Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
?#1 would workhorse reimburse you if you change the calipers and would you still be on the recall list? ?#2 why couldn't we go to a navistar dealer thats close to us instead of driving 50 to 100 miles away with brakes that might not work. sorry to vent
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanSC View Post
?#1 would workhorse reimburse you if you change the calipers and would you still be on the recall list? ?#2 why couldn't we go to a Navistar dealer thats close to us instead of driving 50 to 100 miles away with brakes that might not work. sorry to vent
bmanSC, You are not venting in my opinion but are asking legitimate questions.

1. Workhorse will not reimburse you unless the work was done under the terms of the Interim Notice using the Interim Repair Procedures. Workhorse will "replace" any Bosch 66 mm caliper that you may choose to install on your vehicle free of charge as a stop gap or emergency repair under the terms of the recall.

2. There are Navistar Dealers that are on the list of Authorized Repair Centers. If the Navistar dealer is not able to handle motorhome repairs that's on them not Workhorse. I can find an authorized service center for you here in SC or close by if you need that information. If you come to Myrtle Beach, drop me a line, I'll meet you and we can go and do lunch. How's that?

3. Unless your brakes are not working at the moment then you may have to be hooked to a service center BUT I expect that you should be able to drive the 50 to 100 miles to a service center. Proceed with caution and use the brakes when required.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
driver thanks for your answers and thanks for all the help with everyone else's question's. i have learned alot the next time i head to the beach i llike to meet for lunch thank you kurt
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I can tell from all the responses I am one of the exceptions. Have been driving my rig for 4 summers now. The brakes wern't a problem when I bought my coach and haven't been since.

That being said I wonder if a class action lawsuit could help our cause? Specifically to Workhorse and Bocsh - anybody an attorney out there?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Heart View Post
That being said I wonder if a class action lawsuit could help our cause? Specifically to Workhorse and Bosch - anybody an attorney out there?
Rocket Heart, I would urge that we not use this forum to debate Legal issues and or Class Action Lawsuits if at all possible.

NHTSA has released a campaign, Workhorse has announced a voluntary recall and Bosch is in the production phase of making the NextGen calipers. I do not see where this issue is not moving toward closure. I am confident that this issue will be in a final phase of resolution before the end of the year.

According to the timeline that I have researched on NHTSA and endorse, you will not have any thing to worry about for another 2 years. By that time the campaign will have been well underway and may even be approaching a conclusion. In the interim I would urge you to flush your brake fluid per the recommendations in the Brake Resource Center.

If you feel that you need legal representation please do so on your own accord.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
That being said I wonder if a class action lawsuit could help our cause? Specifically to Workhorse and Bocsh - anybody an attorney out there?
Although this sounds good, but in practical terms it isn't. I am part of a one in California that's filed against Firestone (Steeltex Tires) and it been longer than the Workhorse brake issue. They wanted me to save my tires. I did for about 5 years until they were so rotten they almost fell apart when I moved them. In the end the only people that really make any money is the LAWYERS.

Although this brake issue has dragged on for long time I what to think we are seeing the light at the end of the even though it is 5 year old holding a birthday candle.

OBTW - Search the net and you will find a law firm or two that has stated looking at this. But, hang on to your wallet as the usually what some up front nonrefundable money with no GUARANTEES. Plus you will be asked for more money or wave part of your share of the settlement. Been there and DIDN'T do that.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
BTW - Search the net and you will find a law firm or two that has stated looking at this. But, hang on to your wallet as the usually what some up front nonrefundable money with no GUARANTEES. Plus you will be asked for more money or wave part of your share of the settlement. Been there and DIDN'T do that.
There were some lawyer types that were trying to solicit owners at the Workhorse Club Rally in California and I believe that they were asked to leave. None of the almost 100 people there retained legal services.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was only a half hearted suggestion about the lawsuit - not a fan of lawyers myself - I guess my point is the squeaky wheel gets the grease - as one or two people complain usually nothing is accomplished - there is strength in numbers - maybe hitting the news wires would help? Nobody likes bad PR.

Accepting a dangerous situation and sitting on our collective butts is not the answer - this problem is long over due for a viable and rapid solution.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #51

Quote:
Was only a half hearted suggestion about the lawsuit - not a fan of lawyers myself - I guess my point is the squeaky wheel gets the grease - as one or two people complain usually nothing is accomplished - there is strength in numbers - maybe hitting the news wires would help? Nobody likes bad PR.

Accepting a dangerous situation and sitting on our collective butts is not the answer - this problem is long over due for a viable and rapid solution.
You are correct that the media is our only means of speeding this up at present, but as long as they have been hammered on the internet, they don`t seem to give a d%$# about their reputation.
I can`t believe that in such a weak market that a company would work so hard to kill their own market share.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I can`t believe that in such a weak market that a company would work so hard to kill their own market share.
Spoonman, What is killing the market share is the lack of an engine and not any problem with a brakes. You can take that to the bank.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Spoonman, What is killing the market share is the lack of an engine and not any problem with a brakes. You can take that to the bank.
You can put whatever company spin you want on this issue, fact is this brake issue and their lack of response to it have severely damaged their reputation. Don`t expect we will ever agree on this, the self inflicted damage started well before the demise of the 8.1 was announced.
I totally understand you have to protect your position with the company.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #54

Finally tired of waiting for WH recall after 3rd brake sieze up, I have decided to replace the two remaining calipers myself. WH paid for first one. Rivers Rv charged me $450.00 for 2nd one(WH refused to pay) . Ordered two left side calipers from NAPA for 100.00 each. There is a core charge but I will get that back when I return the old calipers. I can do two calipers myself for 200.00 and be done for a while at least. Bosch part # is 4153269 crosses to NAPA # MBIRH55849x.
graddy0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by graddy0051 View Post
Finally tired of waiting for WH recall after 3rd brake sieze up, I have decided to replace the two remaining calipers myself. WH paid for first one. Rivers Rv charged me $450.00 for 2nd one(WH refused to pay) . Ordered two left side calipers from NAPA for 100.00 each. There is a core charge but I will get that back when I return the old calipers. I can do two calipers myself for 200.00 and be done for a while at least. Bosch part # is 4153269 crosses to NAPA # MBIRH55849x.
$450 for one caliper, these people have no conscience.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Driver, my MH cant travel 20 miles without the brakes dragging real bad. If I replace the calipers myself will WH reinburse me? We have a trip planned for next week and I am very leary about it. I do everything I can to keep the brakes cool and they still heat up and drag. Thanks, Tom