Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have I believe a W-20 chasis......it's an 03 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS.........the ride is fine if the road is perfectly smooth........but if it gets a little rough, it beats the heck out of you and the motorhome. Very sharp, jarring ride. I installed Koni shocks and that helped the handling some, but didn't seem to change the ride. I'm carrying about 90psi in the tires....which are Goodyears, new about 1 year ago. Any recommendations on improving the ride? Reason for the 90psi in the tires is for best mpg. Thanks for the info.
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have I believe a W-20 chasis......it's an 03 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS.........the ride is fine if the road is perfectly smooth........but if it gets a little rough, it beats the heck out of you and the motorhome. Very sharp, jarring ride. I installed Koni shocks and that helped the handling some, but didn't seem to change the ride. I'm carrying about 90psi in the tires....which are Goodyears, new about 1 year ago. Any recommendations on improving the ride? Reason for the 90psi in the tires is for best mpg. Thanks for the info.
Brian
Old 10-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. Shocks are supposed to absorb shocks, however it's a trade off.. By my standards the better the shock the better the handling and.. The harsher the ride.. Some folks like a smoother ride (this means the handling is not as good)

Another thing you said "I'm carrying 90psi in the tires" you did not say, nor do I suspect you know, the proper pressure for those tires

Two or three pressures all but guarenteed to be wring are

1: Pressure stamped on the sidewall (This is the proper pressure for the maximum weight stamped next to it only)

2: The pressure on your sticker inside (This may be proper if the rig's empty)

3: The pressure at time of delivery (Be it of the rig or a new tire)

Have the rig weighed by someone like Aweigh-We-Go (The RV safety institute) and inflate per the chart they give you.. This may result in different pressures in different tires
Old 10-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I just weighed my rig about a month ago at the local Feed & Grain store. Then I weighed the 4 corners with my own scales to verify the weights. I needed to add 5 lbs to the rear tires.

After checking the weights I add some weight to the heaviest wheel on the frt/rear axle for a cushion. Now I check the charts and see if I need to add air. I am running 90 psi all around and the coach is about 2,000 lbs UNDER the GCVWR pulling the toad.

GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating This the maximum allowable loaded weight of the motorhome and any towed trailer or vehicle.

If this all works out... Replace the Bilstein's with a set of Koni's. A bit expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I did it.