RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #1

I heard today from an Airstream technician that Workhorse has discontinued the W22 and W24 chassis, replacing them with a W30. This gentleman added that because of this, Airstream is not building any more Land Yachts.

Is he blowing smoke? Is there any truth to this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #2

I heard today from an Airstream technician that Workhorse has discontinued the W22 and W24 chassis, replacing them with a W30. This gentleman added that because of this, Airstream is not building any more Land Yachts.

Is he blowing smoke? Is there any truth to this?

Old 11-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Workhorse is replacing the "P30" with the new W18 chassis.The main difference is the W18 is going to be a straight axle,where as the P30 is an independant suspension.

Mike
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kenkap:
I heard today from an Airstream technician that Workhorse has discontinued the W22 and W24 chassis, replacing them with a W30. This gentleman added that because of this, Airstream is not building any more Land Yachts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Those are not the facts as I know them.

According the RV Business the preeminent RV industry publication, Thor Corporation's, Airstream Land Yacht is scheduled to be built on the "new" W18 chassis.

PS: There is no truth to the rumor that there is anything coming down the road that remotely looks like a W30.

PPS: There is no truth to the rumor that Workhorse is going to obsolete its W22 and W24 motorhome chassis.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:23 AM   #5

Just FYI...There is no chassis as the "P-30" from Workhorse. The P-32 is the Workhorse Chassis.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Just FYI...There is no chassis as the "P-30" from Workhorse. The P-32 is the Workhorse Chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Front Range RVer, Quite to the contrary. Workhorse continued to build narrow track (69.7") and back fill orders from General Motors. These units were built on the current production facilities in Union City even before the roof was completed. These units were P30s. The narrow track P30 chassis was continuously built up until MY 2000 in a 12,800 GVW rating by Workhorse. You might see one if you look at the 7 digit of the VIN# it might have a 1 or a 2.

These units were delivered to the OEMs and motorhomes were built on them.

The change to P32 came on 11-22-99 and the front track was 13.25 inches wider. The P32 remains the widest track gas powered IFS motorhome delivered to the RV industry.

As of July the P series as it has become to be known which encompasses all A frame sprung IFS front suspensions was retired. The new replacement is the W16 and the W18.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[
quote from driver
The change to P32 came on 11-22-99 and the front track was 13.25 inches wider. The P32 remains the widest track gas powered IFS motorhome delivered to the RV industry.

QUOTE]
That's interesting Driver! What is the front track? How wide the front wheels are apart? What does IFS mean? Unlike some people, I don't really have any complaints on how my Damon handles, maybe that's why. Thanks
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
That's interesting Driver! What is the front track? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The front track is the distance between the centerline of the front tires.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How wide the front wheels are apart? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The front track on a P-32 is 82.95 inches<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What does IFS mean? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Independent Front Suspension <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Unlike some people, I don't really have any complaints on how my Damon handles, maybe that's why. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Just FYI...There is no chassis as the "P-30" from Workhorse. The P-32 is the Workhorse Chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Front Range RVer, Quite to the contrary. Workhorse continued to build narrow track (69.7") and back fill orders from General Motors. These units were built on the current production facilities in Union City even before the roof was completed. These units were P30s. The narrow track P30 chassis was continuously built up until MY 2000 in a 12,800 GVW rating by Workhorse. You might see one if you look at the 7 digit of the VIN# it might have a 1 or a 2.

These units were delivered to the OEMs and motorhomes were built on them.

As of July the P series as it has become to be known which encompasses all A frame sprung IFS front suspensions was retired. The new replacement is the W16 and the W18. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Careful Driver, there is nothing about the GM/Workhorse P-Series chassis that is more shrouded in mystery than the P-30 vs. P-32 issue. The first official reference to P-32 was for 1996 chassis, long before the sale of the tooling to UCBC. I used to have shop manuals that refered to motorhome chassis as P3', P-30's & P-32's, however, nothing in the chassis VIN # designates which vintage a particular chassis is.

Workhorse may have chosen to use P-30 & P-32 as nomenclature to delineate the narrow & wide front wheelbase chassis models, but the P-32 chassis designation was around for some time prior and for reasons I could never fathom.

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan554:
Workhorse may have chosen to use P-30 & P-32 as nomenclature to delineate the narrow & wide front wheelbase chassis models, but the P-32 chassis designation was around for some time prior and for reasons I could never fathom. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Asked Winston about that last weekend and he is the person that wrote the TSB about the change.

He came to GM when the P was born and I believe he has been supporting that chassis since its inception until GM sold off the product to WCC.

P has been used for a long time by GM as a designation for "commercial vehicle" so there's no doubt that its been around for a long time.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Driver-easy question. what is the wheelbase of my W22?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dengraham:
Hey Driver-easy question. what is the wheelbase of my W22? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Your wheelbase is the same as mine at 248". Thanks for the easy one, I needed that.