Tru Trac(both on the front)
I experienced no improvement in handling...
Now I am thinking of a rear anti sway bar...Any suggestions would be appreciated....

3778 W24
paulmarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #2

Hi Folks:
Just recently arrived back from winter travels of 6,550 miles with our 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire on W24 Chassis...
Driving from Ontario to California in early November, handling was very disappointing,even under light wind conditions.Felt like the tail wagging the dog!!!!
In Jan. we had installed a Koni steering damper and a Davis Tru Trac(both on the front)
I experienced no improvement in handling...
Now I am thinking of a rear anti sway bar...Any suggestions would be appreciated....

3778 W24
Old 05-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Before you consider adding an anti-sway bar, I would suggest a Henderson Super Steer Track Bar. I would also like to suggest that you rule out the front end alignment. Make sure the FEA is perfect. What kind of pressures are you running in your tires?

Although I run Koni FSD shocks, I haven't seen a Koni steering damper, what's that look like?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:47 AM   #4

Perhaps some description of the handling troubles would help the members to better to assist. Is this in heavy wind, rough roads, porposing, awing, wondering, etc.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:10 AM   #5

Since I already have two steering assists on the front,at a considerable cost,I hesitate to keep adding to the front assists.I will certainly have the FEA checked.
Pressure in tires Front 100 PSI Duals 95 PSI.
The Koni Steering damper is very similar to the Safe T Plus Bar.
Thanks so much for your input....

3778 W24
Old 05-13-2006, 05:14 AM   #6

All winds affect the handling.Sidewinds,light,moderate,heavy winds,and passing trucks...No porposing,but the rig wanders..It takes constant correcting.

3778 W24
Old 05-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with DriVer. Go with the Henderson Super Steer rear track bar. I had the same problems with my W22 that you have with your rig. The Henderson bar was the single greatest improvement that I made to the W22. Plus it is easy to install.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

For wandering, a track bar is the usually answer. Generally speaking, if the steering is fidgety (requires constant small corrections) a front track bar will fix it. If the motion is broader, a "yawing" from side to side, then a rer track bar is a better solution. I'm surprised, though, that the Davis Tru-trac did not provide at least some improvement in any case. That makes me wonder if there might be some other, more fundamental problem.

As Driver has suggested, get the front end alignment perfect. Also weigh the rig on all four corners and then set the tire pressure according to the tire manufacturer weight tables. You could also try to shift weight forward - sometimes even a few hundred pounds moved from a rear bays toward the front will help a lot. Weight at or behind the rear axle is your enemy! But sometimes the coach manufacturer just distributes the basic body weight poorly and all you can do is fine tuning it a little.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Paulmarg,

Take DriVer's advice - have a competent large truck front end and suspension shop verify the FE alignment first. My rig also required very active steering. Even tho dealer adjusted it, truck shop did it over and cured the problem.

Also verify axle loading, F/R and corners.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #10

Thanks for the input....Is the Henderson Super Steer Track bar for the rear...By the wording in the name,I assumed it was for the front...
We have an appointment at Newmar in June,as our windshield has shifted.It has moved upward on driver's side at least 1/4 inch as indicated by the white showing below rubber at bottom...Has
anyone ever heard of this happening?
We are very careful with weight distribution,and have very little beyond rear axle.
All suggestions are appreciated...

3778 W24
Old 05-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulmarg:
Thanks for the input....Is the Henderson Super Steer Track bar for the rear...By the wording in the name,I assumed it was for the front...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Henderson calls it a Super Steer because what happens in the back ultimately affects the steering input that happens in the front.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paulmarg:
We have an appointment at Newmar in June,as our windshield has shifted.It has moved upward on driver's side at least 1/4 inch as indicated by the white showing below rubber at bottom...Has
anyone ever heard of this happening?
We are very careful with weight distribution,and have very little beyond rear axle.
All suggestions are appreciated... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard of windshield issues such as popping out when jacked too much in the front in very unlevel situations. Try a search with that in mind...

Marty
Old 05-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #13

I also have a 05 Moutain Aire that does the same thing! allways steering. Where do I start? Front or rear?

San Diego
nobuggybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nobuggybob:
I also have a 05 Moutain Aire that does the same thing! allways steering. Where do I start? Front or rear? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You can start by reading the Chassis upgrades that I accomplished at the top of this forum. I started with the rear track bar and it made a 65% improvement in the way my motorhome tracked down the road.

Again make absolutely sure you have an excellent front end alignment and your tires pressures are properly set before you start fixing issues with your wallet.