RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hard brake pedal fix?

ok, hard brake pedal, low braking power. its scary coming off the freeway or down a steep hill. front calipers n rotors look good. rear calipers look rusty around joints and pins. rotors are rusty. took it to local w/h shop today. they say can't find anything wrong! are theese people awake? anyway what else would cause a hard pedal and bad braking? i will try to take the rears down myself. any sugestions would be very helpfull. my 04 had wonderfull brakes. bought this one new a year ago march. going to wa. from az. soon so i need brakes for the big hills.
thanks dave

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

You are right to suspect that something is not right. If the rust is not being scrubbed off the rear rotors, then I think it is a safe bet that the pads are not making conact. That would explain the poor braking performance. I don't know why the pedal would be "hard".

Was there any explaination regarding the rusty rotors from the Workhorse dealer? Are you sure they actually checked the rears or did a test drive? ED

edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #3

Perhaps a stuck piston or two in the caliper(s)? Would make for a hard feel pedal and a loss of stopping power.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
they said they looked at everything and drove it. geting a bad tast in my mouth. too many issues w/h won't address. this is second new workhorse for us that are 3 years apart. have same problems with new one as old. somehow that doesn't seem right. workhorse if your watching, your loosing me.
dave

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #5

Please go to the workhorse website and use the "rate this dealer" function to report your dis-satisfaction with the result of the service received. You should also call roadside assistance at 877-946-7731 and ask them to get involved. Assuming you are still in warranty, IMO, you need to INSIST that something is not right and you want another opinion. Please don't write off the entire company based on an independent dealer's failure to find the problem. ED
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon man View Post
they said they looked at everything and drove it. geting a bad tast in my mouth. too many issues w/h won't address. this is second new workhorse for us that are 3 years apart. have same problems with new one as old. somehow that doesn't seem right. workhorse if your watching, your loosing me.
dave
i dont think wh has problems with your chassis series so it must be something on your coach id try a different wk service shop for another answers
UltraClassicElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hard pedal and low power suggests an issue with the brake booster system to me.

True story: (Well GM is a workhorse spinoff) I should know it's true as, well I"m telling it in first person (And I'm party of the part as it were)

Took my car (GM product) to local dealer, they commented on excessive pedal travel (I had noticed it too) had 'em look it over, twice, no problem found, did a minor adjustment, seemed to help a little. but alas, no joy

Finally put my mind to work on it,, NOTE: NOT my wrenches, my MIND. Sitting at a desk I begin to visualize the brake system (Front disc, not much there that could cause excessive pedal travel, rear drum. .AH HA, That has got to be it!!!!

Took car elsewhere (Than dealer) and told George (The assistant mangaer) have the technician mic the drums (Micrometer)

Watched the measurement.. Did not look at the readings just watched him do the job (he did it properly by the way, I dont' have the proper micrometer for this job)

Went in and ask George how much new drums would cost me

That, was that, 2 new drums, a new set of rear shoes, one new adjuster (i'd already done the other one) and ... Good as new